Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Self-imposed game handicaps

Started by Cerys, September 14, 2016, 10:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: Cerys on February 16, 2018, 05:47:20 PM
I will now embark of a playthrough of Tomb Raider without killing anything apart from the bosses I have to kill to progress through the game.

Yeah - no.  This did not work.  Maybe if the character control was better, but as it stands it's too damn frustrating.

I am currently working through FF9 with only physical attacks, items and limit breaks.  Just started Disc 3.

Malcy

Quote from: Cerys on March 20, 2018, 05:15:43 PM
Yeah - no.  This did not work.  Maybe if the character control was better, but as it stands it's too damn frustrating.

Must have been difficult. I can imagine the bats got annoying!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on February 16, 2018, 06:28:56 PM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a LOT of opportunity for these playthroughs too. SO much choice.
Getting "Pacifist" and "Foxiest of the Hounds" in one run was one of my favourite ever gaming moments ("Ghost", too, but you can get that just on one level). I like that in "Mankind Divided", you don't even have to kill the bosses either - although one-shotting the final boss with that killswitch is a bit of a laugh too.

Cerys

Quote from: Malcy on March 20, 2018, 05:27:53 PM
Must have been difficult. I can imagine the bats got annoying!

You have no idea.

Cerys

Bump

Quote from: Cerys on January 14, 2018, 05:40:52 PM
I had to use the Chocobo Lure once to get across the marsh, but apart from that there's been no materia use at all.

Not this time.  This time I zoomed past the phallic cunt on about the twelfth attempt.  Hah!

Dewt

If you told me that was possible when I was 14 it would have done strange things to me.

Cerys

I sense that there's a story there....

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on February 16, 2018, 08:36:19 PM
It'd be more fun if feeding the little buggers didn't require a tap of the button for each portion of greens.  My thumbs hated me by the end.

I was fucked over on that because I altered the controls so X was the select button instead of O (ie. the Western default rather than the Japanese one). Unfortunately the implementation of the alternative control scheme was bugged and made it impossible to feed or breed Chocobos. Only realised what had happened after I finished the game.

Cerys

That truly sucks.  Reminds me of being stuck at the Bone Village because my customisation of the keys made it impossible to climb the ladders there - and for some reason only there.

Cerys

Bump!

Replaying Resident Evil now, using only the knife as my weapon.

On 'Very Easy', though, because I am a wimp.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That sounds like no fun at all.

bgmnts

Knife only runs are probably one of the more popular runs in the RE community. I think speedrunners do it a lot too. Can't imagine it myself, the bosses themselves oof.

Cerys

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that.  Although I'm pretty sure they're not all compulsory.  We shall see.

Utter Shit

I'm a cunt for this sort of thing. The handicaps I impose are generally about maintaining realism. Immersion is the key to my enjoyment of games, and exploiting overpowered moves/tactics drag me out of it. So in Football Manager I don't allow myself to take advantage of any knowledge I have that the AI managers don't have - for example knowledge gleaned from previous saves where I've played for a few years and know which players are likely to get good, or tactics that I know are overpowered. And in FIFA I won't score cutback goals, which are unrealistically easy to engineer.