Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

& this children, is why you should never help out anyone EVER!

Started by mook, September 18, 2016, 04:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

remember that old feller from gateshead who got whomped up the side of head & that lass got all internetty & crowd funded him a third of a million quids?

here they are.

well, the lass somehow got involved with a PR lady to help raise awareness of the old feller's plight & now she has to cough up ~ £6000 grand for work done or she'll have her chattels hoiked away by men in cheap suits.

the old boy is willing to lob her a tenner, cos:

Quote from: mine all mine"It might seem hard but if I start handing it out, other people might ask for money. It was given to me on the understanding that I use it for myself."

what do you reckon to that then you bastards?

Glebe

Large Noise

Just goes to show that you should never help anyone (as per thread title).

Ambient Sheep

For anyone who, like me, hadn't heard about this and was curious to learn more, here's some links to save you Googling:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/16/muggim-victim-alan-barnes-offers-small-donation-fundraiser-katie-cutler

The real WTF?! in that story is that she's defending the fucker:

QuoteCutler defended Barnes's offer telling the Mirror: "I do not think Alan should have to pay anything. Like me, he did not sign anything.

"A lot of people think he should have paid that bill because things in that relate to him. If you go out for a meal, the richest person does not have to foot the bill. I feel strongly about this.

"The money raised was Alan's and that money was for him - it should stay with him. He can do what he wants with it."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alan-barnes-angel-furious-trolls-8849691 includes some more from the PR firm, who seem reasonable: apparently they offered her a payment plan and have been chasing this for a year, but she ignored all their contacts, forcing them to take her to the small claims court.

A fuller version of his quote is here:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alan-barnes-breaks-silence-over-11892961

QuoteHe said: "I would suggest that someone sets up a small fund to raise money to pay for Katie's PR.

"It's not a big amount and I think a lot of people would actually like to do that for Katie. I'm quite happy to put just a small donation in because I don't want to show off."

When asked how much he was willing to donate, Alan said: "A small amount to me is £10 or something."

He added: "It's easy for people to say 'he's got a lot of money, cough up' but you got to look into all the alternatives.

"It might seem hard but if I start handing it out, other people might ask for money. It was given to me on the understanding that I use it for myself.

"A lot of people just want it to stay with me."

But then you read this (the URL says it all)...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/17/woman-who-fundraised-for-alan-barnes-actually-hired-pr-firm-to-get-her-on-celebrity-big-brother-6133573/

...and suddenly things start to make a wee bit more sense.

Glebe

Ricky Gervais should sell a tiny portion of his £10 million house and give her the money. Great publicity, might get a few more people going to his movie.

Spoon of Ploff

I suggest the old fellow is feigning being 'tight as a gnat's chuff' because he's more or less burnt through the entire lot. If Ron Hayward had taught us anything it's that pay-per-view can get expensive if you're really into it.

Natnar

He shouldn't pay a penny to her considering she used his mugging to get herself her 5 minutes of fame. Was she actually raising money for him because she wanted to help him or just to help herself become a celebrity?

Nowhere Man

Steven

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 18, 2016, 08:27:49 AM
Blimey, Ron's looking a bit rough these days.

He's almost dessicated having wanked every ounce of moisture out of his body, on the plus side all that protein spilling out all over the shop has done wonders for Ann's skin.

mr beepbap

ha ha thats hilarious.  Hiring a pr firm a highly suspicious move if youre just looking to raise a few quid for one person. Makes me glad I avoid giving to charity as much as possible , plenty of people take their cut and then you got the do-gooder milking it like fuck

Porter Dimi

I know you should never read the comments, but I did stumble across this:

QuoteCheck out the dates, Alan was given his cheque in February 2015, yet the PR Company wasn't employed until March 2015.  The PR Co. Was hired to help her set up her own charity, not to raise money for Alan.

Hmm. If that's the case, maybe he's seen through her self-aggrandising BS and wants to teach her a lesson? Also, I agree that the money raised was for him, and even if he does wish to be a miser with it, those who paid into the GoFundMe intended it to go to him. I wouldn't be particularly pleased if I paid to a charitable cause and the money ended up going to some PR company[nb]I suspect this happens rather a lot[/nb].

BlodwynPig

I was going to start a spin-off to the desolation thread called "Modern Britain" and this story would fit right in.

No winners. Apart from Dessicated Ron in his mink fur.

Icehaven

I'd imagine if it'd actually worked and she'd become some kind of celeb they'd not be after her for cash because they wouldn't need to be, they'd just be taking a cut of her appearance fees as they went along, but as there aren't any they're just trying to recoup some costs and presumed the little fella would cough up once he heard. Bet they didn't see his tightwadiness coming though.
And as for her 'hiring' them, I'd imagine the conversation went something like;

PR firm, running towards her; ''Hi person who's done something good that's gone viral, want to be a STAR? We can make it happen. Celeb BB, Get Me Out Of here, the works, this time next year you'll be everywhere, whaddya think?''

Woman;'' Alright, why not, sounds fab.''

PR Firm; ''Great!! It's going to be great, you're going to be huuge, ofcourseifitdoesn'tworkoutwe'llneedsomecashforourtroublebut don't worry about all that, we'll let the boring old legal eagles thrash all that out shall we? Now come this way, makeup!!...''

Max Clifford may be out of action but he's far, far from the only person who magically appears at the side of anyone having their 15 minutes.

Howj Begg

Depressed Beyond Tables

Latest reports are stating that Alan Barnes is now a majority stakeholder in the PR Firm.

mook

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on September 18, 2016, 02:01:07 PM
Latest reports are stating that Alan Barnes is now a majority stakeholder in the PR Firm.

haha... do you reckon he's playing the long game then?

Dex Sawash

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on September 18, 2016, 08:00:56 AM
I suggest the old fellow is feigning being 'tight as a gnat's chuff' because he's more or less burnt through the entire lot.

I had wondered the same thing myself.

Quote from: Porter Dimi on September 18, 2016, 10:05:57 AMI know you should never read the comments, but I did stumble across this:

QuoteCheck out the dates, Alan was given his cheque in February 2015, yet the PR Company wasn't employed until March 2015.  The PR Co. Was hired to help her set up her own charity, not to raise money for Alan.

Hmm. If that's the case, maybe he's seen through her self-aggrandising BS and wants to teach her a lesson?

Interesting.  Wouldn't surprise me.

Quote from: icehaven on September 18, 2016, 12:25:10 PMI'd imagine if it'd actually worked and she'd become some kind of celeb they'd not be after her for cash because they wouldn't need to be, they'd just be taking a cut of her appearance fees as they went along, but as there aren't any they're just trying to recoup some costs and presumed the little fella would cough up once he heard. Bet they didn't see his tightwadiness coming though.
And as for her 'hiring' them, I'd imagine the conversation went something like...

Yeah.  As mook said in your karma, probably not far off at all.  Excellent hypothesis, nicely put.

Pijlstaart

Bet he's easy to rob, she'll be able to charge right in there and rob all his money. He might have made little scurry holes, like a badger sett, so he can move around faster than the huge pie-filled burglars of the north-east, but I reckon he's too tightfisted for that, wouldn't shell out for a spade.  She's a beautician, right, they're not a moral people. They're not, they're bad. I've never spoken to one, but they're awful, I remember children who wanted to be beauticians. Beautishan't. It was WAG/Model, and if that didn't pan out then it was beautician. They'd all have wanted to go on celebrity big brother, so this woman probably did too, because she is a beautician and that it what they would do. 

Claude Balls

The lesson to learn here is: never crowd-fund for some poor unfortunate, unless you get your slice of the pie upfront.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Claude Balls on September 18, 2016, 03:16:21 PMThe lesson to learn here is: never crowd-fund for some poor unfortunate, unless you get your slice of the pie upfront.

So, not "be careful of using someone else's misfortune as an opportunity to get fame"?

Lemming

Even if she was capitalising on his mugging, she still got him £330k for doing fuck all. He might not legally owe her anything, but morally he definitely does.

Have to wonder if this isn't another PR scheme in itself - I can't bring myself to believe anyone would be enough of a cunt to offer £10 towards a £6k debt unless it was part of some kind of plan.

Captain Z

This is my feel-good story of the year[nb]In that I feel good for never contributing to charitable kickstarter campaigns[/nb]. The only way it could get better is if it turns out he was attacked in the first place by a previous fundraiser he snubbed.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Well I'd be watching if it was Big Brother with Alan and his debt-ridden Samaritan in a house together.

Day 23:

'Fuck off Mac and Me ye tight wad.'

mr beepbap

They'll probably have the mugger on there in a few series time.

MuteBanana

Just pay it. So what if she tried to become a celebrity. Alan is sitting on £330 fucking grand. Give her the money to clear the debts she got helping you out.

Just a cunt. Just a tight fisted cunt.

Karma Alan. Careful lad cos that bitch is going to bite you in the arse.

Depressed Beyond Tables

In fairness to the elderly Alan, karma bit him on the way into this world, so maybe that's not the best logic to take.

The man has probably had a tough life, with no thought for 'yer big brothers'.

Rev

Quote from: MuteBanana on September 18, 2016, 10:20:55 PM
Just pay it. So what if she tried to become a celebrity. Alan is sitting on £330 fucking grand. Give her the money to clear the debts she got helping you out.

However you slice it, all roads do lead back to that.  She could have racked up the debt investing in magic beans, it makes no difference - someone helped him out of a hole and now he's being a grippy cunt about reciprocating because he's got his.

This story is a great leveler, though.  Everyone I've mentioned it to has responded with 'oh, he's just like (person in their life)'.  The sun sets on favours and gratitude, and when the new day comes you can rinse off any nagging thought that you might want to act decently towards another person.