Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

National Treasure (Channel 4, Tuesdays 9pm)

Started by Ambient Sheep, September 19, 2016, 07:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: 23 Daves on October 13, 2016, 06:21:52 PM
I didn't pick up on that.

Me neither, and everything shown in flashback seemed to suggest that she was attracted to him and doing it out of choice.

MuteBanana

Wasn't there a scene with the daughter and babysitter. The babysitter telling the daughter to go to her room when Paul came home.

Seemed like she was protecting her to me.

Serge

Weren't they smoking just before that and she was trying to cover up that fact? Even if it wasn't that, the babysitter could have been worried that she'd be in trouble for keeping the kid up late or something.

KillJester

I'm fairly certain the babysitter's motives were no more complex than she wanted the daughter out of the way so she could seduce her dad. Obviously he was too much of an opportunist to tell her to do one, but I don't think the daughter was ever at any physical risk, because there's no way he could have rationalised that to himself, though it's pretty clear they were too close for comfort. Her putting up barriers against this was an explanation for her self-destructiveness - that's why her behaviour became a lot less unhinged when she dropped the hostilities.   

chocolate teapot

MuteBanana's point got me thinking, at first I dismissed it, thinking what KillJester posted but then I remembered the daughter's habit of counting when stressed then, when noticing that Paul had sent the taxi away, her sigh of relief '...6'. What was she relieved at?

23 Daves

Quote from: chocolate teapot on October 13, 2016, 10:36:28 PM
MuteBanana's point got me thinking, at first I dismissed it, thinking what KillJester posted but then I remembered the daughter's habit of counting when stressed then, when noticing that Paul had sent the taxi away, her sigh of relief '...6'. What was she relieved at?

I read that as her thinking that he'd put her in the cab to go home, not that she'd seen the cab was empty (because in earlier shots, it wasn't clear).

However, your reading also makes sense.

And also, the line "Why do you stare out of the window all the time?" Why is she doing that? Is it because she's desperately waiting for her father to get back because she hates spending time with the babysitter, or she's deeply worried about what's going to happen when he does get in? Or actually neither?

MuteBanana

Yeah because as I said before. Remember the look she was giving her Mum while hugging her Dad in the hospital in the flashback. It's like she was jealous of her Mum.

Then you have young Paul telling his daughter how he tries to hard to resist temptation for her. I think it was that. As if he was saying she was his number one and he turns down other girls for her.

George White

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 28, 2016, 05:14:04 PM
The same being true of Coltrane's character (he states in the first episode that he was born in Ireland, IIRC), how on earth does a Scots-Irishman acquire a surname like Finchley?  I see this as the main issue that needs to be addressed in this programme, and to really up the ante in terms of pedantry on this thread.

Walters' accent is all over the place, though.  Distracting.  The young Finchley did not a bad accent though.  Apparently the actor is a Welsh, so fair play, I'd have taken him for a middle-class western Scot.
Just remembered this.
I have a feeling the character was intended to be a Jim Davidson type, because the press releases state he was originally called Jack Finchley. Someone who wasn't quite of the old guard, who came to prominence in the 70s, while fairly young - someone of the New Faces generation, but definitely wasn't an alternative.

Quote from: George White on December 03, 2018, 08:45:16 AM
Just remembered this.
I have a feeling the character was intended to be a Jim Davidson type, because the press releases state he was originally called Jack Finchley. Someone who wasn't quite of the old guard, who came to prominence in the 70s, while fairly young - someone of the New Faces generation, but definitely wasn't an alternative.

Not sure. Would've worked if NT was set in the 80s or 90s when Jim Davidson masked the scummy side of his career by becoming a family favourite presenting Big Break, Generation Game etc but this century he's pretty much widely regarded as a bastard.

Freddie Starr may be closer (pre his own brush with Yewtree, obvs) in that the public still had a certain fondness for his 70s/80s antics even if he was seen as belonging to another age.