Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

National Treasure (Channel 4, Tuesdays 9pm)

Started by Ambient Sheep, September 19, 2016, 07:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Guilty as charged, the documentary was shocking.

yesitsme

I got fed up.  I get fed up with ITV and Channel 4 Dramollocks that seems to exist only to cram in as many adverts as is feasible.  Stretching it out with silent stares in to the distance, sighs and anguished close ups I know is going to bite the viewer on the arse when the writers suddenly realise they've got seven minutes to wrap the whole thing up i the final episode.

The whole thing could have been done start to finish in an hour. 

Storytelling's fucked.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The whole thing was done and dusted in an hour. 47 minutes if you remove the ad breaks.

I didn't notice many silent stares, it was dialogue-driven for the most part.

Serge

I did think it was bit padded out with long 'artistic' shots of characters - well, mainly Coltrane - staring into space with moody music in the background. But only a bit. Excellent stuff otherwise, although I couldn't quite tell what was meant to be wrong with Andrea Riseborough's character - she was playing it a bit "I'm mad, me!" and not altogether convincingly  - but everyone else was spot on. Always like to hear the word 'cunt' being shouted on TV as well, so a winner in my book.

Did he do it? My money's on
Spoiler alert
I don't know
[close]

yesitsme

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 21, 2016, 11:29:40 AM
The whole thing was done and dusted in an hour. 47 minutes if you remove the ad breaks.

I didn't notice many silent stares, it was dialogue-driven for the most part.

My mistake, I got distracted I meant 'half an...'

I'm looking forward to the album tie-in release though, should be a good Christmas stocking filler.

Icehaven

Quote from: Serge on September 21, 2016, 11:37:49 AM
although I couldn't quite tell what was meant to be wrong with Andrea Riseborough's character - she was playing it a bit "I'm mad, me!" and not altogether convincingly  -

...OK that's weird, I know my TV is small but I absolutely thought that actress was the same one that played Niska in Humans. They have exactly the same voice, and I was just going to say how similar the two characters were and maybe it was just how she plays them, but nope, two totally different people.

Jobey

Good shit. Wonder if Rolf's tuning in from the can?

He's probably written an offensively self-pitying poem about it.

neardark

Does it really matter what type of comedian he's supposed to be jesus fucking christ

neardark

There's no way they can have it so he's innocent btw. It'd be too damaging in terms of making victims of sex abuse even more afraid of coming forward. Julie Walters is a bad actress.

Quote from: neardark on September 21, 2016, 05:33:17 PM
Does it really matter what type of comedian he's supposed to be jesus fucking christ

No, of course it fucking doesn't, you humourless fucking idiot. No one was seriously stressing over that minor detail.

Quote from: neardark on September 21, 2016, 05:38:03 PM
There's no way they can have it so he's innocent btw. It'd be too damaging in terms of making victims of sex abuse even more afraid of coming forward.

You're not the only one who's made that observation, most people watching will have the same concerns.

Julie Walters is a bad actress.

Ah, so that's what you're doing.

Just bumping this National Treasure thread, as Head Gardener has inexplicably contributed to the thread with fewer posts, lower down the page.

Steven

I just tried to watch this on 40D, and had to click something to confirm I was over 16 years old.

It's Political Correctness gone mad!

biggytitbo

Quote from: Steven on September 21, 2016, 07:51:51 PM
I just tried to watch this on 40D, and had to click something to confirm I was over 16 years old.

And did you tell the truth?

Icehaven

Quote from: neardark on September 21, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

On here, actually yes it does.

Don't let Coltrane[nb]Who is an actor playing an alleged paedophile, I can't stress that enough.[/nb] touch you with his special 3-D interactive gloves.

daf

Semantics schmemantics. It's not as if we're talking about the law here.

Rev

There's no way they can have it so he's innocent btw. It'd be too damaging in terms of making victims of sex abuse even more afraid of coming forward.

They do have to be careful with this.  What I suspect is that he'll be genuinely innocent of the original charge, but guilty of something that was shaken out as a result of it becoming public. 

Icehaven

The timing of her allegation, or of it being taken seriously by police anyway, is surely going to have something to do with it. It was the day after his comedy partner got a big award that he was presenting, so maybe there's going to be something about police holding off until it was either a better or worse time, or maybe the partner is even involved in it all more than he seems to be so far (when Coltrane showed him a picture of the first girl saying he didn't even remember her, McInnerny confidently said something like ''Well I didn't sleep with her.'') 

Dr Rock

I wanted to like this, but it was just too slow moving. Probably holding back clues that would make guessing the ending a bit too easy. And as has been said, he's not going to be innocent is he? They aren't going to make the woman liars, and I can't see how seven women could all be mistaking him for someone else. I'll keep watching though. For a while I was thinking it didn't really matter if it's slow moving as Coltrane is such a good actor he can carry my attention. But then I thought, well, he's not really, he's just alright. Perfect for this, but it needed a bit more oomph considering the wealth of potential in the subject matter.

neardark

I don't think it was ever meant to be a did he/didn't he. I assumed he was guilty from the moment of the first rape allegation as we all should.

Shaky

Quote from: neardark on September 23, 2016, 02:11:00 AM
I don't think it was ever meant to be a did he/didn't he. I assumed he was guilty from the moment of the first rape allegation as we all should.

You're joking, I take it. Surely the whole point of the program is that we can't make such an assumption?

KennyMonster

It striked me as a bit odd that when he went to shag that woman after meeting with his daughter, they seemed to go to lengths to blur out her naughty bits and show her from the right camera angles in order to remain tastful but right at the end they showed some full on tit action in the shower scene?!?

Mixed messages given out there for sure.

BUT MAYBE THAT'S THE POINT???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neveragain

Last night an old woman rang up Night Owls (local radio show round here) under the impression it was real, but asking who Paul Finchley was. "I just can't place him, and I'm 69!"

Quote from: Shaky on September 23, 2016, 03:50:28 AM
You're joking, I take it. Surely the whole point of the program is that we can't make such an assumption?

Yes. However this show eventually pans out, it's clear that the writer is questioning knee-jerk reactions to real-life cases such as this.

Serge

I assume that he will be guilty but that at least one of the allegations will prove to be false to show both sides of the issue.

Dr Rock

I think it will be like that Harrison Ford film, and it will turn out the wife did it.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

It has already happened that a TV star accused of rape was cleared in the court case (that Coronation Street actor).