Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:14:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quentin Dupieux

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 21, 2016, 12:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I saw Rubber (2010) a few years back and enjoyed it, though it's one of those films that I can completely understand people hating. To be honest I was fairly drunk that night so all I can remember is that it was a ridiculous, absurd piece, but one that bemused me greatly. Tonight I watched Wrong (2012) and hey, it's vaguely kind of more of the same. Though this has more of a conventional plot as it follows a guy called Dolph who's lost his dog, and the oddly wrong world he lives in. It's all rather silly in places but it's clearly a filmmaker having fun with an unusual concept, and I really enjoyed it. But yet again I'd not be surprised if people want to shit on the directors face.

I'd be interested in other people's view of the man, anyway, and whether or not any of his other films are worth watching. Or just talk about Flat Eric. One of my friends bought the puppet and fucked people off no end with it.

madhair60

I've seen what I think is his latest film, called Reality, which is a pretty fun, nonsensical send-up of the film commissioning process and has a very entertaining turn by Eric Wareheim.

I quite admire his attitude to his work as well, being quite honest and open about the fact that its very much weird for the pleasure of being weird, which endears me a lot more to him than if he tried to make some psuedo-intellectual justification for it. That's not to say his films are completely meaningless: supposedly Reality was informed by the experience of trying to pitch Rubber to studios, so perhaps that's the most logical thing for me to check out next!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on September 26, 2016, 01:09:40 PM
Well. I adore his music!

He does the soundtracks for the films so you should watch them for that reason alone.

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on September 26, 2016, 07:20:33 PM
I've seen what I think is his latest film, called Reality, which is a pretty fun, nonsensical send-up of the film commissioning process and has a very entertaining turn by Eric Wareheim.

I quite admire his attitude to his work as well, being quite honest and open about the fact that its very much weird for the pleasure of being weird, which endears me a lot more to him than if he tried to make some psuedo-intellectual justification for it. That's not to say his films are completely meaningless: supposedly Reality was informed by the experience of trying to pitch Rubber to studios, so perhaps that's the most logical thing for me to check out next!

That's what I like about the films as well, he could be accused of being massively self indulgent but I like the whimsical and strange worlds he creates, even if they are could be accused of lacking depth.

I watched Wrong Cops (2013) tonight, in which a bunch of small town cops are reasonably cuntish and get away with such behaviour as selling weed to people inside of dead rats, not being arsed to investigate a murder case, and
Spoiler alert
randomly killing people
[close]
scot-free. The cast includes Mark Burnham, Steve Little, and Eric Warheim, along with some fun cameos from Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie, and Marilyn Manson and it's a fun little movie. It's more conventional then Rubber or Wrong, but has a similar sense of humour, and even if it felt like Dupieux didn't quite know how to end it that didn't really spoil things, as it's more about the journey than the destination.

momatt

I really liked Rubber.  But it's so stupid and silly I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 21, 2016, 12:43:44 AM
One of my friends bought the puppet and fucked people off no end with it.

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2016, 01:06:15 AM
He does the soundtracks for the films so you should watch them for that reason alone.

He does, and they are very good.

zomgmouse

Only seen Rubber, Steak and Wrong Cops but I admire his output immensely; one of the very few true surrealists working out there in film right now.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched Steak tonight and enjoyed it to a certain extent, but it's pretty conventional by Dupieux's standards. It's almost like his version of Napoleon Dynamite with a selection of weird characters who are desperate to fit in, though there's enough unusual flourishes to make it it's own beast. It's biggest problem is that it ultimately feels a bit slight, and I'd say it was the weakest of the man's work, but if you're a fan you'll still probably like it well enough.

Small Man Big Horse

Le Daim aka Deerskin (2019) - I finally managed to track down a copy of Dupieux's latest last night, and it's another enormously fun film as we follow the life of a man who's separated from his wife who then finds himself rather too enamoured with a deerskin jacket, to the extent that he starts chatting away to it. Then after lying to a local barmaid he starts making a film where he asks people to never wear a jacket ever again so that he can be the only one, and that's just the beginning (well, the first third) of a film which is truly unique and all kinds of deranged. As Dupiueux efforts go it's actually quite straight forward plot-wise, but it doesn't stop it being a crazy delight, even if (as seemingly always) it's more about the journey than the destination. 8.1/10

And I thought I'd repost this as I didn't put it in the thread previously:

Au Poste! (2018) - More madness from Quentin Dupieux where what initially seems like a mundane police interrogation becomes a much stranger piece, a treatise on the nature of storytelling, memory and the unreliable narrator which is very funny stuff indeed, even if the final twist has left me feeling slightly perplexed. The performances are superb, the dialogue makes it fascinating and though I'm not often a fan of films which are mostly set in one location this is a gripping, beautifully absurd film and one I'd recommend to all. 8.1/10

alan nagsworth

Maybe I should get around to watching some of this stuff. From the trailers they have always looked like they'd be total shite but I do of course trust the opinions of people posting here.

I have long been a big fan of his music. His soundtrack work is great (I have a few of them on CD despite having never seen the films) but some of his "proper" albums are fuckin immense. "The Church" and "Stade 2" are full of upfront weirdo bangers and "Moustache (Half a Scissor)" is utterly bizarre and unique. Duck Guts is pure smash thru the kitchen window and kick your neighbours dog music.