Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Started by Puce Moment, September 21, 2016, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

So thanks for all your advice - in the end I went for the 8GB i5 model which I have to say that I am deliriously happy with. I got a £1,000 tax rebate out of the blue this week which pushed me to stump up the money. It is a truly sweet machine, fantastically fast and robust with an incredibly ergonomic design, so sits nicely on the lap, and functions as a super-duper tablet- or more like a powerful laptop with a detachable keyboard that can function like a tablet, which is exactly what I wanted.

The pen is amazing - with loads of really nice apps to illustrate or annotate PDF files in various ways. The Note function is lovely, and I can tell I will be using it a ton.

Anyway, cheers, and does anyone else have one?

wasp_f15ting

I got one last week.

I do a fair bit of consulting at the moment, and fuck me that pen is great. Perfect for tapping and taking complex notes / diagrams and then typing around it.

I really do wish they had made a bigger deal about this aspect. Also one you are in meetings you can record the meeting, take notes and then you can click at bullet points for example and it plays what was said!

That pdf app is amazing to for reviewing contracts, scrubbing and making notes. This is by far the most useful gadget I have ever bought. I love how it feels too!

There is a nice British made case for it which is water proof and really cushiony:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CushCase-Microsoft-Surface-Sleeve-Tablet/dp/B016X5I0T8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474497829&sr=8-4&keywords=cushcase

I am going to be using that when going on trips etc. I love how easy it is to type on it too.

If you use it for business process mapping, visio works a fucking treat too... more people should buy this device!
It can be had for around £700 on eBay etc.

I need to insure it since I am going to be travelling with it. Any options anyone?

Puce Moment

What are you using to record meetings and then syncing them to notes! Holy fuck, I haven't found that yet. For me, the ability to highlight and note on PDFs is a massive plus for work and for other stuff I tend to do, and the Notes function has already proved so useful. I thought the pen would end up being this gimmicky thing I would get rid of, like on the Samsung Note, but it is actually integral to the usefulness of the thing.

I have probably watched a hundred Surface videos on youtube, mainly to get the most out of it, and for accessories. This one is really nice - an art teacher using it in a bar, showing off a really nice illustrating add-on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWaD3AdhkIk

I'm going to be linking it with bluetooth to my TV so I will be running various videos on it, and netflix etc.

I ended up getting mine with an education discount which was really significant, so I am getting some accessories this week - bluetooth mouse, USB 3 dock, portable charger and a low-impact case - I'm going to go with a simple Incipio slim case rather than one of those military case things with the crappy plastic stand.

Puce Moment

OK, I found this rather good video explaining some of the Pro 4's features, including video and audio and simultaneous notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gauy34-Ogw

Shit blowing my tiny mind s.a.

mook

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on September 21, 2016, 11:45:53 PM

I need to insure it since I am going to be travelling with it. Any options anyone?

try asking your home contents insurers if they will cover it under that policy if you add it as a named item. worth a punt.

Puce Moment

Quote from: mook on September 22, 2016, 07:45:10 AMtry asking your home contents insurers if they will cover it under that policy if you add it as a named item. worth a punt.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Adding it to my pre-existing policy (home and travelling) for almost nowt.