Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Infiltrator (2016)

Started by Serge, September 22, 2016, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I couldn't see a thread on this, so hope this isn't a duplicate...

Just got back from seeing this. Pretty good in a this-will-not-change-your-life-in-any-way, er, way, unless you didn't know anything about America's drug wars, in which case maybe it will (though if you don't, may I point you towards a couple of Don Winslow books you might find interesting?) Although 'based on real events', it's a familiar story of a man going undercover to bust some bad guys and going through a lot of bad shit on the way. If you like this kind of thing - as I do - then you'll like this. And it helps that the man in this case is played by Bryan Cranston.

Yeah, we all know how good he is, but the chance to sit through two hours of Prime Cranston should never be turned down. Playing the conflicted Robert Mazur, he is excellent throughout, playing a sympathetic character trying not to get too drawn into the world he's trying to overturn. John Leguizamo is also great, playing his hyper sidekick, and Diane Kruger is fantastic in a role that could have been just a throwaway, but thankfully wasn't. In fact, it's full of faces I recognised but couldn't put a name to (Daniel Mays turns up in one early scene, and Art Malik - who I did recognise - seems to have merged with Tim McInnerney in some mad kind of way.)

The soundtrack is also excellent - Cymande's 'Brothers On The Slide' turns up at one point, which was a nice surprise, though Curtis Mayfield's 'Pusherman' might have been a little on the nose. And how have I been unaware of The Who's 'Eminence Front' for so long?

In short - if you like movies with gangsters, drugs and guns, this is for you.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Serge on September 22, 2016, 08:42:18 PM
I couldn't see a thread on this, so hope this isn't a duplicate...

Just got back from seeing this. Pretty good in a this-will-not-change-your-life-in-any-way, er, way, unless you didn't know anything about America's drug wars, in which case maybe it will (though if you don't, may I point you towards a couple of Don Winslow books you might find interesting?) Although 'based on real events', it's a familiar story of a man going undercover to bust some bad guys and going through a lot of bad shit on the way. If you like this kind of thing - as I do - then you'll like this. And it helps that the man in this case is played by Bryan Cranston.

Yeah, we all know how good he is, but the chance to sit through two hours of Prime Cranston should never be turned down. Playing the conflicted Robert Mazur, he is excellent throughout, playing a sympathetic character trying not to get too drawn into the world he's trying to overturn. John Leguizamo is also great, playing his hyper sidekick, and Diane Kruger is fantastic in a role that could have been just a throwaway, but thankfully wasn't. In fact, it's full of faces I recognised but couldn't put a name to (Daniel Mays turns up in one early scene, and Art Malik - who I did recognise - seems to have merged with Tim McInnerney in some mad kind of way.)

The soundtrack is also excellent - Cymande's 'Brothers On The Slide' turns up at one point, which was a nice surprise, though Curtis Mayfield's 'Pusherman' might have been a little on the nose. And how have I been unaware of The Who's 'Eminence Front' for so long?

In short - if you like movies with gangsters, drugs and guns, this is for you.

I really want to see this as I love Cranston and feel it's a shame he's been under utilised since Breaking Bad, but I feel I've watched so much stuff featuring gangsters, drugs and guns recently (not helped by binging on the underwhelming Narcos Season 2) that I'm in no rush to see it. Which is a shame as you make it sound pretty decent. Still, will do once it leaks online, and thanks for the recommendation.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2016, 09:48:17 PM
I really want to see this as I love Cranston and feel it's a shame he's been under utilised since Breaking Bad

Nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year, mate.[nb]for an utterly shit film, admittedly[/nb]

Serge

Ah, 'Trumbo' wasn't that bad! Flawed, certainly, but pretty decent and Cranston was as great as ever.