Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,393
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Herschell Gordon Lewis:Godfather Of Gore R.I.P.

Started by Brundle-Fly, September 26, 2016, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip Bittman

Aw, that makes me so depressed. I've met him more than a few times over the past 20 or so years and he was always unspeakably charming, funny, erudite, encouraging, and pure HG Lewis. Those unfamiliar should definitely check out Frank Henenlotter's terrific documentary about him, which is a hoot and a half and delves into the full "body of work" and goes beyond the usual facile "huh huh, bad movies" thing.

Have you ever had.... an Egyptian feast? A world without Lewis and Friedman is much poorer for it.

Egyptian Feast

Very sad news. I'm a big fan of Blood Feast - it is a terrible film, yet there's just something very endearing about it. It has been imitated many times by the type of fools who make intentionally bad horror films, but it has a charm they could never replicate. It would be hard for even a good actress to imitate Connie Mason's astoundingly vacant performance.

Two Thousand Maniacs is probably his best film, but all the gore movies are a good laugh, though with The Gore Gore Girls he'd gone so far with it (it is an especially ludicrous film), he was right to chuck it in and concentrate on direct marketing.

I used to have Fuad Ramses as my avatar years ago. I must resurrect him.

Glebe

Watched The Wizard of Gore a little while ago... fucking mental.

Shit Good Nose

One for the "thought he died years ago" files.

I always thought Mardi Gras Massacre was one of his, but only discovered it wasn't when I re-watched it a couple of years ago.

...um...R.I.P.

Glebe

Just discovered (via Carcass' Facebook page) that this little snippet of dialogue on Carcass' Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious album is taken from an interview with Gordon Lewis (and a bit of Googling reveals that it's taken from the Jonathan Ross-fronted The Incredibly Strange Film Show, actually).