Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:24:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Copyrighting & suchforth...

Started by Des Nilsen, February 17, 2004, 01:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Nilsen

I've been meaning to ask this for a short while now, as I'd like to get some written music of mine copyrighted, though I have no aspirations towards trying to get it heard - it's for me and me only. I'd just like to have any written material *safe*.

I'm vaguely aware that a lot of copyrighting allows you the right to rearrange music, so I assume I can copyright works in progress.
Any info would be very helpful - is there a means of copyrighting that doesn't involve various artist's unions?

-

butnut

As soon as you create it in this country it's basically copyrighted. Just add © 2004 and your name for safety. You don't have to register it with any organisation at all.

Des Nilsen

Wow, that I didn't know!

Very helpful, Butnut.

-

falafel

Of course, there's the tricky issue of actually proving it s yours when someone goes and steals it... that's why it may be worth registering with a union or something. An old trick is to stick a CD of your stuff in a jiffy bag, post it to yourself, and hopefully the post-date stamp will be over the seal. Then you simply leave it sealed and wait for the fateful day. I don't know if that actually stands up in court, however.

Rats

I can understand wanting to copyright something if you're going to be making money from it but I don't get this. Just let people rip you off if they want to, it's no biggy. I'd think it would be pretty flattering.

Uncle_Z

The sending it to yourself method has some merits but for best results it has to go registered post so there is a dated sticky label across the seal

Of course if nobody ever hears it then the fact that it is a copyright work becomes irrelevant for "rip-off" purposes  The protected right It is literally the right to make copies.  If someone were to produce a strikingly similar work from independent effort then they would not be infringing.

(As an aside this could be part of the rationale for all that mad shit about knobs in the Windows code.   A few redundant lines with no effect whatsover are a pretty decent smoking gun).

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Rats"I can understand wanting to copyright something if you're going to be making money from it but I don't get this. Just let people rip you off if they want to, it's no biggy. I'd think it would be pretty flattering.

Fair point, but I really *wouldn't* find it flattering if somebody ripped me off, and though I feel awkward about assuming anyone would make money out of my work I don't even want the possibility of any of my music getting out there under someone elses name.
Weird really, because it would have to be marketable to be worth the bother, and it isn't. Not poppy at all.
So my slight paranoia lies in the fact that there are some scummy, thieving fuckers out there and I want my work safe and credited to me, especially as at some point I might consider setting up a web site to get feedback on material. If something gets onto the internet it's almost a lost cause if you haven't got any evidence of ownership.
It'd be like signing a painting.

-

hencole

Why don't you right your name in a bar or two of the music, like some old dead commposers used too? Might ruin the song, but the proof of it being yours would be for to hear.

Gazeuse

All of the above...

As soon as you write it, it's yours...You just have to prove that you wrote it before the person who you think has nicked it from you.

You can do this either by the registered post method, or by lodging a copy in your bank's safe (Although they will charge for this).

Having said that, I don't know anyone who has had stuff intentionally pinched or anyone that goes to the bother of registering stuff.