Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any particular reason why AdBlocker Plus doesn't work anymore?

Started by Rocket Surgery, October 06, 2016, 01:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Any time an ad sneaks through I just reinstall adblock and it seems to do the trick. Just as well because I can't install it in work and I looked at an episode of Maron WTF and it literally had 20 adverts studded along the timebar. That is mental. Who do they think is going to watch that amount of ads? Would anyone on Earth watch all those adverts?

Quote from: mook on October 10, 2016, 08:34:19 AM
is it possible to have uBlock & ABP installed at the same time?

Both Firefox and Chrome have the option to just disable extensions as well as remove them so yes.
You might have to refresh the page or even restart the browser after a switch though.

I had ABP and AdBlock both running on Chrome for a bit and while I didn't notice much if any improvement in blocking, nothing bad happened either.

I've noticed the browser used can also make a difference. For example, a site that tries to make you turn off blockers before you can proceed can be 100% effective on Firefox no matter which blocker you use and be 0% effective on Chrome no matter which blocker you use (or vice versa).

Zetetic

Quote from: olliebean on October 10, 2016, 08:26:20 AM
I've had to turn uBlock Origin off for YouTube, because not only was it not getting rid of the pre-roll video ads but it was making them unskippable. Don't know if ABP has the same problem.
Were you using the same block lists?

Zetetic

Quote from: Cortez the Surfer on October 10, 2016, 03:36:59 PM
I've noticed the browser used can also make a difference. For example, a site that tries to make you turn off blockers before you can proceed can be 100% effective on Firefox no matter which blocker you use and be 0% effective on Chrome no matter which blocker you use (or vice versa).
Hmm. There should be very little difference in functionality between Chrome and Firefox with uBlock Origin (although only under Firefox it does allow blocking of inline script tags - which AdBlock Plus does not implement). I suppose it's possible that the site is trying different approaches under each browser.

Examples would be very welcome, I'm sure, for the developers.

^ Link protector site adf.ly is one that comes to mind.

Currently on FF with uBlock it jumps to a white page with text telling you to whitelist the domain then refresh the page.
On Chrome with uBlock it doesn't seem to detect the blocker and just does it's little countdown thing sans ads.

Same thing happened with the previous blockers I was using.