Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

H R Pufnstuf

Started by Z/Sb, November 11, 2004, 01:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

I recently got Rhino's DVD set of H R Pufnstuf. Anyone else know this show?It's absolutely crazy! They surely don't make them like that anymore - reminds me a bit of Emu's Pink Windmill and Chorlton & The Wheelies. I'm sure I saw it when I was a kid but was possibly scared! Only now can I really enjoy it.

Watching this show, I've convinced myself that Jack Wild is actually a young Brett Anderson - I think the resemblance is there and so is the slight campiness! And the songs in the show are reminiscent of Suede's final works: Catchy with lots of rhyming but ultimately very shallow and childish...

thomasina

It was the first Jim Henson thing I ever saw., I think.

Z/Sb

Quote from: "thomasina"It was the first Jim Henson thing I ever saw., I think.

It was by Sid & Marty Krofft. (But I can see where you're coming from...)

PeachSmints

The talking flute actually scared me. It just looked a bit sinister to me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

There's a good Mr Show parody of this, even if it is all about LOL NO durgs.

I am weasel

QuoteWatching this show, I've convinced myself that Jack Wild is actually a young Brett Anderson - I think the resemblance is there

I think Brett looks more like Brian Wilde, who played Foggy in Last Of The Summer Wine

DuncanC

# Welcome to the Altered State of Druggachussettes! #

I never saw this originally, but from those screenshots I can already tell how close the Mr Show parody is.

Gazeuse

I have happy memories of watching this round my Grandma's house in Enfield (When it was all shrubs).

The film is great too and has an appearance by Mama Cass who sings the most fantastic song in it.

Ambient Sheep

On the rare occasions that I caught this show as a child, it scared the shit out of me.  Even seeing those pictures made me twitch a bit.

Z/Sb

I noticed that the voice of the flute is very similar to the Christmas Poo character in South Park. I guess that's intentional...

JesusAndYourBush

I've never seen it.  Wasn't it only shown in one tv region?

Pinball

Anyone remember Hartley the Hare? What was that programme called???

Edit: Pipkins

Gazeuse

Pipkins

Edit: Damn' and blast.

Pinball

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Pipkins
hehe ;-)

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Pinball"
hehe ;-)

bugger

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
Quote from: "Pinball"
hehe ;-)

bugger

Bugger?

What was that show about then?

It sounds absolutely frightful.

Z/Sb

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"What was that show about then? It sounds absolutely frightful.

It featured a scary rabbit called Hartley Hare. And a tortoise. And there was a bit every episode which would have a load of clocks ticking and then the bloke in the show would say "Time.......for a story."

I preferred Animal Kwackers, myself. Now that was really bloody scary. It was basically a kind of British Banana Splits but with very weird looking characters which you can check out here:
http://www.thechestnut.com/snippets-3.htm

Auntie Ovipositor

This was my favorite show as a child, and I'd seen all of the episodes at least 5 times - because that's how kids watch TV - except one. My sister had seen The Episode that I hadn't and would only tell me how great it was. Finally, one Sunday morning, The Episode came on and I was right there in the bean bag with the remote in my hand feeling about as fulfilled as you can at 5. Soon, I would have accomplished all of my goals in life and be ready to start my memoirs.

It was better that I'd even imagined it could be. Witchie-poo had turned good and was playing the magic flute; her terrifying goons were singing merrily along with the goodnik kid; everything was coming up flowers; everyone was getting along like dykes and dogs. For the first time ever they'd veered off of the plot-course set by any number of kid's tv precursors and were doing something wildly original and clearly against the rules - no conflict, no good/evil dualism, no punishing the bad people, no good-guys winning because they're so smart, just fabulous tunes and everyone getting along in some acid-blasted neverworld. And this just in the first 15 minutes!

Midway through the episode, my father came into the room and asked me and my sister to come into the livingroom for an "important talk". Having already been through all of his copies of Penthouse I figured there wasn't much left for him to explain and tried to get out of it. To no avail. Sis and I went into the livingroom with him, where we found Mom crying, and they explained to us what the word "divorce" ment and that it was about to happen to us. I never saw the end of the episode because I never watched the show again.

Thanks, Z/Sb, for bringing all of this back up.

imitationleather

thomasina

Quote from: "Z/Sb"
Quote from: "thomasina"It was the first Jim Henson thing I ever saw., I think.

It was by Sid & Marty Krofft. (But I can see where you're coming from...)

No Henson involvement at all?  There is something that made me think they were his puppets.