Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

War for the Planet of the Apes.

Started by Glebe, October 06, 2016, 07:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Teaser.

Enjoyed the first two and am very much looking forward to this.

Thomas

Kelvin

The second one is the best blockbuster since The Dark Knight, for my money. Can't wait for this.

Quote from: Kelvin on October 06, 2016, 08:11:57 PM
The second one is the best blockbuster since The Dark Knight, for my money. Can't wait for this.

The second film was top-notch. It really surprised me, I was expecting much less.

My only criticism would be that they included a 'guy who irrationally hates apes' character. He's the equivalent of the abusive, cartoonishly evil ape-keeper in the (inferior) first film. I'm sure this upcoming sequel will also have a militant anti-ape character, but hopefully he or she can be a bit more nuanced this time.

Bazooka

From my cold dead hands will I watch this poor man's Planet Of The Apes series.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on October 06, 2016, 10:46:06 PM
From my cold dead hands will I watch this poor man's Planet Of The Apes series.

I think you'd be surprised how good they are[nb]if you weren't just joking[/nb].

The first is an okay film, which picks up considerably towards the end, and the second is a genuinely great blockbuster, with a very good balance of character and social commentary. Of all the Planet of the Apes films made, it's amongst the best of the series.

Sam

The second film is actually brilliant.

Glebe

Quote from: Sam on October 07, 2016, 12:54:47 AMThe second film is actually brilliant.

I do prefer it to the first one, actually. Like how they develop the personalities of the apes. The mocap GCI is absolutely outstanding, too.

Kelvin

Noodle Lizard

Mo-cap aside, I think they're rubbish.  Literally the most clichéd shit this side of Michael Bay, afforded high praise because it's monkeys[nb]yes, I know they're apes[/nb] being clichéd rather than humans (though there are also humans being clichéd in it).  Typically ponderous and glum as well, as all action/adventure movies have to be now.

That said, the evil human and subsequent evil monkey archetypes are very funny, can't fault them there.

Sam

What a load of twaddle. Michael Bay? Yerhavinalaff.

Puce Moment

The only mainstream Hollywood franchise worth bothering with in my view, I especially enjoyed how the second film was completely different in terms of tone and human characters. It got a bit fighty towards the end, but good fun. If they manage to make a decent final film then it will stand as a really credible trilogy that shits all over the original films, which are shonky as fuck (although tons better than that Burton shit).

Bazooka

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 07, 2016, 10:18:22 AM
The only mainstream Hollywood franchise worth bothering with in my view, I especially enjoyed how the second film was completely different in terms of tone and human characters. It got a bit fighty towards the end, but good fun. If they manage to make a decent final film then it will stand as a really credible trilogy that shits all over the original films, which are shonky as fuck (although tons better than that Burton shit).

Is it April 1st? Shits all over the originals? Maybe if you like non-immersive CGI.

Quote from: Bazooka on October 07, 2016, 11:05:46 AM
Maybe if you like non-immersive CGI.

'Dawn' has immersive CGI. The mocap performances for Caesar and Koba are fully engaging.

However, I will grant you that the quality can be a little inconsistent. There are bits where it seems like some bean-counter came along and said, "We don't need need to spend quite as much money on this minor incidental stuff." The scene at the start when the apes are hunting, the CGI for the deer and the bear looks less polished - bad, even. But all of the character drama scenes with the apes are state of the art.

Kelvin

Yeah, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of the first films I ever watched where I regularly forgot I was watching a CGI character. On a performance level, I don't think any CGI character has ever been better than Ceaser, and I don't see how it's any more "non-immersive" than the rubbery ape masks in the originals. In fact, in the same way that the quality of story-telling helps you over-come the limitations of the masks, the quality of the characters helps you overcome any limitations with the CGI. Both are imperfect, but more than good enough when paired with good scripts, actors and stories. 

Puce Moment

Quote from: Bazooka on October 07, 2016, 11:05:46 AMIs it April 1st? Shits all over the originals? Maybe if you like non-immersive CGI.

Or perhaps you hate shitty, cliched, badly scripted and terribly acted film. The original films are cack mate.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Glebe on October 08, 2016, 01:42:52 AM
Planet of the Apes Could Continue After Caesar & Still Star Andy Serkis.

It'll have to won't it? I thought the plan was to eventually reach the point where they do their own version of Planet of the Apes, by which point Caeser would be long consigned to history.

Malcy

Really enjoyed the first two. Especially the 2nd. I'm not a fan of CGI films or in anything really but it was outstandimg at times. Looking forward to this.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Just imagine all of the crappy Harambe jokes when the marketing for this ramps up.

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 09, 2016, 11:37:20 AM
Just imagine all of the crappy Harambe jokes when the marketing for this ramps up.

Try reading the comments section under the teaser trailer they released.

Kelvin

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 09, 2016, 10:47:50 AM
It'll have to won't it? I thought the plan was to eventually reach the point where they do their own version of Planet of the Apes, by which point Caeser would be long consigned to history.

Yeah, that's what I want them to do. Show how the society develops, built on the back of a flawed hero they deified.

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 09, 2016, 03:30:36 AM
Or perhaps you hate shitty, cliched, badly scripted and terribly acted film. The original films are cack mate.

They aren't though? I can't speak for all the sequels, but the original at least is a sold-gold dystopian sci-fi classic. I avoided the Apes films for years because the premise sounded so silly, but it really transcends the pulpy subject matter and presents something genuinely thoughtful.

"Escape" is great as well, Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter are excellent in that.

momatt

I love all the Planet of the Apes films.  Yeah, even the Tim Burton one.  I really enjoyed the Pierre Boulle book too.  So I am looking forward to this as well.
Still waiting for that musical...  :(

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 07, 2016, 03:27:10 AM
Literally the most clichéd shit this side of Michael Bay, afforded high praise because it's monkeys
Comparing any Apes film to Michael Bay is just silly.  He is one of the worst (successful) film-makers alive (or dead probably I dunno).

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 09, 2016, 03:30:36 AM
DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: momatt on October 12, 2016, 04:34:30 PM
Comparing any Apes film to Michael Bay is just silly.  He is one of the worst (successful) film-makers alive (or dead probably I dunno).

I wasn't comparing them, really, but I'd argue that the better Michael Bay-directed films (Bad Boys, The Rock etc.) are more enjoyable than this load of ponderous rubbish.  I mean how do you make a film with monkeys[nb]apes yeah[/nb] riding horses with guns and that so glum and boring?  Christopher Nolan has a lot to answer for.  Like I said, replace the monkeys in Dawn with humans (i.e. some kind of oppressed group) and it'd be laughably bad.  Through some dark magic, the fact that it's monkeys somehow makes it less laughable, but still bad. 

There's no wonder, no intrigue[nb]say what you want, it's as formulaic and predictable as the worst of Michael Bay[/nb] and, most importantly, no fun.  The amount of praise that gets heaped upon it is one of the more baffling contemporary film phenomenons for me.

momatt

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 12, 2016, 11:51:47 PM
I wasn't comparing them, really, but I'd argue that the better Michael Bay-directed films (Bad Boys, The Rock etc.) are more enjoyable than this load of ponderous rubbish.  I mean how do you make a film with monkeys[nb]apes yeah[/nb] riding horses with guns and that so glum and boring?

Fair enough, I thought it was great.
I must re-watch these soon and see if your opinion rubs off on me at all.

I usually just associate Bay with the awful Transformers films (raped my childhood etc).

momatt

Though I am very excited about this, they seriously need to get cracking with that musical version.