Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

War for the Planet of the Apes.

Started by Glebe, October 06, 2016, 07:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread, and say that a ridiculous amount of spoilers are given away by the cast and director in the post-trailer batch of interviews. In particular, one thing they keep trying to be secretive about will actually be very obvious to anyone whose seen the original films.   

momatt

Thanks, I'll do my best to avoid any interviews.  Might not watch the trailer either.

Still, nothing can be as bad as the spoiler on the DVD covers.  The dozy twats.

Replies From View

I've never seen a Planet of the Apes film, but their titles remind me of Bobby Brewster books.

Glebe

New trailer.

Happy days.

I saw a Blu-ray boxset of all the Apes movies - including Rise and Dawn - going for €12 the other day.

Kelvin

How the hell do the Apes look so good in this? They're miles ahead of most CGI characters. Nearly photo realistic in some shots.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Kelvin on April 01, 2017, 12:39:50 AM
How the hell do the Apes look so good in this? They're miles ahead of most CGI characters. Nearly photo realistic in some shots.

The did do straight from the off 6-7 years ago - which begs the question why Disney couldn't get the Beast looking more life-like.

Kelvin

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 01, 2017, 02:51:09 AM
The did do straight from the off 6-7 years ago - which begs the question why Disney couldn't get the Beast looking more life-like.

I think Disney have a "this'll do" attitude across all of their media. They don't need it to excel, they just need it to be good enough to get a pass. The beast looked awful in the clips I saw (I haven't seen the full film), but it was probably good enough that most audiences wouldn't care. The CGI in Star Wars is still impressive, in fairness, but then maybe that's because the series has always pushed special effect technology, so they feel they have to maintain that trend.

Glebe

Final trailer.

Following on from the first two, I'm hoping this is going to be one of the better of this year's crop of blockbusters. Oh, and again, the CG actor animation looks outstanding.

Twit 2

Quote from: Glebe on May 17, 2017, 02:52:05 AM
Final trailer.

Following on from the first two, I'm hoping this is going to be one of the better of this year's crop of blockbusters. Oh, and again, the CG actor animation looks outstanding.

It's got a fucking Dobby in it.

Glebe

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 17, 2017, 03:03:44 PM
It's got a fucking Dobby in it.

Well that's it, he's officially known as 'Dobs' to me. I don't care what his name is in the film.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on June 16, 2017, 10:04:23 PM
'War For the Planet of the Apes' Early Buzz: Matt Reeves' Sequel is Apparently Spectacular.

That's encouraging.

It is especially considering I feel very little for this sequel and I can't get enough of apes.
War...  just feels like another version of the last one, rather than pushing the story forward.
If it doesn't catch on will we get the full POTA remake we've been waiting for?

Glebe

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 19, 2017, 02:29:05 PMIt is especially considering I feel very little for this sequel and I can't get enough of apes.
War...  just feels like another version of the last one, rather than pushing the story forward.
If it doesn't catch on will we get the full POTA remake we've been waiting for?

Agreed, it does look a little bit like 'more of the same', but then things had already kicked off in the last movie; I imagine this Apes trilogy will round things off with a fairly big face-off. I'm a sucker for trailers, so I can't help spoilering things for myself a bit... the trailers for this are fairly packed with action and drama, but hopefully it's just a taster of what's in store. And sure, you're usually best to add a pinch of salt to preview screening Twitter reactions, but there seems to be a genuine feeling there that it's top stuff.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on June 19, 2017, 03:03:54 PM
Agreed, it does look a little bit like 'more of the same', but then things had already kicked off in the last movie; I imagine this Apes trilogy will round things off with a fairly big face-off. I'm a sucker for trailers, so I can't help spoilering things for myself a bit... the trailers for this are fairly packed with action and drama, but hopefully it's just a taster of what's in store. And sure, you're usually best to add a pinch of salt to preview screening Twitter reactions, but there seems to be a genuine feeling there that it's top stuff.

I'm veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sceptical about early buzz from special screenings.
I don't think it's bribery, but I believe the mindset changes when given 'exclusives'

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kelvin on April 01, 2017, 02:58:49 AM
The CGI in Star Wars is still impressive, in fairness

Well, Leia...

The first two (of this current iteration) are brilliant, BUT my major concern with this one, at least from the trailers, is that the furrow-browed low-key nature of those first two will be totally lost by Harrelson's over-the-top character.  This is a series of films that does not need a crazy military mentalist.

phantom_power

The reviews are coming in and they are overwhelmingly very positive, calling it not only a great blockbuster, but a great film

Glebe

Yes, it's usually a good sign when a review embargo is lifted early, and it appears to getting very good-to-rave reviews almost across the board, with an implicit comparison of the whole caboodle to The Dark Knight trilogy from some quarters. Of course there have been a few dissenting voices, The Film Stage finding it a bit empty for one (not to harp on about TDK comparisons, which are perhaps a little silly, but I certainly found The Dark Knight Rises to be the least satisfying of Nolan's trilogy, for all it's flair), and while this /Film reviewer give it full marks, another member of their writing staff has some caveats.

Anyway, looking forward to the usual raging CaB debate when it comes out!

Just heard a radio ad saying this film "concludes the best trilogy since the Dark Knight films". Bit of a crap boast, only the second one of those is worthwhile.

Bazooka

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 07, 2017, 01:04:26 PM
Just heard a radio ad saying this film "concludes the best trilogy since the Dark Knight films". Bit of a crap boast, only the second one of those is worthwhile.

Cars 3 hasn't come out yet either.

colacentral

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 07, 2017, 01:04:26 PM

That being Batman Begins.

marquis_de_sad

Just got back from this and I thought overall it was slow, ponderous and dull. The CGI was very impressive though, really excellent. Harrelson was shit, his performance felt like a remix of every military mentalist ever, and it didn't help that the filmmakers put in a couple of Kurtz references.

It's getting very very favourable reviews though, so I'm willing to accept that I'm on my own with this one.

colacentral

What did you think of the previous two?

Custard

Loved the first two, and gonna rewatch both either tonight or tomorrow, as going to see this friiiiday

Fucking massive spoiler in the DESCRIPTION OF THE FILM in Empire magazine though, the cunts

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: colacentral on July 12, 2017, 12:41:40 AM
What did you think of the previous two?

Haven't seen them, which is another reason to take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

Mr Brightside

When will the awards people move with the times and introduce a BEST APE category?

Malcy

Cracking film. Loved it. The apes might as well be real. Not a huge fan of CGI but it's been fantastic in these films. May go see it again next week.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 12, 2017, 12:05:41 AM
Harrelson was shit, his performance felt like a remix of every military mentalist ever, and it didn't help that the filmmakers put in a couple of Kurtz references.

Saddens me to hear that.  It's been one of my biggest worries about the film since his casting and that character was first announced.  See my earlier post in the thread.

Paaaaul

I fucking loved it.
It's very grim for a blockbuster.
I was glad the trailer I saw last week was misleading. It's not the monkeys at war film I feared it would be. It's much more character-centric than that.

surreal

Just back, enjoyed it a lot - I think it completes one of the most even trilogies in years, in that they are all of very similar quality, whether that quality appeals to you or not.  I've been surprised and impressed by all 3 - the action is great but not over the top and stupidly bombastic, the message is there but not to beat you over the head with, and the effects work is beyond amazing.

Harrelson in this is just playing Kurtz, that is the only heavy-handed thing for me, everything else was praiseworthy from start to finish, and for fucks sake will someone give Serkis his Best Actor oscar now...?

kidsick5000

I really hope it's a hit.
We deserve a revamped Planet Of The Apes.
This one also sets up Beneath The Planet Of The Apes