Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:55:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphones that don't bastard break all the cunting time

Started by WesterlyWinds, October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesterlyWinds

Every time I buy headphones to use with my mp3 player they break within about 3 months, sometimes even less. What normally happens is one of the ear buds goes and I'm left with unsatisfyingly mono sound that misses half the songs

Now I've done some research and apparently this is due to not treating them particularly well/shitty wiring in the wire jack. Admittedly I've never bought an expensive pair, but the latest were like ten quid and broke in the space of a month.

Willing to spend a bit more if they don't fucking break. Suggestions? In ear only please, I'm not vain but people with over head earphones on the train look like right cunts.

Can't go wrong with the Soundmagic E10's http://www.whathifi.com/soundmagic/e10/review

I'm on my 2nd pair in about 5 years and I use them everyday. They may have been superseded by now, I don't know but they are a very good, budget headphone. I used to use Sennheiser CX300 but I found them a bit hissy.

Small Man Big Horse

I suffer from this problem as well, the headphones never leave the house but still end up dying sooner rather than later and it's rare they'll make it to the three month point. Will try the ones recommended above but I do tend to prefer headphones rather earphones.

About five years ago I bought a pair from poundland and they died after four hours. I should have known, but it's poor even by poundland's standards. Now it's become a game I occasionally play, every two or three months I'll get a pair and any that survive for three days make it in to the hall of fame. One pair ever made it to six days once, but that was a good few years ago and nothings got close since.

Glebe

I've a pair of Sennheisers that've stood me in good stead.

Penfold

My latest pair of £15 Sony earbuds died after four months. My previous pair were GENUINE Apple earbuds I got on Amazon Marketplace and they had the decency to last 18 months.

It's always the side with the remote control that breaks first.

My latest pair are £5[nb]half price[/nb] Sony ones from Tesco[nb]Accrington[/nb] as I was about to go on a train and I needed a pair. No remote this time so not sure which side will break first.

Uncle TechTip

Is it a result of how you store them? Thrown in your bag or stuffed in your pockets will put strain on the connections. A little pouch could help a lot. Pound land does a simple rubber thing that you wind the cable round, fold it over and done, packed up in a neat-ish ball. Doing this also abolishes knotted cable hell. Pair of in ear Shures I got came with a small rigid pouch and it kept them smart for years before the plug end broke.

Bhazor

I had terrible problems with headphones in uni as I would be wearing them basically all day constantly putting them in or pulling them out or catching them on door handles. Cheap, around the tenner bracket, ones from Argos would usually last me a week or two. Sennheiser CX 300 II were the best of the bunch. They used to average out at about 1 pair every 3 months for 30 quid.

Since I got my own car and speakers for my computer I've been using headphones a lot less often. But when I have had need to use them my Sony EX650[nb]http://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-ex650ap/review[/nb] have always worked perfectly. They had about three months of solid daily use before I got my speakers and have since spent their retirement tangled in a Gordian knot in the bottom drawer of my desk. They still work great and are certainly the sturdiest pair I've owned and the sound quality is still stellar.

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: Bhazor on October 10, 2016, 08:05:19 PM
Sennheiser CX 300 II were the best of the bunch. They used to average out at about 1 pair every 3 months for 30 quid.

Likewise. It's really not good enough. I've given up buying earphones. A money drain, and none below £50 that I've tried have lasted despite any attempts to care for them (they are always going to get tangled and tugged). I prefer them in some scenarios, but it's now headphones for home listening and long distance travels, and no phones for light travelling.

My advice is to spend more (well, the same, averaged over time) on some good headphones that will last you for years.

QRDL

Any pair of headphones with a detachable cable. I've got AKGs Y40, but the pads are very shitty, so I wouldn't recommend them (a plastic moving disc inside the pad rips through the leather after a few months). Look among other brands.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM
Every time I buy headphones to use with my mp3 player they break within about 3 months, sometimes even less. What normally happens is one of the ear buds goes and I'm left with unsatisfyingly mono sound that misses half the songs

Now I've done some research and apparently this is due to not treating them particularly well/shitty wiring in the wire jack. Admittedly I've never bought an expensive pair, but the latest were like ten quid and broke in the space of a month.

Willing to spend a bit more if they don't fucking break. Suggestions? In ear only please, I'm not vain but people with over head earphones on the train look like right cunts.

I, my fiancée and my brother all have AKG K451s, which now seem to be priced at around £40-45. They're over-ear headphones but don't make you look like a total twat, in my opinion at least. Two of us have had to replace the detachable cable but it was cheap and easy to, and the audio quality is extremely good.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Pit-Pat on October 11, 2016, 07:19:11 AM
I, my fiancée and my brother all have AKG K451s, which now seem to be priced at around £40-45. They're over-ear headphones but don't make you look like a total twat, in my opinion at least. Two of us have had to replace the detachable cable but it was cheap and easy to, and the audio quality is extremely good.

I had some of them but hated them. They let in SO MUCH NOISE from the outside. When using them in a quiet environment they are excellent quality, but on my commute I found them unusable. They broke relatively quickly, thankfully.

For the last couple of years I've had a pair of Audio-Technica Active noise cancelling in-ear headphones. Good sound quality, in-ear so don't look daft, noise cancelling for the commute, and the little box that holds the noise cancelling widget is handy for winding the cords around so that they don't get tangled.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on October 11, 2016, 08:02:38 AM
I had some of them but hated them. They let in SO MUCH NOISE from the outside. When using them in a quiet environment they are excellent quality, but on my commute I found them unusable. They broke relatively quickly, thankfully.

For the last couple of years I've had a pair of Audio-Technica Active noise cancelling in-ear headphones. Good sound quality, in-ear so don't look daft, noise cancelling for the commute, and the little box that holds the noise cancelling widget is handy for winding the cords around so that they don't get tangled.

Well despite 8TT's crazed ramblings, I like my AKG K451s. They aren't noise-cancelling, but neither have any of the three pairs owned by family network broken.

phes

Another vote for the soundmagic buds. Outlasted every single pair of Seinheiser buds i owned about 3 x over

Kane Jones

Quote from: phes on October 11, 2016, 09:12:09 AM
Another vote for the soundmagic buds. Outlasted every single pair of Seinheiser buds i owned about 3 x over

And another vote here. I've had mine over two years and they still (chuckle) sound magic.

WesterlyWinds

Thanks lad(ie)s, I've ordered some sound magic ones and a lame little case to ensure that my earphone wires remain fupping pristine. If they break quicker than two years I will piss through each and every one of your letterboxes, though, even those who recommended other pairs.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on October 11, 2016, 10:26:49 AM
Thanks lad(ie)s, I've ordered some sound magic ones and a lame little case to ensure that my earphone wires remain fupping pristine. If they break quicker than two years I will piss through each and every one of your letterboxes, though, even those who recommended other pairs.

So you made Mummy Daddy 2 and Daddy fight for no reason?

Edited after a barrage of PM's from 8TT

WesterlyWinds

Is it any wonder I am such a little shit with such poor father figures?

Obel

Quote from: Special K on October 10, 2016, 07:37:39 PM
Can't go wrong with the Soundmagic E10's http://www.whathifi.com/soundmagic/e10/review

I'm on my 2nd pair in about 5 years and I use them everyday. They may have been superseded by now, I don't know but they are a very good, budget headphone. I used to use Sennheiser CX300 but I found them a bit hissy.

The only correct answer right here. I've had this pair for years and they're still going, far far FAR outlasted any other headphones I've ever owned. They sound great for their price range. I love Sennheiser but they just don't last as long as they should.

Shit Good Nose

Late to the party, but yes - the E10s are one of only two "budget" 'phones I would consider (the other being anything made by RHA Audio).  Sennheiser 'phones are a pale shadow of their former selves - QC is abysmal, and they just don't last like they used to.  Some think that they've also completely re-tuned their long-standing mainstream CX models, although I can't vouch for that.  Their high-end cans are still great, though.

Sadly, earphones is one of those things where you generally do get what you pay for.  Exceptions at either end of the scale, of course, but they are rare.  Otherwise the maxim "pay more for better" really does apply, both in terms of sound and build quality.

momatt

Quote from: phes on October 11, 2016, 09:12:09 AM

Yup.  On my second pair in about 4 years.  Wear them constantly on a pretty long commute.  Comfortable, reasonable sound isolation and sounds warm and nice.
Love them.

My last pair came in a cool little zippy case too, so you won't need to buy one (too late I know).

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PMthe latest were like ten quid and broke in the space of a month.

What's the mystery?

Get these:  https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion
They have a near indestructible wire, as well as a cool case.  And they sound ace, mate.

greencalx

One thing to check for is fluff in the headphone socket which can break the connection to one of the earpieces. Particularly if it's a device you keep in your pocket.

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on October 11, 2016, 10:49:19 PM
One thing to check for is fluff in the headphone socket which can break the connection to one of the earpieces. Particularly if it's a device you keep in your pocket belly button.

BRen

Another vote for the SoundMagic E10, I was having the same problem going through earphones at a silly rate, bought the SoundMagic ones in 2014 and they are still going strong at the moment.

Roy*Mallard

Twed

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 11, 2016, 04:05:34 PM
What's the mystery?

Get these:  https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion
They have a near indestructible wire, as well as a cool case.  And they sound ace, mate.
I just bought these. On your recommendation. I hope you can feel the pressure that's on you right now.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twed on October 12, 2016, 03:24:57 AM
I just bought these. On your recommendation. I hope you can feel the pressure that's on you right now.

They're really good.  Not noise-cancelling, really, but the sound quality's about the best I've had from in-ears, including ones more than double the price.

thugler

Detachable cables are a must. Almost always the part that dies.