Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphones that don't bastard break all the cunting time

Started by WesterlyWinds, October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thugler on October 12, 2016, 12:08:33 PM
Detachable cables are a must. Almost always the part that dies.

Indeed.

Also gives you the option to upgrade the cable.

QRDL

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 12, 2016, 12:31:29 PM
Indeed.

Also gives you the option to upgrade the cable.

Most of all, in my experience, it prolongs the cable's life, as you don't tug on it all the time. I ripped the cable out of my previous over-ear Sennheisers while standig up quickly with the cable around my knee. Now I just plug it back in.
It doesn't matter so much with in-ear plugs obviously.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 10, 2016, 08:01:12 PM
Is it a result of how you store them? Thrown in your bag or stuffed in your pockets will put strain on the connections. A little pouch could help a lot. Pound land does a simple rubber thing that you wind the cable round, fold it over and done, packed up in a neat-ish ball. Doing this also abolishes knotted cable hell. Pair of in ear Shures I got came with a small rigid pouch and it kept them smart for years before the plug end broke.

Yeah, I would say I've found doing stuff like that helps... maybe I just needed to be more careful to begin with!

anant

Has anyone tried bone conduction headphones? I've heard [nb]not very well[/nb] they're better for people with hearing loss (my left ear is pretty bad, otosclerosis). Thinking of getting a pair.

WesterlyWinds

Spookily Facebook now has adds about headphones aimed at me...

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 11, 2016, 04:05:34 PM
What's the mystery?

Get these:  https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion
They have a near indestructible wire, as well as a cool case.  And they sound ace, mate.

I might try these when my current pair go to shit, although they show no sign of doing so.

Great sound quality and tiny buds, that's right, I'm talking about you AKG Y23 - just £19.95.

wasp_f15ting

As with everything save and buy something that isn't disposable.

I got a pair of Sennheiser Ie8s for half price at an air port. Perfect beasts and have 2 year warranty as well as changeable wires on them.

LanceUppercut

I gave up on in ear headphones as they broke all the time and got blocked with earwax constantly.

So I now own a few pair over ear headphones and their fucking great and yes I do look a complete cunt.

Cloud

Haven't got any yet (haven't got around to it) but heard a lot of good things about Xiaomi Hybrid earphones when I was researching them a few months ago.  They're about 20 quid on Amazon, or cheaper off places like Gearbest

WesterlyWinds

Well day two of the Sound Magic ones and they are still going strong. Don't worry, I will update you guys regularly

After breaking pair every 6 months (always the cable jack wiring) I've gone and got myself a pair of bluetooth phones after doing a bit of research.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-QCY-Qy8-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-sport-headset-handsfress-earphone-/221948645459?hash=item33ad2b9053:g:RY8AAOSwhcJWOuOf

Not only are these about half the price of most sets, they're excellent quality soundwise too.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM
Every time I buy headphones to use with my mp3 player they break within about 3 months, sometimes even less. What normally happens is one of the ear buds goes and I'm left with unsatisfyingly mono sound that misses half the songs

Now I've done some research and apparently this is due to not treating them particularly well/shitty wiring in the wire jack. Admittedly I've never bought an expensive pair, but the latest were like ten quid and broke in the space of a month.

Willing to spend a bit more if they don't fucking break. Suggestions? In ear only please, I'm not vain but people with over head earphones on the train look like right cunts.

I have a spare pair of V-Sonic GR-07s with their original tips if you want it for free

Head-fi love them, but I dont use them anymore.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/vsonic-gr07/reviews/12735

Just PM me your address and I'll post it on the weekend.

Wasp.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 11, 2016, 04:05:34 PM
What's the mystery?

Get these:  https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion
They have a near indestructible wire, as well as a cool case.  And they sound ace, mate.

Also just bought these, mostly due to the fact they look fucking ace.

My headphones break all the time, I just accept that I'll have to buy a new pair every month, it's like a tax. LET'S #BREAKTHECYCLE

Beagle 2

They arrived, and they sound bloody brilliant. Plus cool case. Thanks Noodle Lizard. Thnoodlelizard.

Noodle Lizard

The case is really super cool.  Best part of it, I reckon.

BeardFaceMan

I have a bit of an extra problem, in that I can't fucking stand these noise-cancelling in-ear headphones. They're uncomfortable and it makes my ears feel like they're blocked or full of water or something and i want to yawn all the time. Yeah, I know. And I don't really want my ears plugged while I'm walking the streets, I'd rather hear that oncoming vehicle so I at least have time to shit myself before I die.
Anyway, can anyone recommend a good set of in ear headphones that are not of the noise-cancelling variety that last more than a month before the cord breaks? I'm not even sure the type of headphones I'm after are really made anymore, they all seem to be noise-cancelling.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 17, 2016, 06:02:18 AM
I have a bit of an extra problem, in that I can't fucking stand these noise-cancelling in-ear headphones. They're uncomfortable and it makes my ears feel like they're blocked or full of water or something and i want to yawn all the time. Yeah, I know. And I don't really want my ears plugged while I'm walking the streets, I'd rather hear that oncoming vehicle so I at least have time to shit myself before I die.
Anyway, can anyone recommend a good set of in ear headphones that are not of the noise-cancelling variety that last more than a month before the cord breaks? I'm not even sure the type of headphones I'm after are really made anymore, they all seem to be noise-cancelling.

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion

BeardFaceMan

They're noise-cancelling though, they have those little rubber things that you put on them to fill up your earhole and if you dont use the rubber things they wont stay in your ears. I'm after something more like this

only good.

niat

I see that these have been reduced from £65 to £35:

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/collections/original-series/products/trinity-techne

Has anyone got these and are they worth getting instead of the ones everyone's raving about on this thread?

Shay Chaise

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 17, 2016, 11:58:58 AM
They're noise-cancelling though, they have those little rubber things that you put on them to fill up your earhole and if you dont use the rubber things they wont stay in your ears. I'm after something more like this

only good.

They're noise-isolating rather than noise-cancelling, which is a particular type of technology, but I understand your point. Basically, there's no demand for 'open back' earbuds these days, because the isolation is seen as vital to both fit and sound quality - with a degree of truth to it. If you want to avoid the underwater type effect of isolating earbuds, you need to get some over the ear headphones. If you're not wearing them in public, or on public transport at least, you can get open-backed headphones which give you quite a wide and airy soundstage, and sacrifice a bit of bass for clarity. They also let in outside sounds. Otherwise, no, I've not seen what you're looking for in a long time.

momatt

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 17, 2016, 06:02:18 AM
Anyway, can anyone recommend a good set of in ear headphones that are not of the noise-cancelling variety that last more than a month before the cord breaks
I would highly recommend the Xiaomi Piston 3 for this.  They sound bloody great, but don't block much of the external sounds.  I actually found this bloody annoying when on the move, but for you it should be a good thing.
I got them very cheap too.
Only downside was a bit of cable noise (microphonics).

BeardFaceMan

Thanks for the recommendations. They don't even need to sound amazing as I mostly listen to podcasts when I'm out and about now rather than music, I'd just like a pair of headphones that last longer than a month and don't make me feel like I've got swimmers ear. But it's as I feared, the kind I'm after are rare as fuck nowadays (christ I sound old), da kids want dere Beats, iniit? (there, that's better)

Twed

Okay, these things are fucking wonderful, I should be paying you a finder's fee NL. Thanks!

imitationleather

And I've just bought a pair after all the hype they've been getting in this thread.

Currently using over-ear AKG ones which are pretty decent but I prefer in-ear, I just changed over because of the common cable issues. I prefer the discreteness of in-ear, I always feel like a bit of a wanker when I'm wearing over-ear ones around when my neck when not listening to them. Like I'm going "Hark at me, I listen to music, unlike you. I probably skateboard as well, I just left my board at home today. You don't listen to music or skateboard at all, though. Ha! You square." I don't want people to think I am a guy who acts like that so I'm giving these in-ears a go yes.

Twed

Did anybody else get a separate little bag of these SpinFit tips as well as the tips that came in the box? Seems like they're worth around $10 per pair.

Noodle Lizard

Glad everyone's liking the Hyperions!  Though no, I didn't get the extra tips.  Don't know what kind of blowjob you had to do for those.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: niat on October 17, 2016, 12:22:30 PM
I see that these have been reduced from £65 to £35:

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/collections/original-series/products/trinity-techne

Has anyone got these and are they worth getting instead of the ones everyone's raving about on this thread?

My audiophile friend (who introduced me to Trinity) has them and says he prefers the Hyperions.  Probably just down to preference.

Twed

I'm actually going to have to send them back, as the wire near the headphone jack doesn't work unless it's at the correct angle. Definitely a case of replacement and not refund with these though, they sound so good.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twed on October 18, 2016, 02:32:50 AM
I'm actually going to have to send them back, as the wire near the headphone jack doesn't work unless it's at the correct angle. Definitely a case of replacement and not refund with these though, they sound so good.

Total disaster.  Forget I recommended them!

Nah seriously, the main man running it is the best.  When I first ordered mine, I accidentally wrote my address wrong.  Got in touch with him, they'd already left the facility but he went down to the post office (I assume), got them to find it and change the address.  You'll have no problem.