Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphones that don't bastard break all the cunting time

Started by WesterlyWinds, October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Yeah, it seems like a great company, I've got no worries about this RMA.

niat

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 18, 2016, 01:58:48 AM
My audiophile friend (who introduced me to Trinity) has them and says he prefers the Hyperions.  Probably just down to preference.

Cheers. I ordered some yesterday and they're coming today. £35 seemed too good to miss. The shape is different to the Hyperions, and you get 3 different sound filters.

I'll report on my initial impressions later!I'll report on my initial impressions later!

Twed

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 18, 2016, 02:59:24 AM
Total disaster.  Forget I recommended them!

Nah seriously, the main man running it is the best.  When I first ordered mine, I accidentally wrote my address wrong.  Got in touch with him, they'd already left the facility but he went down to the post office (I assume), got them to find it and change the address.  You'll have no problem.
A guy called Jack (headphone Jack, wonderful) is being ridiculously accommodating. "What do I need to do?" I ask. I'm told that the package is on the way. I meant about returning the faulty item! I doubt they would ever have asked.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twed on October 18, 2016, 12:55:24 PM
A guy called Jack (headphone Jack, wonderful) is being ridiculously accommodating. "What do I need to do?" I ask. I'm told that the package is on the way. I meant about returning the faulty item! I doubt they would ever have asked.

Ah, I had Bob.  Headphone Bob.

imitationleather

I ordered the limited edition gunmetal Hyperions. It says they're shipping them from mid-October. I class now as mid-October. Has anyone else gone for this option and received them or is it still going to be a little while before they ship? Eager to get my hands on them.

The only other Kickstarter thing I have ever ordered was a USB hub for the new MacBook. After several months they still weren't sending it out and I asked for a refund which I was surprised to receive. Continued to get project updates about the endless delays though, and the latest news is they've run out of money and are looking for someone to buy them out and run the project instead. Can see companies queuing up to do that... Feel so fortunate to have got my cash back when I did, and also how fucking hard can making a USB hub be?! I'm extremely wary of Kickstarter as a result now.

Twed

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 18, 2016, 02:31:32 PM
Ah, I had Bob.  Headphone Bob.
Just noticed he's actually called Jake.  My mind just really wanted it. 

They did end up telling me to keep the faulty pair.  I'll probably give them to somebody who could cope with or be bothered to fix the loose wire. 

I've had Sony MDR-7506's for over 2 years and still use them daily. Under £100, amazing sound and still used by some radio stations I've seen like Sway in the morning and Hot 97

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2016, 03:24:59 PM
The only other Kickstarter thing I have ever ordered was a USB hub for the new MacBook. After several months they still weren't sending it out and I asked for a refund which I was surprised to receive. Continued to get project updates about the endless delays though, and the latest news is they've run out of money and are looking for someone to buy them out and run the project instead. Can see companies queuing up to do that... Feel so fortunate to have got my cash back when I did, and also how fucking hard can making a USB hub be?! I'm extremely wary of Kickstarter as a result now.

Yeah there's a whole lot of dodgy shit going on on Kickstarter, it'd take a lot of convincing for me to contribute to something like that when I'd rather just wait for the "thing" to become established and ready to go.  Trinity have been up and about for a while now, and I got to try out my friend's pair, so I knew what I was getting.

Don't know when they'll be shipping the gunmetal ones, mind, I got my regular ones probably a year ago.

momatt

Yeah, fuck Kickstarter.
The people taking your money have no obligation to actually give you your stuff.  It's bullshit.
It's a shame, because in principle crowdfunding is a great idea and has produced some cool things.  They really need to protect the investors more.

Neomod

I'm looking for a pair of over ear monitoring headphones for under £50. I bought some Senheiser HD202's but they are far too bass heavy and I need something with a transparent sound.

Are Audio-Technica ATH-M20x's any good?

imitationleather

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 18, 2016, 05:56:38 PM
Yeah there's a whole lot of dodgy shit going on on Kickstarter, it'd take a lot of convincing for me to contribute to something like that when I'd rather just wait for the "thing" to become established and ready to go.  Trinity have been up and about for a while now, and I got to try out my friend's pair, so I knew what I was getting.

The last bit of technology I bought was a WorldPenScan X, which is basically a pen-shaped device that will scan words in a book and then via bluetooth make them appear in Word or in an app on your phone. It's proving amazingly useful for work and is the kind of product you wish existed and then are amazed to find out it actually does. There's also some translation function but I don't need it for that.

Anyway, that also originated on Kickstarter but I don't think I would have ever funded it on there because it sounds like exactly the sort of thing that would never end up actually being built and just be remembered on Kickstarter Fails lists at the end of the year.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Neomod on October 19, 2016, 12:22:20 PM
Are Audio-Technica ATH-M20x's any good?

I've got these and think they're ace.  I'd imagine they're over 50 quid though unless you get them used.

EDIT: Sorry, I have the M50x.

Neomod

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 19, 2016, 03:32:46 PM

I've got these and think they're ace.  I'd imagine they're over 50 quid though unless you get them used.

EDIT: Sorry, I have the M50x.

Oh that's 30x's more than I want. Thanks for your help though.

mrpupkin

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD215s. Currently at £59.99 on bax-shop.co.uk, slightly over your budget but they're good quality and definitely transparent sounding to my ears. Really comfy too for long sessions. Understandable if you don't want to go with Sennheiser again though.

anant

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 11, 2016, 04:05:34 PM
What's the mystery?

Get these:  https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-hyperion
They have a near indestructible wire, as well as a cool case.  And they sound ace, mate.
Great recommendation there, thanks. I was going to get those but ended up ordering these pricier ones instead.
https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-delta
Can't really afford them but couldn't resist. Just got a high res player so they should sound fantastic. Not shipping till December though apparently.

QRDL

For the record, I've also bought the Hyperions and received the additional tips. Very happy with the quality, but unfortunately I cannot use them for the intented purpose - falling asleep to podcasts while not alone in bed. My own snoring started to wake me up, because now it hits the eardrum only from one side through the Eustachian tube. I admit I didn't expect that.

Twed

Yeah, I have problems like that. In-ears are never perfect for me.

imitationleather

Now I've finally got around to replacing the ear-buds on the Hyperions with ones that properly fit in my (apparently very small, going by the size I've wound up using) ear-holes I can see what the fuss is about. Pretty incredible.

They're down to £30 at the mo as well.

Twed

I ended up using the foam buds they put in my box. Much better than any of the others.

imitationleather

Don't they have a one year warranty?

I remember the earphones I had before the AKG ones I was using prior to these Hyperions had something stupid like a three year warranty and by the end I was almost feeling guilty asking for a new pair every few months when the replacements inevitably broke. Seems to be the nature of the beast with in-ears. They always sent some out no questions asked, though.

BeardFaceMan

So now that I've purchased a new pair of headphones is there anything I can do to stop the bastard cunting breaking? I've heard people say to use electrical tape to secure to bits of matchstick down by the jack where the bad connection usually is, this will keep it stiff and keep the wires in better condition so they're not twisting and breaking. Any truth to this?

thugler

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 30, 2016, 06:54:32 AM
So now that I've purchased a new pair of headphones is there anything I can do to stop the bastard cunting breaking? I've heard people say to use electrical tape to secure to bits of matchstick down by the jack where the bad connection usually is, this will keep it stiff and keep the wires in better condition so they're not twisting and breaking. Any truth to this?

REMOVEABLE CABLES.

Anything else is throwing your money away I've not had a pair break since as its almost always the cable, which WILL break eventually.

Blue Jam

The problem with a lot of earphone cables is that they come wrapped in some kind of material which seems to have a great affinity for itself and makes the cable cling together and get tangled up with the greatest of ease.

I got these for my birthday:

Betron B650 Noise Isolating Earphones

I got the gold ones but they are available in silver and gunmetal if you want to be a bit less bling-blingin'. The cable on these has some kind of low-friction coating which stops it getting tangles and stops things pulling on the cable and loosening any of the vital connections. I've only had these a few months but they still look and sound like new and they feel pretty sturdy- they also come with a little pouch thing and a selection of tips, which is good if you've got tiny ears like me. They're very bassy though- personally I like that but from earlier posts in this thread I suspect many people here may not like so much bass. They're also much better for electronic music and hip hop than they are for podcasts, audiobooks, classical music etc.

I saw some in HMV which had a flat cable- I can't remember the brand now, they were available in loads of colours and seemed like an affordable option if you're after a non-tangling cable. They weren't Beats, but I understand they also do an in-ear model with a flat cable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not sure what people are doing to make them wear out so quick. I've had about four pairs in 8 years and use them 6 days out of seven. Three of the four have been free as well, just headphones that came with other stuff.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 26, 2016, 09:22:01 AM
Not sure what people are doing to make them wear out so quick. I've had about four pairs in 8 years and use them 6 days out of seven. Three of the four have been free as well, just headphones that came with other stuff.

That's a lot of numbers to take in.

I sleep wearing my headphones which may contribute to early wear.

Dex Sawash

I sucked the cables out of my cans with the vacuum the other day.
Then I bastard broke my headphones wires.

wasp_f15ting

I need a good tube / valve amplifier..

The Valhalla 2 is just not breathing enough into my HD800s.
Is there a good local EU / UK valve amp sub £1500 mark?

imitationleather

Has everyone who bought Trinity earphones received that discount code to get the forthcoming new Master model for £60 down from £159? Are these any good? That seems a suspiciously huge discount. Can't deny I am tempted, though.