Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphones that don't bastard break all the cunting time

Started by WesterlyWinds, October 10, 2016, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Can anyone who has bought these Trinity things let me know what they're like in terms of sound isolation?

My current noise cancelling earphones (which I recommended upthread...) are breaking. They worked well for a decent amount of time, but it'd be more exciting to get something different than just buy them again.

I mainly use my earphones on a noisy train and also have some long flights coming up, so noise isolation and/or cancelling is a priority. I have been furtively glancing at the Bose noise cancelling earbuds but they are sooooo expensive.

imitationleather

Quite good. Not total isolation but I don't want that because I'd be worried about crossing the road if I couldn't hear cars. The big test is using them on a plane and I'm yet to do that.

I just bought these: https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-phantom-sabre-push-pull-twin-drive-in-ear-monitor

Reduced from £125 to £45 with a promo code. Couldn't resist. If they're pony I'll send them back and if they're not I'll keep them and give my Hyperions to my girlfriend as a lovely romantic Valentines gift. Boyfriend of the year or what?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: imitationleather on January 26, 2017, 08:47:08 PM
Quite good. Not total isolation but I don't want that because I'd be worried about crossing the road if I couldn't hear cars. The big test is using them on a plane and I'm yet to do that.

I just bought these: https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-phantom-sabre-push-pull-twin-drive-in-ear-monitor

Reduced from £125 to £45 with a promo code. Couldn't resist. If they're pony I'll send them back and if they're not I'll keep them and give my Hyperions to my girlfriend as a lovely romantic Valentines gift. Boyfriend of the year or what?

Let me know how these are! (and what the promo code is)

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on January 26, 2017, 03:54:39 PM
Can anyone who has bought these Trinity things let me know what they're like in terms of sound isolation?

My current noise cancelling earphones (which I recommended upthread...) are breaking. They worked well for a decent amount of time, but it'd be more exciting to get something different than just buy them again.

I mainly use my earphones on a noisy train and also have some long flights coming up, so noise isolation and/or cancelling is a priority. I have been furtively glancing at the Bose noise cancelling earbuds but they are sooooo expensive.

They're not really designed for sound isolation.  I reckon go for over-ear headphones for that sort of thing, every noise cancelling earbud I've tried has been too expensive for what it actually manages to achieve.  Then again, I've got those earholes where nothing seems to fit properly.

imitationleather

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 27, 2017, 04:25:30 AM
Let me know how these are! (and what the promo code is)

Code is SABREFINALSALE. Apparently they've got low stock BUT THEY WOULD SAY THAT WOULDN'T THEY?

EDIT: Oh shit they are sold out. Sorry dude. It appears they weren't bullshitting.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: imitationleather on January 27, 2017, 02:37:05 PM
Code is SABREFINALSALE. Apparently they've got low stock BUT THEY WOULD SAY THAT WOULDN'T THEY?

EDIT: Oh shit they are sold out. Sorry dude. It appears they weren't bullshitting.

Fuck you now you give me yours

chocky909

Just bought my most expensive headphones so far. A second hand pair of Grado PS1000 - £600ish. They sounds great but I'm struggling with the comfort as my ears are getting squashed. I'll probably end up selling them on in a few months possibly changing to some Sennheiser HD800 or even HD800S.

studpuppet

Quote from: chocky909 on March 10, 2017, 12:48:01 AM
They sounds great but I'm struggling with the comfort as my ears are getting squashed.

Can't tell if yours already have these fitted, but I found these type of pads helped on my cheaper (SR80) Grados: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-Cushion-Pads-for-GRADO-Refrence-GS1000i-PS500-RS1-PS1000-MS-Pro-headphones-/112317541319

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: chocky909 on March 10, 2017, 12:48:01 AM
Just bought my most expensive headphones so far. A second hand pair of Grado PS1000 - £600ish. They sounds great but I'm struggling with the comfort as my ears are getting squashed. I'll probably end up selling them on in a few months possibly changing to some Sennheiser HD800 or even HD800S.

I have the HD800 so comfy..
I run it off a Valhalla 2 to soften the harshness

What are you going to use for the PS1000s?

wasp_f15ting

So I finally lost my trusty Ie8.

I had a nasty cunting cold, and it was warm.. so my head was all messed up, dropped it when I about to get on the bus.

So I've ended up with the AKG N40s sounds okay thus far.. doesn't have the low end extension like the Ie8. Will test it over this long weekend.

Sebastian Cobb

So I finally lost a channel on my soundmagics this morning. According to gmail I've had them 2 years, which is much better than any other set I've had; they went near the jack as well so it's probably due to me fecklessly using the wire to fish my phone out my pocket. I considered just soldering a new jack on, but due to my habits above I know it wouldn't last.

Had a look on amazon and saw they were still about £30, but for about £70 I could get a bluetooth pair with 12 hours battery life. I always snake the wire down inside my shirt so it's a bit of a faff. Decided to go for it. Time will tell if that's a wise decision.

After my cat chewed the wire on my QCY cheapo bluetooth set for the second time I've decided to go true wireless and got a seat of these for  50 quid

The sound quality is pretty decent and listening to music gives you 5 hours each charge. No more fucked up wires for me ever.

The Masked Unit

Bought a pair of Jaybird X3 bluetooths for £120, which is more than I'd ordinarily spend, but I otherwise spend about 30 quid a pop for wired ones than bastard break every 4-6 cunting months so though it worth a shot. Would have gone for some properly wireless ones like the poster above there but thought they all looked a bit ridiculous.

WesterlyWinds

He's calling you a cunt, mate, are you going to stand for that?

PAGATRON

Can anyone recommend me some over the ear cans for under £100?

EDIT: Also none of that wireless business either

WesterlyWinds

The ones I bought after this very thread are still going strong. So them. Sound magic E10s or something like that

Dr Rock

I bought a (second, first one broke and was a bit crap) waterproof mp3 player recently, and the earphones are connected so you couldn't replace them if they break, as headphones often do. So I'm taking them everywhere I go in their foam tray, in the box, and hope this will lengthen their life. If they break just because I'm using them as intended I'll get a refund through Paypal. Tip - buy stuff through PayPal, they are very good at refunding you if anything breaks, better than an eBay guarantee and if the seller says you have to send them back you can say fuck that and PayPal will probably refund you no problem.

PAGATRON

Any ideas folks, My old Sony's are falling apart so I'm after some big bollocking badass cans.

Shay Chaise

These or any version of these are always recommended around your price range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

Have a look at the various revisions and pick up an older set for less than a ton. They're often on sale. Pound for pound, really good stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2017, 12:11:36 PM
So I finally lost a channel on my soundmagics this morning. According to gmail I've had them 2 years, which is much better than any other set I've had; they went near the jack as well so it's probably due to me fecklessly using the wire to fish my phone out my pocket. I considered just soldering a new jack on, but due to my habits above I know it wouldn't last.

Had a look on amazon and saw they were still about £30, but for about £70 I could get a bluetooth pair with 12 hours battery life. I always snake the wire down inside my shirt so it's a bit of a faff. Decided to go for it. Time will tell if that's a wise decision.

Yeah, so these are great. Only minor criticism is that they seem to self-discharge on standby quite quickly.

momatt

Of course, they all self-discharge on standby by the time I've finished with them.

wasp_f15ting

I need to get some self control over my spending habits on headphones :(

In addition to my HD800 I've added a HD650 for casual listening and some AKG NS40's

I moved from the HD600 to the HD800 and found them way too aggressive at times.
Having tried both the HD600 and HD650s after I can see why it is seen as an overtly critical headphone.

I have paired it with a tube amp and it seems to be dulling it down a notch thankfully..