Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

War on Everyone

Started by Harpo Speaks, October 11, 2016, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo Speaks

This was an almost complete misfire by John Michael McDonagh after the excellent Calvary. Suffers from the fatal flaw of thinking it's about ten times witter and edgier than it actually is.

The script is aching to be Tarantino or Shane Black, but can't get close to being either, and the attempts to be 'edgy' amount to pointing to a minority on screen and hoping that no further writing is required to elicit some sort of reaction from the audience.

Anyone seen this yet?

Head Gardener

saw it on Monday and you are right, it's rubbish

Dr Syntax Head

That is a shame actually. I hope you're both wrong but y'know, I won't hold my breath.

As soon as something gets describes as tarantinoesque I switch off

Glebe

Have noticed it's getting some poor reviews. Ah well.

hewantstolurkatad

I said this in the previous thread, but a big chunk of the positive reviews for Calvary were very very very focused on Brendan Gleason and not especially positive of anything else. Remove him and both of those would've been pretty marmitey, imo; I'd imagine there's a good chance if you liked the writing in the Guard and Calvary that this'll be more of the same to some degree?

non capisco

Not as irreverent as it thinks it is and not as amusing as it needs to be. Utter load of numbing, unfunny shit.  Loved 'Calvary' and 'The Guard' too.

Sam

The Guard is an incredibly good film. Calvary was uneven but ambitious and had lots of fantastic bits. I'm sure I'll find the positive in this film but it looks like each film is less good than the last, unfortunately.