Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Films of Michel Gondry

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 14, 2016, 10:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Because these sort of threads are always a great success. Anyway, this is more a reason to post a brief review of his 2015 film Microbe and Gasoline, a touching and sweet film about two kids who (sort of) build a car and go on a journey across France. There's not too much more to it than that, it's just a coming of age road movie with some lovely moments and fun dialogue, with the kids putting in great performances. There's none of Gondry's trademark visual wizardry here but it's intimately and effectively shot, and one of those films that feels relaxing to watch. This is a good (if all too short) interview with Gondry about the film, which explores it in more detail but doesn't give away many plot details: http://thirdcoastreview.com/2016/07/07/filmmaker-michel-gondry-discusses-his-new-movie-microbe-gasoline/

I'm a fan of the man in general, even Indigo Prime did it for me, and how, and I'm very fond of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as well. Plus Be Kind Rewind is enjoyable, if throwaway stuff, and I even liked Human Nature, but I feel it's a film I should revisit as I've a feeling it might have aged badly. Who knows though. Well, someone who's watched it recently I guess.

What else, um, his music videos are great and he seems like a very nice man. Aw.

hewantstolurkatad

The science of sleep appearing on someone's okcupid is a flag that I'll be able to get a date with them but we'll both hate each other.

His chomsky film was good, what he added to eternal sunshine was good. He's best when he's messing about.