Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Mister Six on September 29, 2017, 06:07:50 AM
Nah, not very enthused about Grand Theft Equine there. I don't want to play some violent robber cunt, even if he - as the title implies unless they don't particularly give a shit any more - goes through some kind of redemption arc.

Yes, slightly concerned about playing as, what looks like, a more out-and-out dick of a character. That's what put RDR over the GTA games for me, in that the main character was a lot more sympathetic and a decent character, at least compared to others in that world (although having said that, RDR wasn't without its more questionable main character actions - I seem to recall some out-of-character moments from John Marston, where he'd do missions for people who were quite clearly arseholes)

Mister Six

Quote from: I.D. Smith on September 30, 2017, 07:05:25 PM
Yes, slightly concerned about playing as, what looks like, a more out-and-out dick of a character. That's what put RDR over the GTA games for me, in that the main character was a lot more sympathetic and a decent character, at least compared to others in that world (although having said that, RDR wasn't without its more questionable main character actions - I seem to recall some out-of-character moments from John Marston, where he'd do missions for people who were quite clearly arseholes)

Aye, RDR is the only game that's ever made me play as a gang-rape collaborator. Which is a distinction of sorts, I suppose, but not one I enjoyed or that particularly made sense for the character or situation.

The writing throughout the Mexico segment was atrocious. Really, everything between the introduction of Irish and the Dutch missions was the usual lazy Rockstar shit. Such a shame, because those early missions with Bonnie, her dad and the marshal were well-characterised and seemed pretty thoughtful.

Mister Six

Having thought about it, Grand Theft Horse-oh would have been funnier. Not by much, granted.

Shay Chaise

I hope this one completely removes the goofy humour and heavy handed satire. I also hope that the gameplay involves more than just rotating the camera and aligning a crosshair, like most third person action games. A bit more weight to the story and characters, a sense of weight and a physics system in the vein of BotW to give players creative options to interact with the world besides shooting. They do so so much right with their games but they're desperately hollow, to my tastes. All of the best stuff happens in the player's imagination.

Now, you can argue that this is deliberate, and an amazing achievement in itself to stimulate the mind and leave gaps to fill, but their heavy authorial tone directly contradicts this notion. They just don't have a very light touch, or rather, they have no respect for the player's intelligence.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Mister Six on September 30, 2017, 09:23:43 PM
Aye, RDR is the only game that's ever made me play as a gang-rape collaborator. Which is a distinction of sorts, I suppose, but not one I enjoyed or that particularly made sense for the character or situation.

The writing throughout the Mexico segment was atrocious. Really, everything between the introduction of Irish and the Dutch missions was the usual lazy Rockstar shit. Such a shame, because those early missions with Bonnie, her dad and the marshal were well-characterised and seemed pretty thoughtful.

Exactly! Although those early mission were like tutorials for the main game (SPOILERS!), they also helped build up an idea of the make of the man you were playing. So stuff like rounding up horses, protecting the farm from critters, and generally helping out Bonnie and her Dad paints him as a decent sort, just a bit rough around the edges (although coming from a darker past). Even when you do start shooting folk, it's generally shits and ne'er do wells you're fighting.

But then you get to Mexico, and next thing you know you're cosying up to some comedy drunken mini dictator, who gets you burning innocent working Mexicans out of their homes just because they have the audacity to stand up to their local overlord (from what I recall, anyway - my memory is hazy because it's been years, but I remember feeling a bit disappointed in old John during that part of the game)

Mister Six

Quote from: Shay Chaise on September 30, 2017, 09:44:38 PM
I hope this one completely removes the goofy humour and heavy handed satire. I also hope that the gameplay involves more than just rotating the camera and aligning a crosshair, like most third person action games. A bit more weight to the story and characters, a sense of weight and a physics system in the vein of BotW to give players creative options to interact with the world besides shooting. They do so so much right with their games but they're desperately hollow, to my tastes. All of the best stuff happens in the player's imagination.

Now, you can argue that this is deliberate, and an amazing achievement in itself to stimulate the mind and leave gaps to fill, but their heavy authorial tone directly contradicts this notion. They just don't have a very light touch, or rather, they have no respect for the player's intelligence.

That also ties in with another of my complaints, which is that they provide very limited and basic ways of interacting with the world, forcing them to rely heavily on missions with incredibly specific, context-sensitive methods of interaction that never crop up again.

I'm thinking of stuff like controlling thingy's dog in GTA V or sniping those blokes who happened to be standing precariously on scaffolding in GTA IV. Stuff where you're essentially just doing a protracted, plodding version of Simon Says rather than learning a bunch of useful skills that can be adapted and employed on the fly as the game progresses.

Add that to the rudimentary game mechanics (look at Sleeping Dogs, with its takedown car boosts and reasonably complex fighting system, for a game that's interested in giving you tools, not prompts for the next plot nugget) and you end up with a game that's simultaneously over-ambitious and under-designed.

RDR was marginally better because there were a few things, like lassooing and, er, probably something else to add variety. But the games always feel like an afterthought now, or something Rockstar begrudgingly includes because they can't get the funding/aren't good enough writers to make films.

mobias

I genuinely can't remember much about the story, plot, and dialogue (or lack of) of RDR1. I enjoyed the multiplayer element so much that I hardly bothered with single player other than to complete the story and then completely forget about it. RDR was a far more focussed open world experienced than GTA online and indeed any other open world game I'ever ever played. Even Witcher 3 suffers a bit from spreading itself too widely at times I think. Thats why I'm hyped for RDR2. I think Rockstar do better when they're contained within the confines of a tighter open world setting like late 19th century America. When you're exploring the environment online with some friends you know some dickhead isn't going to suddenly appear out of nowhere in a gunship helicopter and blow you up.

I'm really looking forward to this game.   

QDRPHNC

Wonder if there'll be a first person mode like GTAV. Hope so.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on September 30, 2017, 09:23:43 PM

Yeah I remember a blog years ago that summed up it's problems brilliantly, the opening couple of hours are brilliant, and the ending with his wife and son are also great. But everything in between.

But then it's the usual rockstar padding, spending hours with the snake oil salesman with his quests like "Just poison this villages water supply then slaughter the livestock and blow up an orphanage and then maybe I'll give you some information that might help you maybe... I dunno."

And yeah the Mexico segments had you doing things for the oppressors and revolutionaries who were both bad of course. I remember there was that genuinely good woman but she was in love with the obviously horrible sleazy selfish revolutionary leader.

The question is if Rockstar are brave enough to include another drunk Irish character sterotype.

This part in Undead was magnificent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSEwy8ZORc

Bhazor

colacentral

I'm quite resentful towards Rockstar over GTA 5 / GTA Online still. The recent threads about people going back to GTA Online make me a little bit ill, thinking about how great the experience should have been at the beginning, and how most people have moved on long ago. It was sold on the promise of heists and further single player content, but the latter never happened and the former only happened when the PS4 / Xbox One re-release came out and online players for the previous gen were for the most part either on to a different game or on the next gen console playing rather than the original version.

And the original online experience, allowing the awful player created stages to take over so every other death match featured a dumb gimmick like everybody being in tanks or unarmed combat only, was another thing that pushed players like me away from it. It's infuriating because the building blocks for something incredible are all there, and in the brief window that I had friends playing with me to do co-op missions it was brilliant.

So far RDR doesn't interest me at all. Bad Rockstar gameplay in an ugly brown world, great.

Ferris

I liked the bit where you tame horses, herd cows, and go on awkward hunting trips with your estranged son. I hope those bits are in this one.

itsfredtitmus

always different; they are always the same

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on October 01, 2017, 12:25:43 AM
The question is if Rockstar are brave enough to include another drunk Irish character sterotype.

This part in Undead was magnificent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSEwy8ZORc
how did you manage to bring your /pol/ shit into a red dead thread

Ferris

Rockstar is telling me this is pending release spring 2018. However, trying to preorder from amazon tells me it won't ship until 12/31/18. I'm not waiting til then.

Thursday

Quote from: colacentral on October 01, 2017, 03:44:14 PM
I'm quite resentful towards Rockstar over GTA 5 / GTA Online still. The recent threads about people going back to GTA Online make me a little bit ill, thinking about how great the experience should have been at the beginning, and how most people have moved on long ago. It was sold on the promise of heists and further single player content, but the latter never happened and the former only happened when the PS4 / Xbox One re-release came out and online players for the previous gen were for the most part either on to a different game or on the next gen console playing rather than the original version.

And the original online experience, allowing the awful player created stages to take over so every other death match featured a dumb gimmick like everybody being in tanks or unarmed combat only, was another thing that pushed players like me away from it. It's infuriating because the building blocks for something incredible are all there, and in the brief window that I had friends playing with me to do co-op missions it was brilliant.

I remember us having a few CaB sessions back in last gen days, but it just wasn't quite there then. I wasn't really interested in paying for it full price again next gen, and I remember being quite annoyed a their tactics of not giving it a proper discount in Steam sales and instead bundling it with a shark card and selling it for the normal price. I might have been tempted back in at that point, but the time passed.

Yet it sill sits high in the charts every week and it does annoy me a bit.

Ferris

Did some tidying up of my consoles and finally got around to buying an HDMI splitter (so I can have most of them plugged in at once). I brushed the dust off the PS3 and booted up the original Red Dead Redemption. It really is a masterpiece in scene-setting and tone. The sunsets, the coyotes, the weather engine... just superb.

Very excited for the sequel, can't come out fast enough in my opinion. Still slated for October...

VelourSpirit

It really was a great experience. Imagine if 2 could even be half the game that was. Obviously it'll be more technically impressive but will they nail the atmosphere and make something incredibly memorable? I would have thought we'd be getting some more news by now considering it's just less than 6 months away. I've honestly not been too fussed about the trailers so far though. I'll probably be more convinced by it whenever they show actual gameplay.

mobias

Yeah I'm surprised by how late in the day Rockstar have been with the hype and marketing this time around. We're 6 months from release and no next to nothing about the game. Anyway we're getting a new third trailer on Wednesday afternoon and I believe we will here things soon. Apparently the worlds press was in Edinburgh recently for a big press junket.

Viero_Berlotti

Probably the only game I will pay full price for and buy on release day this year. I just hope the focus is on the single player gameplay and story, online multiplayer is just not my bag.

wooders1978

I think the "red dead new trailer: coming this May" tweet was a shitmove- thought the game was actually being released on time - who wants a countdown for a fucking advert??

Obel

Quote from: wooders1978 on May 01, 2018, 07:35:09 AM
I think the "red dead new trailer: coming this May" tweet was a shitmove- thought the game was actually being released on time - who wants a countdown for a fucking advert??

Cretins

mobias

Quote from: wooders1978 on May 01, 2018, 07:35:09 AM

Rockstar have been doing this since the PS2 era games. All aboard the hype train. Toot toot!

Ferris

It's already been moved back a year - surely that's as far as they can go?

mobias

Don't worry It's definitely coming out in October folks.

magval

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 30, 2018, 07:57:06 PM
Probably the only game I will pay full price for and buy on release day this year. I just hope the focus is on the single player gameplay and story, online multiplayer is just not my bag.

Didn't hurt GTAV.

hedgehog90

Read Dead 2 Official Trailer #3

Looks alright.
The innovation this time may be in the story telling. It looks very cinematic.

wooders1978

Don't let naughty dog see you describing cinematic story telling as "innovative" - they'll chin ya

Neomod

Hmm, wasn't particularly blown away by that and i'm still not sure about the main character.