Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishfinger

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on December 01, 2018, 04:21:04 PM
Glad it's not just me. Well, this, along with the wierd economy (how much for a tin of beans?!) and a supposedly unfriendly to PVE type of players, means I might wait a bit before dipping my toe back in.

Fortunately, the main game is so good, I'm currently enjoying a second playthrough, which is something I haven't done with a game for a very long time

Yes the story is wonderful. I found it immensely satisfying, taking a max honour route. The online mode is crappy right now but it's still fun with friends. Hopefully they'll fix the egregious issues before too long. I think most of the crashes are due to servers going offline as they seem to affect everyone at the same time. I'm assuming that they're using their own dedicated servers instead of a peer-to-peer structure.

Hank Venture

So is RDO as pay-to-play and broken as GTAO?

Depressing state of affairs. Either you refuse to pay to enjoy the multiplayer, or you have to invest more time to make an experience you do for fun actually be fun. They're not going to release Single Player DLC for this, are they? More money in multiplayer (microtransactions), I suspect. Fuck 'em, if I'm buying this it's used or on a heavy discount.

I think they made eight billion pound off GTAO. I can only guess that they're not really in this for gamer cred.

Cuellar

I had a quick go online last night, got my camp set up, rustled some horses with 3 other folks, got shot in the head by a randomer, did one of those battle royale type things with bows and arrows (and won!)

Don't really know what to do if I'm honest.

wooders1978

Will they reskin red dead 1 as a dlc? I'd buy it !

bgmnts

Fuck me that epilogue went on waaaaaay to long.

Harpo Speaks

Agreed, though it had three sequences I really enjoyed.

Overall I think it's still the most engaging and well realised story that Rockstar have ever done, pushed along by characters I was actually interested in, with the voice acting and motion capture to facilitate that level of emotional investment. Then you have the sheer level of detail of the open world and how the inhabitants live within it and react to it, I just think it's incredible really.

Might not quite be a 10, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's a masterpiece, albeit a flawed one.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on December 04, 2018, 01:20:28 PM
Agreed, though it had three sequences I really enjoyed.

Overall I think it's still the most engaging and well realised story that Rockstar have ever done, pushed along by characters I was actually interested in, with the voice acting and motion capture to facilitate that level of emotional investment. Then you have the sheer level of detail of the open world and how the inhabitants live within it and react to it, I just think it's incredible really.

Might not quite be a 10, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's a masterpiece, albeit a flawed one.

Agree with all of that. I just finished the main story last night, and I was surprised but how involved in the characters I had become during the course of the game. Without trying to give anything away, there was one character in particular I wanted to fuck up more than any person I've ever wanted to fuck up in any video game ever.

The ambiguity of your role in the world was hammered home early on, in Rockstar's usual hamfisted way, but by the time it got to the Native storyline, more was being left unsaid and was all the more resonant for it. Absolutely a flawed masterpiece, a staggering technical achievement, and in some moments, genuinely beautiful. The soundtrack is probably the most effective I have ever heard in a game, and was a big part of the handful of moments that to me were truly memorable.

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 04, 2018, 12:34:17 PM
Will they reskin red dead 1 as a dlc? I'd buy it !

Don't know if I saw it here or on Reddit, but apparently the 360 version you can download from the Microsoft Store looks very, very decent running on the One X.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on December 01, 2018, 04:21:04 PM
...Well, this, along with the wierd economy (how much for a tin of beans?!)...

To be fair, they didn't have Tesco Value Beans back in the Old West.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 04, 2018, 09:04:01 PM
Good to see you back, champ.

Why, thank you kindly.  It's good to be back on [INSERT INTERNET FORUM NAME HERE], among fine folks such as yourself, [INSERT NAME HERE].

I mean that sincerely.

kittens

made a pretty lady now. not been playing for days because i couldn't bear to be an ugly lady. back into it now.

QDRPHNC

Much like GTAV, I just can't get into the online mode. The story mode (even after it's completed) feels rich and immersive. Online feels like wandering around waiting to get shot. The fact that you can always see where everyone is, and that guns auto-aim takes any sense of skill or surprise out of the gunfighting too, it really just comes down to who sees who first. Add to that that almost everything decent is completely unaffordable unless you have 2 or 3 solid days to grind, and the whole things just feel very, very thin.

kittens

kittens

spent this evening on mic trying to persuade a disparate group of cowboys to stop shooting each other in the head and co-operate. didn't work. just spent four hours watching my lady get tied up and hurled into the ocean.

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on December 08, 2018, 10:44:47 PM
any ps4 lads playing tonight lads

Nah had a few tins and watched Seinfeld. You need to tell me ahead of time.

brat-sampson

Finished Chapter 5. That was... something. Almost felt like a totally different game. An interesting and unexpected choice though, which I appreciate. This has become something I'm playing for the story, rather than because it's fun. I'm properly invested in the gang members, and have been shocked at some of the losses we've taken. Need to keep on it I think.

bgmnts

Should I uninstall this after finishing the story or is the online decent?

wooders1978

Said earlier in the thread this wouldn't translate well to online and it appears I was bang on with my prophecy - ditched it and finally i have got around to god of war which is sublimely awsome I might add

Rizla

Having been uncommon busy these last few weeks, I finally finished chapter 6 last night, and I am not ashamed to say that i wept several times. I'm glad I got my good guy meter past the middle in time - that took some doing after my initial behaviour. As many others have said, an incredible piece of work, flawed but full of heart and beauty, bravo lads, bravo.

Have things improved at all online? I got my character all set up the other week but I missed the gang and got put off by glitch talk so I went back to story mode.

kittens

online is o.k. if you have nothing better to do. i think it would be fun playing with other people but so far all of cab has steadfastly refused to join my gang.

kilgore

kittens my brother I don't have any real friends either, let's ride!

P me M for info

St_Eddie

kittens

Quote from: kilgore on December 11, 2018, 07:53:04 PM
kittens my brother I don't have any real friends either, let's ride!

P me M for info

only just seen this. yes tomorrow night if i am around. been shooting people in the head tonight

St_Eddie

It's loads of fun; corralling cattle to the point of distress, murdering folk and generally being a massive cunt.  Haven't played Red Dead Redemption 2, mind.  Is it any good?

Quote from: kittens on December 11, 2018, 10:26:36 PM
...been shooting people in the head tonight

A man after my own black heart, there.

brat-sampson

Finished the Main Story (kinda) and yeah, that was fantastic. The slow-burn development really paid off, as did the familiarity you build amongst your padres, making it all the more painful when it all goes to shit.

There's still more, apparently a lot more according to what I've heard, and I want to see it through. I just it manages to feel different enough and not just a brief pause before another endless series of shootouts.

I just can't get back into this. There's simply too much open space and uneventful travelling for my tastes now. I genuinely think this would be better as a much more linear game or wholly linear game. I turn on AC:Odyssey and I wander around doing nothing in particular and then suddenly I discover a cave, ohh, shit, some bad lads, some gear, great. Go and have a swim, get attacked by a shark, hide in a shipwreck and swim like fuck to a rock, arrow in the shark's head, skin the bugger, nick a rowing boat and get back to shore, upgrade my stuff, oh look a bounty hunter, damn he's got a lynx, poison them both and kick him into the sea and poison arrow him from safety, now I climb a temple and that's all taken three minutes. It takes three minutes for Arthur to walk from one end of camp to the other and get on the fucking horse.

I have ADHD perhaps but I normally love this kind of thing. I could walk across the Skyrim map and back again only stopping for a mince pie and slurp of tea but Red Dead is actually just boring to me now. Nothin happens. Set a waypoint and stick it on cinematic camera and go and boil the kettle. It's anti-entertainment. It would be better as apple linear game, in summary. Best times I've had with it are the start and earliest cluster of camp missions. Since then it's a chore.

Ferris

*Mild spoilers*

I finished the story last night. I liked exploring the familiar landscapes from the first game, but still think it is a bit of a slog overall. They really tried to "play the old hits" with the moody songs kicking in at certain points in the game, but none of them had the emotional impact of the song in the first game.

The first game didn't take itself too seriously, lots of spaghetti western music and silly gunplay. This takes itself well fucking serious and it's less fun as a result.

Considering I was looking forward to this all year (the game announcement in 2018 was the reason I bought a PS4), it has taken me 2 months to finish the fairly straightforward story arc, and I wasn't exactly blown away. The first game was more concise, focused, and fun to play. It is still a good experience and a technical marvel, but it's not a great game. 7.5/10 maybe.

I have 0 interest in the online module unless there is a CaB posse to join. Even then, I'll probably just throw dynamite at everyone then log off.

Cuellar

Oh wait if you put the cinematic camera do you not have to move?

Sick to death of tapping x to gallop all over the effing place on missions. That one where you rob the bank in Valentine was at my estimation 80% riding there and riding away. Fuck ME that was boring.