Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuellar on December 23, 2018, 04:51:50 PM
Oh wait if you put the cinematic camera do you not have to move?

I dont think it works for missions sadly but yeah you start up a gallop then whip the cinematic camera on, you will automatically go to your set destination. Got killed many times in ambushes doing this, though.

Noodle Lizard

This is an odd game for me because, as fucking amazing and full as it actually is, I'm finding that I don't particularly enjoy playing it for myself.  I find a lot of it a bit grinding and tedious.  But I love watching YouTube videos about the Easter eggs and stuff - especially the spooky ones.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, though, and don't have much time for it these days, so spending 5 minutes just to get from place to place doesn't allow me to get a whole lot done (I've opened up fast travel in the camp and use the trains, but still)..  Maybe that's it.  I played the first one (and GTA V) into the ground, mind you.

Rizla

There was a spooky glitch while I was playing last night where I found Javier at the mouth of the Murfree cave, acting right strange. Lots of objects were just floating in the air outside the cave, it felt like a mad fever dream, or that bit in "Endless Night" where Hywel Bennet sees the ghost. Later on I found Manbearpig, killed the vampire (quality) and tried to see the ghost woman but a big ol' gator crept up just as I heard her voice and ate me up. Good times.

Timothy

Rizla

Quote from: Timothy on December 25, 2018, 11:59:32 AM
Might put that in spoiler tags Rizla....

Oh yes, although I wouldn't have thought that was such a huge spoiler at this stage, particularly if you'd played the 1st game (which I hadn't). Or did you mean the Endless Night spoiler? It's Agatha Christie, you can see the twists a mile off.

Thursday

I just got this today, and have avoided spoilers. I managed to skip over the last few posts. So I should probably just avoid this thread.

kalowski

What's the language and content like?, By which I mean, my son is comfortable playing games with a bit of death and destruction, he knows it is computer generated fiction but, hypocritical I may be, I'm not keen on him playing games with loads of swearing. So, I'd have no problems with him killing the Griffin in Witcher 3, but I don't want him playing when one character calls another a cunt.

Thursday

The whole domestic abuse story in Witcher 3 is fine though?

And all the shagging?

Cuellar

Quote from: kalowski on December 25, 2018, 02:46:31 PM
What's the language and content like?, By which I mean, my son is comfortable playing games with a bit of death and destruction, he knows it is computer generated fiction but, hypocritical I may be, I'm not keen on him playing games with loads of swearing. So, I'd have no problems with him killing the Griffin in Witcher 3, but I don't want him playing when one character calls another a cunt.

It's all 'n word' and full penetrative sex but your character despite being a murderous loon is woke enough to support the suffragettes and attack racists.

kalowski

Quote from: Thursday on December 25, 2018, 02:52:53 PM
The whole domestic abuse story in Witcher 3 is fine though?

And all the shagging?
I've obviously not got that far through!
Anyway, he doesn't play it, so won't come across that. Killing griffins is fine, domestic abuse not so much.

Thursday

I'm enjoying this so far, (I'm somewhere in chapter 2) I think it seems to be a game that needs you to meet it halfway, in terms of how you play it and what you expect from it. So the open world is there to create a sense of immersion rather than to be an emergent open world sandbox. There's definitely still the skeleton of a Rockstar open world game here, you're still travelling long distances between locations and doing some similar sort of missions, but it seems to be in service of something of slightly different, it's less "Grand Theft Horse" and more it's own thing. This could shift of course, but it's tone seems far more consistent, less of the cheap jokes you'd get in a GTA game. The camp is the main appeal for me so far, it grounds you in the world and just gives you lot of small personal stories to watch unfold, there's some warmth there not present before in a Rockstar game.

I'll probably get bored of it at some point and I'm in the Christmas honeymoon buzz mode, but good so far.

It should just be a linear game like TLOU and it'd be one of the best of that type ever made. The travelling wears they whole thing too thin.

Timothy

No way. Riding your horse from one place to another, sightseeing and helping strangers was the best part of the game imo!!!!

Waking Life

I enjoy the story driven gameplay for what it is, but that is definitely not the appeal for me. It feels more of a distraction than just riding out aimlessly (sometimes with waypoints, more often without) and having different experiences each time. The GTA games definitely offered more of that linear experience (despite the work that went into making it 'lived in') and that's why I became pretty tired of the franchise. The scenery was nice, but the world was hollow (GTAIV the worst offender). There is definitely more going on in RDR2.

There are a lot of ways it could be bettered though. The gang camp makes the missions feel more interconnected, but a game this expansive deserves a properly realised branching story structure. It would obviously make choices more consequential and all the side characters / missions could be more seamlessly integrated. The story is still a relatively narrow train track; the massive world is ultimately at odds with the gameplay structure.

For what it's worth, it would be easy to implement that TLOU style linear game in the current format and I actually don't think it takes much patience to play it that way as is. It's ultimately what most people probably want, even if it misses out on (what I feel) makes the game potential great. A Fistful of Dollars compared to Once Upon A Time In The West.

Timothy

Agreed. The story was okayish, the world (and travelling) was what makes this game so great. If it would have been a TLOU linear story I wouldn't have liked this game much. The story isn't interesting enough and the missions too samey.

I also enjoy the walking simulator open world wandering side of it but I feel the two elements clash in quite a glaring way in 2018. This isn't an original point of view but this game is both incredibly advanced and incredibly dated from a design and structural perspective.

Why ever take on a story mission? Because you "feel it's about time" or you're a bit bored of the aimless/checklist stuff. What's the in-game reason, though? Maintain the narrative momentum? So what's the in-game reason for all the fucking about? Make money for the camp and get cosmetic gear and...for the fun of it? So, why are the controls deliberately so sluggish and require you to engage with the minutiae? The immersion? But this contrasts with the fun...And...What's the purpose of the cores or the gun cleaning or the other clicker elements? What does this add to either the narrative structure or the open world wandering?

It's a total clusterfuck of systems and inconsistent design elements. It's a colossal sprawling mess. It's also utterly magnificent when the stars align, whether that's through the story and characters or the amazing spontaneous/scripted theatre of the unparalleled open world. And yet, it's still most definitely a clusterfuck.

For all these criticisms, I applaud them for so much of what they've done here and I can totally understand how this could be someone's favourite game ever. It's incredibly brave and ambitious and singular (in many ways!) but it comes with a whole host of caveats and very much requires you to take it on its own terms. I respect that, I just don't always enjoy it.

Timothy

Can't agree with any of that.

I did the story missions because the conversations with the gang at camp made me want to do it and because I wanted to continue Arthur's story.
I did the wandering about to collect stuff for camp or to collect money for camp. Because so many side missions happened while travelling it all felt perfectly natural and all made perfect sense.
I always felt like part of the world and felt like Arthur. Gun cleaning or skinning animals was fun and felt true to life. It never felt like I was playing a game. That's what I liked about it.

Didn't think the controls were sluggish. It was just like it was with GTA so I immediately was used to it. The only thing I disliked was how easy it was to run into a tree with your horse.

The only thing that I would have liked to see more off was more choices. Choices to do things differently. More RPG like, with different outcomes. But I can accept that's not this game.

I'm amused at how we're bizarro versions of each other with pretty much everything but at least we're pretty consistent.

I thought the first was far superior

Hopefully they do a better job of Bully 2

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 27, 2018, 01:26:21 PM
I'm amused at how we're bizarro versions of each other with pretty much everything but at least we're pretty consistent.

I thought I was your bizarro version (and Biggy's gaming twin), but I got RDR2 for Christmas so we shall see...

kalowski

Fuck it. The special edition was £65 on PS4 store so I jumped. I'm also downloading God of War so I've managed about 1/20 of RDR2. Will report back my thoughts on the game in about a week when I can finally play it.

Thursday

Shocked I saw no mention of the deluxe baths on social media.

wooders1978

Quote from: Thursday on December 29, 2018, 05:41:05 PM
Shocked I saw no mention of the deluxe baths on social media.

They're something and nothing though aren't they really?
Some girl comes in and rubs your shoulders whilst you're in the bath - pray for our souls!!

Thursday

Well yeah, it's not OUTRAGEOUS but it's ridiculous and quite funny, so to see nothing of it seems odd to me.

Cuellar

I've honestly no idea what the 'cores' are or why they're important.

Thursday

Well you've got those circles and you've got those rings around the circles and I just eat food or take medicine for both sometimes.

kalowski

OK, this is marvelous. But clearly going to take me months to play through. Not a game where you can snatch a quick half hour here and there. I've just hunted and skinned a deer, so I'm very early in the game. Would happily just ride my horse for hours and hours.
Can't wait to explore the world.

Any injuns in it?

Utter Shit

Why the hell does poker take so long to play? Surely I don't need a cut scene of the deal changing hands, a cut scene of the winner claiming their chips and a cut scene of the other players' reactions after every single hand? It's otherwise a reasonably functional poker game, but it takes fucking forever.

Also who do I need to talk to to unlock fishing? I wandered up to the fish drawing on the map and spotted a few, but short of unloading my gun into the water (which did work eventually, after about fifty missed shots) I'm a bit stuck for actually catching.

Cuellar