Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Fishing unlocks at some point in chapter 2 when you talk to Abigail and she asks you to do something with Jack, Although I think more parts of it unlock early in Chapter 3.

Thursday

I wish Sadie would play poker with me and the lads :(

Zetetic

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 27, 2018, 12:23:46 PM
I also enjoy the walking simulator open world wandering side of it but I feel the two elements clash in quite a glaring way in 2018. This isn't an original point of view but this game is both incredibly advanced and incredibly dated from a design and structural perspective.

Why ever take on a story mission? Because you "feel it's about time" or you're a bit bored of the aimless/checklist stuff. What's the in-game reason, though? Maintain the narrative momentum? So what's the in-game reason for all the fucking about? Make money for the camp and get cosmetic gear and...for the fun of it? So, why are the controls deliberately so sluggish and require you to engage with the minutiae? The immersion? But this contrasts with the fun...And...What's the purpose of the cores or the gun cleaning or the other clicker elements? What does this add to either the narrative structure or the open world wandering?

I think you're being generous with '2018'. This inability to connect gameplay and narrative while still emphasising the latter was embarrassing a decade before that. There's criticism of Bully (2006) from around the time of its release that highlights much the same problem (albeit more compressed) - Rockstar's access to cash lets it drag this out on a much grander scale and with stories (or at least premises) that are just about interesting enough to make it considerably more irritating.

It's interesting that you mentioned TLOU a while back - I think that just a few years on, more people were able to more clearly see how much the padding of meaningless combat undermined the rest of the game (even while some combat served the experience).

Thursday

Poker's rigged. Deleted from my hard drive.

Noodle Lizard

I finished it - the story.  Overall, it's really good.  It got far more involving and immersive after Chapter II, even though I could have done without probably half of the actual missions (and most of Chapter V), and ultimately did begin to have a drastic impact on my playing style in my "free time", which a sandbox game has never managed before for me.

The epilogue was far too long, largely boring and should have been optional, if not its own standalone DLC type thing.  Because of that, the moment the credits finally rolled was a bit of a damp squib - too much distance between that and the main plot.  Along with aspects of the main story, it does suffer from that prequel problem of already knowing how things will turn out in the end, thus reducing any tension or suspense you might feel at certain points.  That's being a bit nitpicky, though, overall they did an incredible job.

Thursday

Hmm... not into these Strauss  debt collection missions (I'm fine with all the killing, but don't make me do this!). Rare moments of wrestling control from you, which I especially don't like because it seems like it's building towards something, which is only going to be acceptable if it's shooting Strauss in the face.

Utter Shit

I'm limited to stints of half hour or forty-five minutes at a time at the moment, so I'm not getting through much of the story but I'm still just having so much fun wandering around the map.

Annoyingly I died for the first time - I went and had a look at the Fort Wallace place and then forgot to pause the game when I had to check on my kid, and when I got back to the TV a load of lookouts had taken exception to me and started shooting at me - I almost got back in time to escape, but one of them shot me in the back as I tried to get away on my horse.

Also did a little mission where Mary's kid had joined a cult - for the first time it really felt like a re-skinned GTA, with me chasing that little twat for ages. Was ok, but I definitely get more out of the atmosphere of the game and the general feeling of exploring the world than the story or the gameplay. Although I will say the voice acting (coupled with the graphics being so good, so you really buy into little movements of the eyes and minor facial expressions) is miles better than anything else I've ever played and helps draw you into the story.

Anyone know how to increase my dead eye and health? My stamina is amazing now cos I'm always running about, but I don't think my other cores are good.

Fishfinger

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 04, 2019, 12:46:26 PM
Anyone know how to increase my dead eye and health? My stamina is amazing now cos I'm always running about, but I don't think my other cores are good.

Some tonics you can find and (iirc) purchase give you stat experience rather than simply replenish your pool.

Performing camp chores like chopping wood and distributing horse feed will raise your dead eye. Fishing, fighting hand-to-hand and shooting a bow should improve your health. There are probably other ways I can't think of right now.

Utter Shit

Nice one, I'm out of the habit of doing chores so that should help. I've noticed a couple of red signs when I'm in camp too - one of them is warning me that the camp needs more food, but I couldn't work out what the other ones were.

Also I STILL haven't killed that cunt bear.

Cuellar

I've taken to never shooting anyone now (actually haven't played it for weeks but the lat time I did this is what I was doing). Knife only. Unless I'm on horseback being chased and having to keep up with my gang.

If I'm on foot, or if I'm on my own and being chased on horseback, it's 'run up to them, rugby tackle them to the ground, slit their throat'.

Haven't died as a result of an enemy with a gun for ages. Just feels like you can't, unless you literally don't move and have more than 3 shooting at you constantly. Too easy this game, like GTAV. Never feel in danger, never feel like the game will let you make a mistake.

Thursday

So am I the only one who's had no real issues with the controls? I've seen the stuff about accidentally trying to rob people or that they keep punching horses, and that's never happened to me. Not that I've mastered them or anything, because I don't even know how to punch a horse.

kalowski

Quote from: Thursday on January 04, 2019, 05:47:12 PM
So am I the only one who's had no real issues with the controls? I've seen the stuff about accidentally trying to rob people or that they keep punching horses, and that's never happened to me. Not that I've mastered them or anything, because I don't even know how to punch a horse.
I've definitely shot someone by accident. I saved someone from a snakebite, sucked out the poison, and then shot him in the foot. Poor guy.

QDRPHNC

I had a few hiccups with the controls. Mostly the very terrible "RB - Aim Weapon", when in reality it's actually "RB - Aim Weapon, Automatically Shoot the Person You're Looking at in the Head, Fail Mission."

Ferris

I definitely gave my horse a couple of absolute hay-makers before I got the controls down

Cuellar

I punched a horse once and haven't been able to replicate it, no matter how hard I try.

Thursday

I tried pressing every button near my horse and it turns out it's R2. I'm blaming all of you for making me punch Zeinab Badawi in the name of scientific experimentation.

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on January 04, 2019, 08:17:36 PM
I tried pressing every button near my horse and it turns out it's R2. I'm blaming all of you for making me punch Zeinab Badawi in the name of scientific experimentation.

The animation is so ludicrously over the top with the cartoonish lunging right-hook right to the horse's mush, that it never failed to get a laugh from me whenever I did it (accidentally).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cuellar on January 04, 2019, 08:07:50 PM
I punched a horse once and haven't been able to replicate it, no matter how hard I try.

Never mind that, have you played Red Dead Redemption 2?

brat-sampson

Red Dead Redeemed, credits rolled, uninstalled to save the space. Probably the best game with bad gameplay/shooting I've ever played. The highs are unmatched, while the lows are just 'a bit lame'.

Thursday

I am still enjoying the game a lot, but it's odd how unremarkable the gameplay is really. I'm enjoying all the camp stuff and the general feel of being in the world. The amount of things that can happen as you're roaming about is good. But it's not done anything particularly game changing, it's just got a level of polish games like this aren't usually capable of.

On the The Computer Game Show podcast, Murray called it a bit "last gen" which infuriated Turners, but I think he's absolutely right.

Although I am still on chapter 3 in Lemoyne, (probably getting towards the end of it) but it's surely not like the core gameplay is going to change even if the kind of location does. (I'm vaguely aware of Saint Denis. I've held off from going there, because I want to see it for the first time when the story takes me there)

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on January 04, 2019, 05:47:12 PM
So am I the only one who's had no real issues with the controls?

Quote from: Thursday on January 05, 2019, 12:45:57 PM
(I'm vaguely aware of Saint Denis. I've held off from going there, because I want to see it for the first time when the story takes me there)

Just you wait, bud. The denizens of Saint Denis just can't wait to throw themselves under your horse or set the rozzers on you because you cross the street in the wrong place. You'll be shooting your way to a safe house and punching your horse in no time.

Thursday

They all keep saying "San" instead of "Saint" and "Deny" instead of "Dennis" Idiots!

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on January 05, 2019, 03:47:00 PM
They all keep saying "San" instead of "Saint" and "Deny" instead of "Dennis" Idiots!

Don't they even know that yet? I do.

Utter Shit

Finally advanced with the storyline a bit over the last couple of days after a month or so of doing nothing much other than wandering around. Saving that little twat from the cult was good fun, but I really enjoyed robbing some bloke's house at night while he slept, then fucking off in his stagecoach.

I could have done with a little more jeopardy - it didn't feel like I particularly needed to be subtle when robbing the house, although I'm sure if I'm done anything particularly loud I'd have failed the mission - but once again the game did a great job of making it atmospheric. For the first time I actually have a few quid in my pocket as well, so I think I'm going to buy a good gun and finally take that cunt bear out.

Blue Jam

Anyone managed to flambe their horse yet?

https://youtu.be/affiR_Vdu7A

Only just started chapter two, but when I get the chance I will name my horse Big Mandy, Deputy Dogfood or Insp. Gluefarter.

Cuellar

I recently did that mission where you ride off with Dutch (?) and Micah, you take a sniping position on a hill and they do something. Don't know what happens next as I skipped the cut scene but I woke up dangling by my feet in a room. Killed one guy and took his throwing knives then had to sneak around to get my weapons back etc.

Tried to throwing knife a guard in the head but missed, he alerted everyone. So there I am, in my red pjs, almost dead and woozy with loads of guards shooting at me. I ran down into my room, hid round the corner and waited for them to come to me.

Not to brag, but I STILL managed to kill all of them with my fists, this despite almost being dead. As I was beating one up the other would just stand there and wait his turn. Utterly feeble.

You wouldn't get that in Dark Souls.

ALSO: Why can't you just drop a gun? For some reason I keep defaulting to the sawn off shotgun which is annoying. I want to get rid of it, but I have to find another gun to replace it with (I did, but it's still stupid).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 08, 2019, 11:03:11 AM
Anyone managed to flambe their horse yet?

https://youtu.be/affiR_Vdu7A

That's not a glitch.  That's the Devil's work.  It's a crossroads, innit?

Blue Jam

Just murdered two ranchers and chucked their bodies in the sea before realising I could have just fed them to their pigs.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 09, 2019, 07:41:54 PM
Just murdered two ranchers and chucked their bodies in the sea before realising I could have just fed them to their pigs.

Alright, calm down, Mason Verger.