Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2019, 03:51:36 PM
Hogtying someone and chucking them on their own campfire and watching them burn alive as you cook yourself a lovely meal would get your honor totally FUBAR, right...? I'm definitely not going to do that to a rancher ("jolly", my arse).

Is it impossible to lasso a dog? I made friends with one then tried to steal it because I wanted a pet but it kept on giving me the slip.

If you kill one of a pair of rabbits and tie it to your horse the other rabbit will follow you and it's fallen life partner (including swimming across rivers) until you drop the (dead) rabbit or ride away quick enough.

Not sure if would work with dogs though.

touchingcloth

I like the bit where you can fully cilantro your bonce. Magic. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2019, 10:45:13 PM
I like the bit where you can fully cilantro your bonce. Magic. 

???

After petting a dog it felt so comfortable in my presence that it had no problem doing a poo in front of me- just like a real dog it circled round for ages, looking for the perfect spot before doing its business. Impressively realistic dog poo mechanics. Doing the mocap for that must have been fun.

Noodle Lizard

Tell you what, lads, I was playing this into the wee hours by myself last night and - perhaps on account of it being the Witching Hour - everything bad and bent and eldritchy ghoulish started flinging itself at me.  I got two Night Folk encounters in the swamps, followed by finding an illuminated boulder with a ram's head strung up to it and "Do you see?" written in blood, a severed head with a note on a stump nearby, and an entire forest area full of whispering cunts I couldn't see.

It felt more like I was playing a legitimate horror game, and it was ace.  Amazing they've managed to incorporate so much.

I looked this one up, but did anyone else find Satan's cave?

wooders1978

I believe there is a serial killer story you can do, sounds like you found one of the clues there

Obel

I've not played this in a few weeks but I've come across a couple of the serial killers works. The person strung up under the rail bridge and another one I forget. Both have the writing scrawled nearby. I love that they integrate stuff like this that doesn't follow a traditional mission structure, it's almost Dark Souls in how the story is implied. I hoped it would go further. The whispering sounds brilliant though, I wish I could find that.

bgmnts

Hang on should I reinstall this? I wonder how much shit i've misssed after completing the epilogue and uninstalling. Might give it another crack.

Most likely next week after its finished installing.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Obel on January 18, 2019, 11:19:20 AM
I've not played this in a few weeks but I've come across a couple of the serial killers works. The person strung up under the rail bridge and another one I forget. Both have the writing scrawled nearby. I love that they integrate stuff like this that doesn't follow a traditional mission structure, it's almost Dark Souls in how the story is implied. I hoped it would go further. The whispering sounds brilliant though, I wish I could find that.

If I remember correctly, it was somewhere near Annesburg.

Went looking for more Night Folk today and instead got suddenly mauled by a massive fucking aligator hidden in the mud.   Nearly shat myself, I don't mind telling you.

Horror game.

Blue Jam

Just watched a bit of The Hateful Eight and noted that it's not as good as RDR2.

Blue Jam

Just did that mission where you have to recover a debt from some woman and there's a guy hanging onto it who starts on you so you have to beat him up and loot his corpse for the cash. I had some nosy bastard wrongly accuse me of robbing a poor innocent man before running off to dob me in. I had finally managed to get my honor nice and high but at that moment I thought "fuck it" and ended up hogtying him and riding to the nearest campsite so I could have me a nice lil' grass fire. That felt goooood... I'm starting to hate grasses even more than ranchers.

I think I've been playing this all wrong- not got far with the story because I find pissing about much more fun than the story missions. I suspect I've also been finding things too early, ie, legendary fish locations when I can't do fishing yet.  I also wish the missions were a little more flexible- why do you have to intimidate someone by beating them up when you could just wave a gun at them? Why can't you just hogtie someone and loot them alive instead of having to kill them first? Why is your horse not always available when you have to chase someone? Not too keen on the missions so far but the pissing about more than makes up for it.

Should I go looking for the Night Folk or will the story take me to them? All that creepy stuff sounds ace.

Noodle Lizard

You'll generally come across the Night Folk at nighttime in the swamps around Lakay and Lagras and all that.  After a few encounters, you'll get a Stranger Mission related to them, but I don't think they really factor into the main story.

It's good fun.  Just hang around the swamps at night and investigate anything unusual.  They'll not be far off.

Thursday

Stopped playing this a while back somewhere in Saint Dennis as there were Destiny 2 things to do and now the thought of getting back into it seems like a chore. I want to give it a chance, as I didn't stop playing out of boredom and it does actually seem like there's more good things to see, but now I don't know if I'll ever be in the frame of mind to play it again.

kalowski

I'm loving just riding around, but I've also started the Black Belle mission. After I took her photo I went back to the saloon. I thought I'd order a bite to eat and just as I was looking at the menu it looked like one character started to speak the next line in the mission, something like "Didn't I see you wiht the author..." when it suddenly jumped to, "You want some oatmeal?".
Now I'm not sure where I'm up to in the mission or who to photograph next.

Maybe there will be something on the map somewhere.

The Roofdog

The gunslinger mission takes a break after you've photographed the first batch of people and returns fairly late in the game. So it won't show as completed yet and there's probably nothing else you can do on it for a while.

Hank Venture

Still somewhere in Chapter 2. Complaints:

- No fast travel from the camp
- The quest log is stupidly organized
- You get hassled by the law right after a mission, when Arthur explicitly says he'll "stick around to check if there is something to loot." Well, then don't send the police after me when there are no witnesses to me slaughtering O'Driscolls in the middle of nowhere. Also, it's stupid that the sheriff starts shooting at you if you go out and in again after completing a bounty contract.
- Pretty rigid missions. Failed a couple because I strayed from what you were supposed to do.
- No love interests, flirting, prostitutes. If R* wanted to be woke they could've done a Brokeback Mountain thing, it seems odd to leave it out. The closest you get is having someone wash you at the bathhouse.

Otherwise a good game. Great even. But not deserving of all the 10/10s yet. Other parts I really like, like the writing and the characters. I like the camp also, it feels really alive and dynamic. I don't mind the slow pace, either.

kalowski

Blue Jam

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 19, 2019, 10:17:01 PM
- No love interests, flirting, prostitutes. If R* wanted to be woke they could've done a Brokeback Mountain thing, it seems odd to leave it out. The closest you get is having someone wash you at the bathhouse.

What about the quest where you have to take the ladies to Valentine? And the bit where you suck out the poison from that guy's rattlesnake bite and urge him not to tell anyone? There's a quest where you meet your ex. Also the "deluxe bath" seems to come with a happy finish...

All that aside I still find the story missions much less fun than wandering about. The story missions are surprisingly linear- they could do with being more like Prey or Deus Ex or MGSV and having more than one way to complete them, especially given the wide range of tools at your disposal. I'm still enjoying it all immensely, mind.

Egyptian Feast

Still somewhere in Chapter 2. Complaints:

- No fast travel from the camp

You can buy an upgrade to Arthur's tent from the ledger that allows you to fast travel from the camp.

Rizla

- No love interests, flirting, prostitutes.

There's a boozy party at the camp sometimes after missions, and during one of them there was defo some rumpo going on between Sean and I think Karen, but you couldn't see anything as it was in a tent.

Hank Venture

I take it back. This game is fantastic - for some reason it only really clicked during Chapter 2. I love the writing, the characters, the story ... I seem to be the opposite from everyone else, I love the story missions and don't care much for wandering around.

The Roofdog

The setting for Chapter 1 is a poor choice in my opinion, I wonder if it put many people off. Even when I got to grips with the controls I found it tedious to go back to into the mountains, your horse handles like shit and it's difficult to work out where you're going, there are no towns, bandit attacks or stranger missions, the camp is grim. I always hate ice/snow levels in games though, so might be just me.

Thursday

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 21, 2019, 05:17:43 PM
I take it back. This game is fantastic - for some reason it only really clicked during Chapter 2. I love the writing, the characters, the story ... I seem to be the opposite from everyone else, I love the story missions and don't care much for wandering around.

Nah the story is the main pull for me, the thing is, I don't like to do that much exploring because my experience is that most of the interesting places you find, tend to be there for a story mission you get to later, so exploring too much feels like spoilers. Also I never seem to have the same luck with exciting emergent things happening that others seem to.

Timothy

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 21, 2019, 06:43:30 PM
The setting for Chapter 1 is a poor choice in my opinion, I wonder if it put many people off. Even when I got to grips with the controls I found it tedious to go back to into the mountains, your horse handles like shit and it's difficult to work out where you're going, there are no towns, bandit attacks or stranger missions, the camp is grim. I always hate ice/snow levels in games though, so might be just me.

I really really enjoyed that. One of the best chapters in the game imo. The music. The snow. Dutch. Amazing.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thursday on January 21, 2019, 07:16:15 PM
Also I never seem to have the same luck with exciting emergent things happening that others seem to.

It sounds like you've just been unlucky, I've unlocked loads of stranger missions and stumbled upon plenty of stagecoach hold-ups (they're a pain in the arse tbh- as in real life, don't get involved). I also can't seem to venture into Strawberry without someone kicking off at me- they're all spoiling for a fight there, not like those nice civilised folks in San Denny. I wish I could stop going into the saloon in Valentine too, that's just asking for trouble.

Blue Jam

That Micah's a bit of a prick innee? Really getting invested in the story and the characters now.

Hank Venture

Yeah Micah and Strauss suck. Charles and Lenny are the best. I feel that the female characters are pretty underutilized, examplified by Uncle barging into a conversation between and Molly only to ruin it. Thy don't really do anything, and I don't know what they contribute with at the camp.

I think I spoiled something for myself lurking around Braithwaite Manor. Shame. Also some voodoo guys assaulted me in the swamp and stole my perfect alligator skin. 'Sakes.

ToneLa

In my second playthrough I've already got the Legend of the East satchel and I'm just straight-up doing the non-story fuck shit aaah want girl.

Totally recommend a sat-up-to-TV first-person, no HUD, obsessive learning-through-satchel displays approach.

I may have completed the tale, but I need more of the world, eh, players?

Still, Rockstar's shitty NPC faces will haunt them into the next gen.

Edit: Quoted in Arthur talkin hisss guuuurl

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on October 31, 2018, 07:31:54 PM
Also, I just realised with a name like Arthur Morgan, he is possibly of Welsh descent.
The Welsh getting some love recently in games!

Care to expand on this? The only other game I've played with a proper reference to anything Welsh is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the Surly Welshman Whisky and the bit of Welsh in the description ("Iechyd da! Ble mae'r toiled?", translation: "Cheers! Where's the toilet?").

I have a Welsh flag on my car in Rocket League and of course there's Welsh stuff in Rugby League Live 3 and 4 but they don't count, and I don't think Morgan Yu in Prey really is Welsh-German-Chinese-American, as much as I'd like to believe that.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 23, 2019, 04:48:15 PM
Care to expand on this? The only other game I've played with a proper reference to anything Welsh is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the Surly Welshman Whisky and the bit of Welsh in the description ("Iechyd da! Ble mae'r toiled?", translation: "Cheers! Where's the toilet?").

I have a Welsh flag on my car in Rocket League and of course there's Welsh stuff in Rugby League Live 3 and 4 but they don't count, and I don't think Morgan Yu in Prey really is Welsh-German-Chinese-American, as much as I'd like to believe that.

Assasin's Creed 4 had a Welsh protagonist. Jack cunt but still.

Two massive AAA games with a Welsh(ish) protagonist. More than i'd ever thought would happen in my life.

RDR had a character called Welshy I think. GTA V has a few references. We're mostly the butt of jokes, but its at least something.

The Roofdog