Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Am I hearing things or was the pianist in the saloon in Valentine playing Holiday by Boney M?

Blue Jam

Ah, it"s actually "Polly Wolly Doodle", which Holiday is based on:

https://youtu.be/rtcqK2Bnxt0

This game is teaching me new things about naff 70's bands...

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:18:30 PM
Assasin's Creed 4 had a Welsh protagonist. Jack cunt but still.

Two massive AAA games with a Welsh(ish) protagonist. More than i'd ever thought would happen in my life.

RDR had a character called Welshy I think. GTA V has a few references. We're mostly the butt of jokes, but its at least something.

Hahaha, cheers for that. I didn't like the only Assassin's Creed game I've played (I forget which- one of the free Games With Gold ones, which narrows it down to about three million) but that's tempted me to get 4.

I got a bit of a thrill seeing this in DX:MD- perhaps someone at Squeenix is partial to a bit of Penderyn:

bgmnts

Haha I never actually read that item description! I always just assumed Welsh Whiskey was a surname brand name.

"Get the hell out of Wales" lol

God only know what Cymru is like in the Deus Ex universe.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2019, 12:25:23 PM
God only know what Cymru is like in the Deus Ex universe.

Gawd, imagine one set in Wrexham: Deus Ex: Mankind Degenerated

Right, that's enough about the Wild West, let's get back to RDR2...

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 24, 2019, 03:27:24 PM

Deus Wrex, surely?

Blue Jam

^^^ KARMA!

Let's get back to Honor shall we? Got mine nice and high despite the best efforts of Micah and Sean. Amazing how punching a horse has more serious consequences than robbing a train or massacring half a town.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 24, 2019, 03:44:28 PM
^^^ KARMA!

I don't think I can claim credit for that - it was sitting right there out in the open.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 24, 2019, 03:27:24 PM

"I didn't ask for this, butt"

One of the dialogue ptions would be 'Chopsy', half and half would be a consumable item.

Lets get this Deus Wrex game made.

kngen

I got this yesterday (am loading it now), mostly because I want to camp out in the woods, look at sunsets, hunt a bit, forage a bit, and maybe go and shoot someone if I'm bored. Not that fussed about doing the missions, but I probably will at some point.

Any tips on how to best do this with a) dying because I'm totally unprepared for the solitude and I should have done some side mission that teaches you how to gut rabbits or something; b) fucking up the rest of the game.

Basically, how long should I let the game lead me by the nose before I break off and do my own thing?

Timothy

End of chapter two. Make sure you do all the camp missions.

kngen

ToneLa

If you ever want to tame a horse, just keep the stick held down at 5 o'clock, don't bother moving it around

Rizla

Quote from: ToneLa on January 24, 2019, 05:56:56 PM
If you ever want to tame a horse, just keep the stick held down at 5 o'clock, don't bother moving it around
What if I'm playing at lunchtime?

One mildly annoying thing I find is when replaying missions, even ones you only just did, you won't have all your guns or your nice white horsey for the replay. Seems like you get a basic weapon loadout and a boring brown horse? Although I'm not sure whether getting gold on the missions has any impact on the game other than your own damn foolish cowboy pride. (I just redid the get pissed up on booze with Lenny mission, I forgot what a bloody laugh it is. That can-can!)

Something I didn't do first time around was the trinket crafting. It's well worth getting the buck antler one as it gets you perfect pelts, even from a two-star animal, which is invaluable if you're doing the wildlife exhibition quest. There's others that ramp up your dead eye, which makes the missions a bit more satisfying I find.

Thursday

Quote from: kngen on January 24, 2019, 04:16:38 PM
I got this yesterday (am loading it now), mostly because I want to camp out in the woods, look at sunsets, hunt a bit, forage a bit, and maybe go and shoot someone if I'm bored. Not that fussed about doing the missions, but I probably will at some point.

Any tips on how to best do this with a) dying because I'm totally unprepared for the solitude and I should have done some side mission that teaches you how to gut rabbits or something; b) fucking up the rest of the game.

Basically, how long should I let the game lead me by the nose before I break off and do my own thing?

I wouldn't worry really, it's not got hardcore survival mechanics. Chapter 1 will teach you most of the basics, and you can't go off and explore at that point.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:18:30 PM
Assasin's Creed 4 had a Welsh protagonist. Jack cunt but still.

Two massive AAA games with a Welsh(ish) protagonist. More than i'd ever thought would happen in my life.

RDR had a character called Welshy I think. GTA V has a few references. We're mostly the butt of jokes, but its at least something.
Tacoma also had Cwrth Cigarettes.

Welsh accents get used a bit as shorthand in various fantasy settings. The Witcher games and Dragon's Age (although neither terribly consistently). The Ladies of the Wood are interesting choice in the former.

Blue Jam

Just did the mission where Emmett Granger refuses to give you a quote for the guy's book and Arthur lashes out by using some dynamite to blow up a pile of manure and scatter it all over his farm. Mr Jam opined: "What a twat".

Arthur, you're a twat... I wish these missions were a bit more flexible, like the ones in Deus Ex where you get a choice in the dialogue and in how heavy-handed your approach is. Making Adam Jensen act like a total dick is fun but it's nice to have options, especially in a game with a karma mechanic.

kalowski

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 28, 2019, 09:41:49 PM
Just did the mission where Emmett Granger refuses to give you a quote for the guy's book and Arthur lashes out by using some dynamite to blow up a pile of manure and scatter it all over his farm. Mr Jam opined: "What a twat".

Arthur, you're a twat... I wish these missions were a bit more flexible, like the ones in Deus Ex where you get a choice in the dialogue and in how heavy-handed your approach is. Making Adam Jensen act like a total dick is fun but it's nice to have options, especially in a game with a karma mechanic.
The lack of choices in dialogue is the main weakness. Still, I'm happy just riding, camping and hunting. Shot a chipmunk the other day.

I did accidentally shoot someone in a town (Rhodes?) This led to an almighty gun fight where I had to kill about 10 people to make my escape. Ooops.

Blue Jam

Did you shoot someone during Dutch's ban on waving a gun around in Rhodes? I have been wondering what would happen if I did that but my Honor meter is nearly full and I'm too afraid to stop being a goody-goody right now.

kalowski

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 28, 2019, 10:49:52 PM
Did you shoot someone during Dutch's ban on waving a gun around in Rhodes? I have been wondering what would happen if I did that but my Honor meter is nearly full and I'm too afraid to stop being a goody-goody right now.
No, I was just travelling around. Wanted a room for a night so rented one in three busy saloon. As I went to my room I bumped into someone. He turned and punched me so I instinctively hit R2 and shot him dead. Everyone legged it screaming.

St_Eddie

wooders1978

Pretty sure the game imposed a gun ban (ie you can't draw your gun on the designated gun free area) during the ceasefire in Rhodes when I played through

VelourSpirit

Yeah I tried very very hard to cause a big fight in Rhodes but it just doesn't let you shoot people. Tried running people over and ramming my horse into people's wagons and I still didn't get in any trouble.

Paul Calf

Fuck.

Rode my (fast, elite handling thoroughbred, maximum bonding) horse too close to a fire and watched, helpless, as it threw me off, ran away with flames licking up its haunches burned to death right in front of me.

It made me feel like an animal abuser.

Blue Jam

Don't beat yourself up, Paul- you're far from the first:

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 08, 2019, 11:03:11 AM
Anyone managed to flambe their horse yet?

https://youtu.be/affiR_Vdu7A

Early on I shot a dog by accident and felt really bad, especially as I had actually been trying to pat it, but I have only been setting fire to bad humans. I also hogtied a witness and left him on a railway track and then saw him get decapitated by a train, admittedly that did make me feel a bit evil.

Blue Jam

Quote from: TwinPeaks on January 29, 2019, 02:15:39 AM
Yeah I tried very very hard to cause a big fight in Rhodes but it just doesn't let you shoot people. Tried running people over and ramming my horse into people's wagons and I still didn't get in any trouble.

It's probably that damn deputy sheriff's badge, for some reason you can't unpin it and people respect the law, even when they're blowing up pig farms. It should be like the bandana, with the ability to be deployed only when you want to hide your identity. That's a bit of an oversight.

Rizla

Out hunting for skunks I bumped into a gentleman in some distress round caliga hall who tells me his wife's been kidnapped and held in a shack in the swamp - of course I'm gonna help the man, but i press the wrong button and accidentally choke him instead, and am witnessed doing so. Manage to catch up with the witness but end up having to murder them and dump them in the swamp because he won't see reason. En route to rescuing the man's wife in the shack I am eaten by an alligator. Ludicrous game, I love it.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 29, 2019, 05:26:29 AM
Fuck.

Rode my (fast, elite handling thoroughbred, maximum bonding) horse too close to a fire and watched, helpless, as it threw me off, ran away with flames licking up its haunches burned to death right in front of me.

It made me feel like an animal abuser.

I killed my horse whilst trying to blow open a safe with dynamite. I hadn't bothered to hitch him and as I lit the fuse he wandered across the clearing to see what I was doing. RIP Gary u is wiv da angles now.

St_Eddie

Lot of horse deaths within this thread.  You glue making bastards!

Cuellar

Has anyone just teleported when setting up a camp?!

I went fishing by a river near our derelict mansion base, caught something so went to cook it, when the screen faded in again I was in the middle of a swamp near Saint Denis!

Not complaining massively, as I did find a pirate sword very near to where I teleported, but it was bloody weird.