Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:55:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

I'm in my second playthrough and I'm at 40% ish through myself but I've got the Legend of the East satchel, most of the outfits from the Trapper, and almost all of the stranger missions. (Half the map is locked away til the epilogue, sadly, but so are the best horses!). Health, stamina and deadeye are maxed out.

It's reminding me of what I hate about open world games though - there's no emergent enemies. Sure, I can find gangs to kill out in the wild, but the story itself is pretty rigid, and things like guns and abilities (why did it take me so long to be able to fish??) held back until certain story beats.

As amazing as this game is, I think I want a truly, fully emergent game - the story loose yet defined. I think that's the next step. My favourite examples in recent games have been the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor (imagine that with gunslingers who kill you and when that happens they form gangs!) but even the FIRST Red Dead had easy ideas like infinite bounty missions they've fucked off this time.

When you play it to the end, what do you have to do?  I like hunting but I know where to get any animal (you can ask me, but it's well documented online) , I personally don't find collection missions very interesting. Cigarette cards? Oh, who gives a fuck?

Naw. An open, living world needs open, living possibilities for conflict and things to do. I also feel, revisiting the original hype, they cut out a lot of what was originally hyped - you can't independently take gang members out with you; all the stranger events where you get "remembered" are scripted as fuck.

Dunno if anyone else got seriously into GTAV modding on PC, but even a basic trainer would make RDR2 better on PC: spawn a bodyguard as a camp member with their horse, fucking brilliant. Set the time to real, or anything a wee bit longer than 45 minutes = an ingame day. And there was a great mod called Crime and Police Rebalance, and the witness section here could do with, basically, logic.

Blue Jam

As I've said many times here, I'm not a great fan of collectibles. The Trapper outfits in particular seem like too much hard work, and The Dreamcatcher outfit makes Arthur look like that cunt from Jamiroquai.

Cuellar

I got tb last night so I fully expect to die any second, I look like death

The Roofdog

The Eugenics guy is one of the few characters that respawns. He appeared for me in the Epilogue after I hogtied him and threw him in the river in Chapter 4 anyway.

ToneLa

This play through, that Gavin shouting cunt is getting it

Thursday

It's obvious Gavin wanted to get the fuck away from him.

kalowski

I just went into an old shack and was mauled to fuck by a grizzly.

Later I killed the grizzly, but then got killed myself by some stray O'Driscoll guys so lost the bear pelt.

ToneLa

Quote from: kalowski on February 02, 2019, 11:09:00 PM
I just went into an old shack and was mauled to fuck by a grizzly.

Later I killed the grizzly, but then got killed myself by some stray O'Driscoll guys so lost the bear pelt.

That's where you find the pipe for Dutch

kalowski

Quote from: ToneLa on February 02, 2019, 11:10:01 PM
That's where you find the pipe for Dutch
Ah. I saw that but left it. That's a mission I've not come across yet.

Hank Venture

Some dipshit robbed me in St Denis, and between knocking me out and me waking up, my perfect bear pelt hat disappeared. How do I get it back? Or can the trapper make infinite amount on hats off of one Legendary pelt?

Rizla

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 03, 2019, 04:39:22 PM
Some dipshit robbed me in St Denis, and between knocking me out and me waking up, my perfect bear pelt hat disappeared. How do I get it back? Or can the trapper make infinite amount on hats off of one Legendary pelt?
Yes, one ledge pelt will make all the stuff. I think you can even just leave gary pelts where they are and they magically get to the trapper.

ToneLa

Quote from: Rizla on February 03, 2019, 04:44:19 PM
Yes, one ledge pelt will make all the stuff. I think you can even just leave gary pelts where they are and they magically get to the trapper.

They do. You get a message saying you abandoned the pelt and you can get it sorted at the trapper.

Rizla

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 03, 2019, 04:39:22 PM
I misread that, sorry. Yes, your bear hat should still be in your inventory somewhere-think that goes for all clothing/headgear, like the viking helmet I sometimes wear on jobs that makes me look like Jessie Rae.

ToneLa

All unique hats go to your wardrobe once you pick em up

I got two stolen hats in a row and I was worried the first one was gone as I wore the second but I kept em both!

That scarecrow hat is ace

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 02, 2019, 10:45:20 PM
The Eugenics guy is one of the few characters that respawns. He appeared for me in the Epilogue after I hogtied him and threw him in the river in Chapter 4 anyway.

I just got that random KKK encounter where the two fookin' Doyles get crushed to death under their own cross. I took out the grandmaster Klansman with a headshot but when I ran over to loot some tasty treats from out of their big ol' robes I could only find the two corpses of the Doyles, and only two black crosses showed up on the map... Spooky...

Paul Calf

Just finished the story. It's quite emotional; haven't seen an ending this emotional since Hue, or perhaps even Portal.

ToneLa

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 03, 2019, 08:48:14 PM
Just finished the story. It's quite emotional; haven't seen an ending this emotional since Hue, or perhaps even Portal.

Didn't realise til after I finished it how big a part morality plays!

I completely it with full honour and it was still emotional but knowing how it was different... Ooh boy. Low morality sounds bleak!

Paul Calf

If you sit and talk with Molly in the camp, you'll have a conversation about what Arthur feels about his behaviour.

"I've been killing a lot of people, Molly. Innocent men."

I was disappointed that they didn't both stare into the camera and say "Hmm?" at that point.

Yesterday I went back into the mountains and camped out, just me and my horse out hunting and looking for mountain plants in the snow.

Cuellar

Hank Venture

Quote from: ToneLa on February 03, 2019, 05:04:27 PM
All unique hats go to your wardrobe once you pick em up

And what about unique swords? I've seemingly lost my Civil War knife.

What do you use those unique items you rack up for? Meteorite, jewellry, etc?

Rizla

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 04, 2019, 01:24:31 PM

Unless it says "can be used for crafting" then they're just there to be sold for cash I think.

ToneLa

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 04, 2019, 01:24:31 PM

Select your knife in the menu cause you can scroll left or right to change what knife you use, dpad right on ps4

Those items are for the fence. Sell him them, if they're unique his crafting menu shows you what they're for, otherwise you earn cash

Rizla

I'm stuck on the dominos gambler challenge. Win 3 rounds without drawing? It's impossible I tell ya. Just going from game to game, thwarted each time. Killing 3 birds of prey with a tomahawk, sure, but win 3 games of sodding dominoes is beyond this cowboy.

ToneLa

Don't like gambling so ain't even tried that!

I'm on horseman 7, sharpshooter 7, competed explorer, herbalist 8... Very worth it, the trapper is the key to the whole game.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Rizla on February 04, 2019, 01:45:24 PM
I'm stuck on the dominos gambler challenge. Win 3 rounds without drawing? It's impossible I tell ya. Just going from game to game, thwarted each time. Killing 3 birds of prey with a tomahawk, sure, but win 3 games of sodding dominoes is beyond this cowboy.

I eventually managed that one, only to be defeated by the Blackjack challenge requiring you to win 3 games after being hit at least 3 times. Fuck that for a game of soldiers. I gave up on attempting to finish all of the challenges after an hour of attempting that. Probably for the best, as I really didn't fancy struggling with the astonishingly shit and tedious fishing minigame for hours/days/weeks to catch every type of fish in the world for the Survivalist challenge.

ToneLa

Fishing is ace, just use the palm of your hand for speed and constantly move up and down when reeling in

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: ToneLa on February 04, 2019, 02:21:43 PM
Fishing is ace, just use the palm of your hand for speed and constantly move up and down when reeling in

Tried all that, but still didn't get on with it. After a couple of minutes struggling with the bigger catches, I'd end up with a chronic case of wanker's cramp. Maybe it's a left-handed thing, maybe I was just shit at it, but I sank a lot of time into the activity before deciding to give up on it completely as I really wasn't enjoying it. I never managed to catch that legendary bastard by the railway bridge in Saint Denis despite numerous attempts, so decided against aiming for 100% completion and simply concentrated on doing things I enjoyed, like repeatedly terrorising that eugenics prick. I still made it to 96% or so completion when I'd finally done everything I wanted, so I got my money's worth out of it.

ToneLa

^ A bell went off at the lefty thing - I'm not but I broke my thumb(!) few years off and really repetitive movements make it ache. Don't have the dexterity I used to have for, yknow, wanking. Didn't like fishing til I found out how to ace it. I see it as "enforced peace" basically. The legendary fish stuff made it actually have a point, but I reckon they made the actual mechanic too linear or difficult. Now it's good for me, it's nice, you don't even have to hold down L2, your hands can almost be free! I land even the legendaries with the first cast with the palm of my hand. As a lefty you miiiiiiight be able to make it fun knowing it's not quite as strict as it first seems.... But you've got yer fun out of it easily by now :) Me? Can't be arsed with the gambling. Don't gamble, don't give a fuck. I'll never 100% it either!

---

Anyone like Online?

Anyone like the battle royale mode?

Thought not!

ToneLa

Fucking hell, asking about online totally killed discussion, which to be honest having tried online I should have seen coming