Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I never bothered with online, partially because it was still in 'beta' stage but mostly because GTA V multiplayer was so shit.

It's a shame Rockstar persisted with a tacked on multiplayer after working their team to majorly unethical limits to produce such a sublime game with a mountain of unique content.

Utter Shit

I've not tried online yet, still slowly working my way through the story. I got pissed with Lenny the other day which was great fun, then I headed out to some pond and saw a few small bears - didn't manage to kill any of them, but it was quite relaxing just being close to them and seeing what they got up to.

Cuellar

How do you get 'perfect' animal skins? I lassoed a deer or something, then calmly slit its throat, only to be rewarded with a 'good' skin. Dunno what else you can do!

ToneLa

Quote from: Cuellar on February 06, 2019, 12:32:28 PM
How do you get 'perfect' animal skins? I lassoed a deer or something, then calmly slit its throat, only to be rewarded with a 'good' skin. Dunno what else you can do!

That deer was probably not a perfect animal initially. Aye they seem to spawn in sets, they're not all perfect by default. Needs three stars showing when you look at it. If you don't know what the fuck I'm banging on about, you need to study the animal first. Binoculars are quite good for this though I ride around on horse as you can shoot things just fine instead of skulking through the undergrowth like a nonce.

You need basically to not damage the animal you're about to snuff, so use poison arrows, or my favourite, the Springfield rifle to its face. Or varmint for little things. Dead eye isn't really useful til the higher levels as more than one shot ruins the pelt.

Three stars perfect. Two, good, but shite as can't be used for crafting. One, dinnae bother

Cuellar

The Roofdog

Is there any point picking up a "good" pelt? They're worth fuck all money, I just started leaving them on the ground eventually. What a tragic waste.

ToneLa

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 06, 2019, 06:24:40 PM
Is there any point picking up a "good" pelt? They're worth fuck all money, I just started leaving them on the ground eventually. What a tragic waste.

I have yet to find a reason. A bit like donating the whole animal, it's meagre cash difference.

I did the treasure hunts early and got about six grand for those alone so money is no incentive. There's a fence trinket - from the legendary buck's antlers I think - that improves the quality one step though and it's worth going for that ASAP

Getting the Legend of the East satchel as soon as possible is amazing. Here you go Pearson, 46 steaks, you moaning cunt

Ferris

I'm just not sure about online play for anything really. If I wanted to interact with other people, I wouldn't have gotten heavily into video games as a child.

I like solo games. This was good (not as great as I'd hoped) and still not ahead of Skyrim for me. Will give it a replay in the next month or so and spend more time mucking around. First playthrough I raced through the story and sort of regret that now. I just wanted to know how it ended

Blue Jam

Quote from: ToneLa on February 06, 2019, 07:49:06 PM
Here you go Pearson, 46 steaks, you moaning cunt

I'm getting annoyed at seemingly being the only member of the gang who actually bothers to contribute anything. I like the bit where you get to tell Sean what the tin by the ledger is for and suggest that the stingy git puts something in it sometime.

No-one else seems to contribute much meat either, they've always run out by the time I get back to camp, the greedy bastards. I might go all Jeremy Clarkson on Sean and tell him to get me a fucking steak before assaulting him.

I could buy the ungrateful bastards a chicken coop, I guess. Is there any point in buying a boat? I'd like to try and get to that island but can you even get the boat out of the camp? Would a journey along the river take forever?

Cuellar

Never donated any food to the camp. The fuckers can starve for all I care, I'm dead on my feet here.

Blue Jam

I did wonder if there was any point in donating food, cheers. I'm getting sick of Pearson's passive-aggressive remarks and his stupid combover.

Got money to burn at the moment, I might buy a boat and see how far I can get with it- I've tried swimming and found that Arthur probably couldn't get much further than John Marston even with full stamina.

My last big purchase was The Gambler's Outfit, and a stranger paid for that after I helped him out when he got bitten by a snek. I left the shop and was feeling very dapper as I said Howdy to the next passerby, only for him to reply "I wouldn't be seen dead dressed like that". Fucking cheers mate... I still wish I had turned back and hogtied him for that diss.

Blue Jam

Been having fun shooting sneks on Flat Iron Lek.

Anyone else reckon that dopey wildlife photographer could be an ancestor of Steve Irvwin?

ToneLa

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 07, 2019, 02:17:24 PM

Got money to burn at the moment, I might buy a boat and see how far I can get with it- I've tried swimming and found that Arthur probably couldn't get much further than John Marston even with full stamina.

You'll get much further (believe there's even glitches that use this!) if you use your horsie and inject the poor thing with stamina shots over and over

Hank Venture

I accidentally completed Chapter 6 before finishing up all the side missions and shit I wanted to do. Do I have to start over again? Fuck that.

ToneLa

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 07, 2019, 10:18:16 PM
I accidentally completed Chapter 6 before finishing up all the side missions and shit I wanted to do. Do I have to start over again? Fuck that.

No. Just finish the story if you're locked in at that point, here is why, highlight: you play after the end and all the stranger missions and trapper and shite are still intact plus you get the other half of the map!

wooders1978

I'm trying to get a new playthrough going but that snow bit at the beginning bored my tits off the first time round so this time I am REALLY struggling to get through it, tried to fuck off into the open world early doors but they make u stay in the winter bit citing "rough weather" if you stray to far off the map and make u turn back

Waking Life

Quote from: ToneLa on February 06, 2019, 07:49:06 PM
I have yet to find a reason. A bit like donating the whole animal, it's meagre cash difference.

I did the treasure hunts early and got about six grand for those alone so money is no incentive. There's a fence trinket - from the legendary buck's antlers I think - that improves the quality one step though and it's worth going for that ASAP

Getting the Legend of the East satchel as soon as possible is amazing. Here you go Pearson, 46 steaks, you moaning cunt

Is all that grinding actually worth a jot though? Most of the challenges are arbitrary and tick box, and because it's sequential, theres no way you are going to achieve anything accidentally in a playthrough. The game isnt particularly difficult so the perks seem to offer little benefit. I started doing the legendary animals and it was just boring. That buck trinket hasn't made a massive difference to the hunting.

I hsd plsyed Yakuza 0 before this - similarly sprawling in terms of activity (although not size) - but the side activities were definitely more organic. Distractions are fine, but only if it doesn't feel like a chore. Cynically, it just seems to be added in as completionist bait, particularly since in-game clues (treasure for instance) are left extremely vague.

I will go back to the story again but a few hours hunting did dampen my enthusiasm for the world. It's just not that fun / rewarding.

ToneLa

Quote from: Waking Life on February 08, 2019, 09:41:43 AM
Is all that grinding actually worth a jot though? Most of the challenges are arbitrary and tick box, and because it's sequential, theres no way you are going to achieve anything accidentally in a playthrough. The game isnt particularly difficult so the perks seem to offer little benefit. I started doing the legendary animals and it was just boring. That buck trinket hasn't made a massive difference to the hunting.

I think it's down to how much you appreciate the core gameplay loop. Hunt, fetch, craft, fight. Many of the items, reinforced gear etc. Seems to stack. Why bother? Well, I enjoyed hunting, fishing etc. I wouldn't say it is worth the effort to grind without enjoyment, no way.

Loads of perks, loads of outfits later and my Arthur is practically invincible. Everything maxed out, weapons rarely need cleaning... But there's no danger, none, past a certain level.

I am noticing my play is now in short bursts. I find the clothing system genuinely amazing, when you have tons of clothes to play with you can really customise Arthur, it gets a sort of RPG streak.

But it's still a finite open world. The first red dead had regenerating bounties. Basically my game is Super Arthur, 99 Miracle Tonics, dead eye lasting ages, roaming around looking for fights.

I like what I've done, but I don't want to think about the time it took..

wooders1978

Finally got out of winter mode and out into the open world, fucking the story off and making my way in the world - it feels much more alive now then when I started exploring in the first play through - alright downed a few o driscolls

Blue Jam

ToneLa

Well the new Online mode will hide player blips until you're pretty close so that's something that might stop the way some people play it; like a serial killer simulator

What I wanted from GTA Online is like what I wanted from this and Rockstar still haven't done it - players, in a busy world not much different (and certainly not more sparse) than single-player. Players not automatically identified, indistinguishable from NPCs effectively unless via their actions.

Hank Venture

Done with Single Player. Dragged on a bit. Great game, never playing it again.

Blue Jam

Finally finished the main story last night, after much pissing about going for 100% completion before thinking "Poker? Orchids? Fuck this" and just rattling through the story. Got to about 78% in the end and I think I got the "good" ending but I lost mah highly-strung but swift black Arabian horse- goodnight, sweet Onion Terror.

Is the epilogue worth playing? Unlike a lot of people I didn't find the main story too much of a grind, but the epilogue feels that way, and going straight and being a goody-goody now doesn't appeal to me after hours of trying to get my honor up before going badass. Also can you get John to a barber and get that greasy hair sorted out? I had got Arthur looking so dapper, what a waste. There's also just too bloody much of this game, and I say that as someone who loves open-world games.

I never finished MGSV either, and I'm not sure I ever will. I need something less horsey next.

Thursday

boki

Rizla

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 24, 2019, 06:30:38 PM

Is the epilogue worth playing?

Yes, it has some good moments but it's overall a bit of a comedown after the main story, and there seems to be no point whatsoever in being good or bad at that point.

I feel I've rinsed this game for all it's worth - I mean I did all the ciggy cards, all the whale bones, dreamcatchers, nature quests, UFO, vampire, serial killer etc etc.  Rewarding and pointless in equal measure, a horrifying time-sink to be sure.  Now I've just got a few challenges to finish (break every breed of horse - great!) and there's some pass-agg bullshit going on at home involving my prized squirrel statue being hidden every time I leave the ranch. Finding it very hard to get into any other game, same thing happened after GTAV but the online wasn't as much of a let-down as this one. DLC plz...

Thursday

This is an interesting very long-form post-morterm on RDR2

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/22/18298277/red-dead-redemption-2-review-rdr2-story-design-criticism

It's by film crit hulk, who I do tend to find irritating, not a big fan of his writing, but the larger points he's getting at here are interesting (sort of like his assessment of RDR2)

I agree with so much of the article, it's almost like I wrote it and knew all the shit about design he knows. The game is fucking chronic. There are certain elements which work as you'd expect but mechanically, it's a cluster fuck. The UI and controls and sense of disconnect from the player character are among the very worst I can remember from any game, let alone one with the most absurd budget in history to get these basics right. For all the amazing shit they put in the game and the world, they utterly shit the bed in how they allow you to engage with and access that stuff.

I also think that the facial textures and animations are fucking ghastly, really takes me out of the game, in fact. LA Noire was better on the PS3.

kalowski

QuoteThe targeting system uses the left trigger, but the game uses the same mechanism for targeting someone to talk to them as it does to shoot them. The only difference is whether your gun is equipped beforehand. It would seem "simple" in this regard — you have to get your gun out if you want to shoot someone — but it's such an awkward mechanic to get used to at first, especially in the many out-of-town interactions where you don't know if you're going to be doing one or the other. And that's especially true in the heat of the moment.
What a shit article. 25 fucking paragraphs before he even gets to the game. And then we get the above. Yes, it's a problem when you first play it, but you soon get used to it. Tapping L1 puts your gun away in seconds. I can't be bothered to read the rest of this twat n