Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waking Life

Reflecting back, I certainly preferred RDR1 in that it was streamlined and actually played like a western. RDR2 adds a lot more depth to it all, but is too meandering for a game that is so dependent on story. If I had more patience or time, I might appreciate that a lot more (just spending hours lost in the world hunting down perfect boars), but it's just not integrated.

Anyway, six months on and I'm only on Chapter 5. Maybe I'll change my mind when I reach the end and feel it was worth it, but I'm not bowled over.

(sorry, didn't read the article in full).

The Culture Bunker

I bought it a couple of weeks ago - got to Chapter Three and it does feel like a bit of a grind. I was hoping for a little bit of "planning the heist" stuff that you got in GTAV: picking the strategy, who to bring along etc. Instead, there's been a couple of robberies in which I basically just did as I was told. That was disappointing.

Quote from: kalowski on April 22, 2019, 06:09:27 PM
What a shit article. 25 fucking paragraphs before he even gets to the game. And then we get the above. Yes, it's a problem when you first play it, but you soon get used to it. Tapping L1 puts your gun away in seconds. I can't be bothered to read the rest of this twat n

That's only one egregious fuck up of dozens mentioned in the article. Many inputs you can't get used to because they change depending on context - and not even consistently from one situation to another. The fucking radial menu is a carnival of AIDS. The player character movement is cunt tier. There are so many mechanical goofs it made me feel like I was having a stroke.

Timothy

Nothing wrong with the control scheme. Took a bit of getting use to it but after that it was fine. And the movement etc was perfect. Cant remember any input changing and the radial menu was fine.

Great game, shit article.

QDRPHNC

kalowski

Quote from: Timothy on April 22, 2019, 07:45:14 PM
Nothing wrong with the control scheme. Took a bit of getting use to it but after that it was fine. And the movement etc was perfect. Cant remember any input changing and the radial menu was fine.

Great game, shit article.
I agree. I don't have any problems with the game. Makes me think it's people who are the problem, not the game.

Thursday

This whole issue of "I soon got used to it" is addressed in the article. I don't blame anyone for not reading it, but there's not much point responding to vague gist of what you think it's about.

Timothy

Quote from: Thursday on April 22, 2019, 09:58:01 PM
This whole issue of "I soon got used to it" is addressed in the article. I don't blame anyone for not reading it, but there's not much point responding to vague gist of what you think it's about.

Just reacted at some comments here. I found the control scheme good. Similar to GTA so had no issues with it.

Maybe gonna read the article later but not sure. Its a bit too long. Read a few paragraphs but dont agree with him.

If you havent finished be warned. There is no spoiler warning but the writer spoils the game.

Thursday

I didn't have massive issues with the shooting/talking to people confusion he seemed to, but lots of people, did which I think is worth noting and worth thinking about why so many people had issues and why Rockstar chose to make them the way they were, what it says about their confused ideas on realism and immersion.

Ferris

Reading through the last couple pages to get back up to speed and saw this:

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2019, 11:27:29 PM
This was good (not as great as I'd hoped) and still not ahead of Skyrim for me. Will give it a replay in the next month or so and spend more time mucking around. First playthrough I raced through the story and sort of regret that now. I just wanted to know how it ended

I have no memory of posting this (presumably I was insanely sleep-deprived), but considering it was 5 days after my son was born, attempting a 'leisurely' replay of the entirety of RDR2 "in the next month" is probably one of the funniest and most misguided things I've ever said.

I was right about it not being as good as Skyrim though.

Chollis

I've got some downtime and I've got a choice of either picking up RDR2 or Witcher 3 which I both stopped playing ages ago. Got about 1/3 through both. Can't decide, what ya reckon

Slide both discs down a grid and have a hundred hours of quality time with your pet

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on April 23, 2019, 07:29:58 PM
I've got some downtime and I've got a choice of either picking up RDR2 or Witcher 3 which I both stopped playing ages ago. Got about 1/3 through both. Can't decide, what ya reckon

Skyrim. Or play RDR1 which is easily twice the fun and takes a quarter of the time.

Timothy

What do you fancy more? Being a cowboy in a realistic beautiful but slow world? Or do you want to spend your time enjoying great mini stories and one amazing huge story in a fantasy setting? Sword fights or guns? Werewolves or cowboys?

I would advice to play RDR 2 first. Its slower then the Witcher. Enjoy the realism and the fantasy world of the Witcher after that.

Both games are amazing and worth your time. But both indeed also needs a few good hours to get going and get you hooked.

St_Eddie

magval

I've had this since the day it came out and haven't played more than an hour of it.

I'm toying with just deleting it from my PS4. Can anyone convince me otherwise? I don't play games that often anymore and RDR2 seems like a big investment, time-wise.

I did love Red Dead Redemption (which I also struggled with at first before sinking completely into the following summer), but that was 9 odd years ago. I think I bought this out of loyalty.

Thursday

Dunno, I didn't finish it, but I feel like I'm glad I got some of the experiences I did out of this game,

On the other hand, sometimes it does feel worth fighting back against the hype culture, the feeling that it's important that you play a video game. The way people talk about it as if it'll challenge you/change the way you think, as if there's something really valuable to gained from this game is absolute bollocks. If you're really not feeling it, there's no need to push yourself.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: magval on April 27, 2019, 09:45:19 AM
I've had this since the day it came out and haven't played more than an hour of it.

I'm toying with just deleting it from my PS4. Can anyone convince me otherwise? I don't play games that often anymore and RDR2 seems like a big investment, time-wise.

I did love Red Dead Redemption (which I also struggled with at first before sinking completely into the following summer), but that was 9 odd years ago. I think I bought this out of loyalty.

You're pretty much exactly me, and I can tell you that it is worth it in the end.  The story picks up in Chapter 3 — to the point where you stop skipping cutscenes — but aside from that there's a lot of fun to be had in the world itself.  For me, it was discovering some of the more horror/folklore-oriented stuff lying about (giants, "night folk", serial killers etc.), but I'm sure there will be something in there to pique your interest too.

It is very good, but definitely a time sink.  I don't find time to play it anymore, but it was good for that week off I had.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just started playing this, but I'm having difficulty taking Arthur seriously, because he sounds like fucking Sling Blade.

"They turned me loose from a nervous hospital. Said I was well. Mmm hmm."

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Red Dead Online is free to play without PS Plus up till the 27th. It still isn't very good, but I've managed to scoop up most of the online trophies within the past few days.

QDRPHNC

kalowski

I'm now on the epilogue. Crazy section where I think I had to play 2 hours straight without being able to manually save!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've just finished the main story for the first time, and straight onto the epilogue. I'm now milking a cow's tit with the analogue sticks. I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed after the thrilling climax to the story. Have to dash, somebody wants me to shovel some shit.

kalowski

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 02, 2019, 11:35:43 PM
I've just finished the main story for the first time, and straight onto the epilogue. I'm now milking a cow's tit with the analogue sticks. I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed after the thrilling climax to the story. Have to dash, somebody wants me to shovel some shit.
Just wait till you get to fix the fence.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shit yeah, sorry everyone. In the epilogue you milk a cow. There's probably no point you playing this anymore if you're halfway through.

That is what killed it for me first time round, on my second play through now. Hopefully try and complete it this time.