Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't think I'd want to play it again. The futility of it all, plus tappy tappy button to make your horse move.

QDRPHNC

Frustrating. Because it is an incredible, beautiful world. Filled with tedious necessities.

Amazing first two hours, everything after that was peadwraith tier. Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuckin total bullshit aids life over burns victim vitamin deficient bifida boy

Hank Venture

It was way too long and way too convoluted in its mechanics for me to ever play it again.

Ferris

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 08, 2019, 12:15:26 AM
It was way too long and way too convoluted in its mechanics for me to ever play it again.

That was my immediate reaction upon finishing "well, I'm never playing that again!"

I couldn't count how many times I've played the first one through, it was a genuinely formative video game for me for a lot of reasons I won't go into here. I'll play RDR2 again, eventually, but christ knows when I'll have a free 70 hours knocking about.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I ended up with about 120 hours. I was doing far too much of the hunting. It's not something I'm usually into, but there was something addictive about collecting three star pelts and taking them to the trapper. Especially because he sold the only decent clothes in the game. The ones you could buy in town were shit.

Everything is so slow, kills me every time I fire it up. I never even made it past chapter 3, just so boring. Considering how amazing the environments look and the incredible lighting, the character models look like PS3 waxwork ghoul aids wraiths. Absolutely shithouse.

Cuellar

Tempted to fire it up again (likewise haven't touched it since finishing it months ago) just to play it like I played GTA when I was about 11 - just go mental, killing, robbing, horse a-rustling. Utter carnage.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm hoping that the number of people bothering to play online is a lot less than Rockstar were expecting/wanting. Increases the chance of them releasing some single player DLC. I think it's more or less accepted at this point that the reason they didn't release any for GTA5 was because the online was making them so much bank, so why bother?

kalowski

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2019, 02:23:01 PM
Tempted to fire it up again (likewise haven't touched it since finishing it months ago) just to play it like I played GTA when I was about 11 - just go mental, killing, robbing, horse a-rustling. Utter carnage.
That's what I think I'll do next time round.

Chollis

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 08, 2019, 05:43:48 AM
Everything is so slow, kills me every time I fire it up. I never even made it past chapter 3, just so boring.

Same.

Cuellar

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

No. You can skin as many endangered species as you like, but you can't skin a man, a horse, a dog or a cat. If there's a PC version that'd be the first mod to install.

The Culture Bunker

I got as far as the bit when you first start messing around in the city that's supposed to be New Orleans (I guess) and just got bored of it all. Trying to think if it's because it's not as good at the original (which I finished) or I've just grown beyond the Rockstar model now.

Cuellar

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2019, 02:23:01 PM

Started doing this last night, and forgot about the interminable intro bit in the snow. Eventually got through it, robbed the medicine shop in Valentine and then stole a train and drove it into St Denis, beat up the eugenics guy, got a haircut and a bath then got bored again.

Dunno how long I'll last doing this. How can you make cash if you're wanted everywhere?

Thursday

It's  interesting, people often  talk about kojima needing an editor, but it's  far more true of the Houser's and the other Rockstar leads.

Thursday

Or not even an editor, so much as someone who knows how to design fun game mechanics.

bgmnts

I mean, going around shooting loads of cunts, as the law are chasing you, is about as fun as it gets no?

Thursday

It could be in a game where the shooting is actually fun and interesting enough to sustain 100 or even just 20 hours.

bgmnts

Fair enough, I quite like it. But then i'm a little bit of a fan of the setting and time period so I'm looking at it a little biased.

I just chuck on my Marty Robbins playlist and start some trouble and run from the law for a while, see what carnage I can create.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 08, 2019, 09:39:09 PM
No. You can skin as many endangered species as you like, but you can't skin a man, a horse, a dog or a cat. If there's a PC version that'd be the first mod to install.

I'd just want more baddies spawned

I mean, I played it again n before I even left the first area I boxed off the nigh-impossible Satchel of the East or whatever it is and most of the legendary beasties

So I'm ridin round trying not to advance the plot but I've seen most of the "seen it once, seen it a million times" stuff from the first play through

Tell you what these fucks need. Proper emergent gameplay. Like Operation Flashpoint back in the day. Don't corral missions to their own zone. Make em happen in the seamless world, allow for fuck ups.

Rockstar love this don't they... build a perfect open world but then use last gen mission design that don't take advantage of it

The actual shooting mechanics feel completely separate from the character movement. It's literally just moving a dot around the screen. Total shit for shit for brains shit for brains.

bgmnts

I mean that's how shooting has been in gaming since shooting was invented, the reticule on the screen represents where the bullet goes.

Except Metro on the hardest difficulty which awesome comrades!

Thursday

Their mission design is still built upon the template set up in GTA 3. There's things they've built on it, but the foundation is still the same. The gunplay is 3rd person cover shooter lite. It's fine, serviceable, but they don't have to make it better because the core world building is good and that's enough for people.

When it's at its best, though, you feel a connection between the character and the reticule. It's not totally divorced from the character's movement. Things like weight and physicality can be conveyed and are in better games. Something like Vanquish feels like the character is shooting and the dot is a guide for the player, rather than the entire focus. You might well disagree but that's how I feel about it.

Red Dead is, like GTA, a game where the description of what is happening is really exciting and the emergent elements sound chaotic and intelligent but the mechanical experience of playing is incredibly simplistic and largely very predictable. It's an experience that you can really fill in with your imagination, which I think is a good thing in theory, but that's basically all there is to it, which I find a bit shit in practice.

Thursday

There's so many shooting games, some are brilliant, some are shit despite the fact that you're ostensibly just moving a dot around a screen. Obviously it's not easy to make it good, but when it's what you actually do most of the time and Rockstar have more money and praise than God, I feel like it could be better.

Imagine a Platinum combat system in a Rockstar open world with FROM lore and a Cave bullet hell scoring system and Gal Gun NPCs and wanking mini game

bgmnts

I mean, it goes for a more realistic game design, you're not flying all over the screen with pin point accuracy, you're slowly moving around with slow guns.

Wouldn't a massive, living, breathing open world and mental, fast Platinum style gun play be an even bigger clash?

Yeah I don't want it, just saying imagine that hahaha

wooders1978

Had another pop at the online version last night - gash