Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Hehehehe... seriously, there's a bit where you shoo some people away from a window, and then get prompted to look inside, and then get docked a bit of honor even though you had no idea what was going on in there. That felt a bit unfair, mah Arthur wuz a gentleman.

Ferris

Just booted up a new game, and I have to say it is fun. The first time through I found all his snow business a chore because I was impatient to hear the story - now I'm happy to luxuriate in the atmosphere and I'm enjoying it all a lot more as a result.

I'm still fucking about in the mountains with the snow and that, but I'm not jonesing to get to the next chapter. The game will happen when it happens.

Goddamn O'Driscolls.

H-O-W-L

I've just gotten to Valentine. Quite a fun dowdy little cowboy game.

Utter Shit

I did the mission where you [TEMPORARILY REDACTED] last night. Properly exhilarating. At its best this game is so good.

EDIT: HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO HIDDEN TEXT FOR SPOILERS ON HERE NOWADAYS?

EDIT AGAIN: Also, how the hell do you back up a wagon? Twice yesterday I crashed my wagon into a fence and, with no obvious way of backing up, I became stuck and had to load the story up from an earlier save point.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 18, 2019, 10:06:51 AM
I did the mission where you [TEMPORARILY REDACTED] last night. Properly exhilarating.

I love the [TEMPORARILY REDACTED] mission!  It's so [TEMPORARILY REDACTED].

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 18, 2019, 10:06:51 AM
Also, how the hell do you back up a wagon? Twice yesterday I crashed my wagon into a fence and, with no obvious way of backing up, I became stuck and had to load the story up from an earlier save point.

I think on PS4 it's L2.

Noddy Tomkey

H-O-W-L

Pumped 14 hours into this last night. Up to 25 total now. Just got to Chapter 3. Fucking great.

H-O-W-L

Looking back in the thread, did the controls really change constantly on consoles? Because on PC they remain 100% consistent no matter what I'm doing. E to grab someone and choke their lights out, or climb your hoss. R to be nice, F to be a prickend, that sorta thing.

EDIT:

Actually looking back it looks like us throbbing-brain PC-playing geniuses bested you all once again, since I don't actually have to tap Shift to make my horsey go cloppity clop! Haha! I only had to wait a year for a shit port I had to manually edit config files to get running without awful visuals! Suck it, poindexters!

Chollis

trying to get into this again, i don't know why i can't. i should love it. i'm 32% through, camped outside Rhodes, is it possible this could still click? looks incredible obviously but i find myself getting bored very quickly. the missions all seem very one note. besides deadeye, which is fun, the combat is dull. left trigger lock, right trigger shoot, next target. i might try with the auto aim turned off actually, though that seems a bit too hard.

Fronty Prongs

Quote from: Chollis on January 06, 2020, 12:13:43 PM
trying to get into this again, i don't know why i can't. i should love it. i'm 32% through, camped outside Rhodes, is it possible this could still click? looks incredible obviously but i find myself getting bored very quickly. the missions all seem very one note. besides deadeye, which is fun, the combat is dull. left trigger lock, right trigger shoot, next target. i might try with the auto aim turned off actually, though that seems a bit too hard.

I felt like the story was plodding a bit around then too. It does pick up soon after, well worth it.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Chollis on January 06, 2020, 12:13:43 PM

As a PC player I can't imagine playing this with auto-aim, the spasmic, twitchy nature of the aiming makes it so enjoyably "realistic" if you'll forgive the cuntish use of the term. Most of these Aul' Tahm Gun Fights were basically two horrifically inaccurate bastards blasting wildly at each other with un-rifled weaponry and early cartridges that were still being refined in design and propellant, so it really captures that when you're playing with manual aiming. It gives the aimless hip-fire fan mode a legitimate reason to exist outside of looking cool, and it makes Dead-Eye a legitimately useful tool as opposed to just a flashier way of doming a cunt with precise accuracy.

It reminds me of Fistful of Frags, a fantastic (and free) Half-Life 2 mod that used a similar doctrine of heavily inaccurate weapons that required careful shots or spam tactics.

Marner and Me

I'm on my 2nd play through on this, on the Epilogue, just didn't realise how big this map was (first play through gave up after doing a mission where I swept up shit).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what R* do with GTA6. Would love to see a Marston relative or something in it. However I hope they do concentrate on the story and not just rush it and pile out online.

Blue Jam

Just got GTA V on Game Pass and struggling to get into it tbh. I think it's because I find riding a horse much easier than driving a car.

I can't do either in real life, mind.

Bently Sheds

I've tried playing all the GTA variants after Vice City and just couldn't get on with them. Grabbed GTA5 second hand for £15 and have hardly played it. I just cannot get into them at all. Too arch for me.

bgmnts

Rockstar's actual missions are shit because they dont use the huuuuuuge open, living, breathing worlds to its advantage. Its linear, point a to point b stuff. Thats why its a struggle for me.

Blue Jam

The missions are boring as fuck. What, I'm supposed to break loads of traffic laws and kill a load of pedestrians just to recover a sodding bike? Fuck that, especially as I never wanted to be Employee Of The Month anyway.

H-O-W-L

I think RDR2 gets a good, solid pass for this because you are playing as BASTARD COWBOY at the start, and the game pushes you through the plot to consciously be better rather than going "OK, you've had fun slaughtering hundreds of civilians and shitting in grannies' bonnets, now go play bowling with your fat paedophile cousin" like GTA does. The missions tend to have you killing an entire Eastern Seaboard's worth of people, then when you're done you go back to collecting daffodils for your flower-pressing collection and politely skinning animals to make fancy hats.

Doesn't feel like GTAV where there is literally absolutely no reason for Franklin not to just go "ah, to fuck with this" and go work in a book shop instead of rolling around with two self-confessed cyclepaths who have straight up said they may betray and kill him at any point. ORFER MORGUHN really can't just waddle off into the horizon and go do a job of work, at least not early on. He legitimately is one of the breadwinners of his big weird dysfunctional family at the start.

H-O-W-L

It also made missions like the one where you go fishing with Jack "WORK YA DAMN NAG" Marston and the one where you nip out for a chekky laqer with ynneL all the better.

Lost Oliver

I got bit by a badger and now I'm dying of TB. I think that's such a wonderful way for someone to go as it's true to life. Man.

Lost Oliver

Just found out I got through beating someone up. Was just a massive coincidence that the trip to the doctors coincided with the badger bite. Just goes to show how realistic i thought this game was though.

Currently at 63% I think. Last mish was rescuing Eagles Flies from a fort. Praying that Arthur survives.

Rizla

On my 3rd playthrough now, noticed the badger bite this time too :-(

I was teaching the widow up north to hunt last night, when I got mauled to death by a cougar whilst she stood by and did FA. So when I came back, after completing the mission I walked around her cabin blasting bullets into it, smashing all the windows and starting a small fire with an oil lamp, before burning the cross on her husband's grave and pumping shotgun shells into it.

Lost Oliver

Utter Shit

Latest instalment of "Utter Shit is bad at RDR2".

Played my first ever bit of RDR2 online the other day. The first mission, before you even get online, gets you to find a horse, ride it to the train station and then get on a train to some camp in the arse-end of nowhere. I found a horse and rode it to the station. Jumped off to go and buy a ticket from the office. Came back just in time to see the train pulling into the station and run over the horse, which I had inadvertently left on the tracks.

Blue Jam

Heheheheh... Early in the campaign I dismounted my first horse a bit too near a campfire, then watched as the dumb beast caught fire and then instead of running away and panicking it just stood there with a beatific look on its stupid horse face as it burned to death.

Ferris

You don't see "beatific" used a lot these days do you?

Cuellar

Went absolutely apeshit on the inbred hick inhabitants of 'Butcher's Creek', some shanty town in Roanoke Ridge, because they weren't very polite. Discovered you can kick a chicken to death, which is brilliant fun. This 'town' also had loads of goats that kept running at me and butting me over, so I kicked fuck out of them too. And their shitty mangy dog.

My honour took a HUGE beating from my massacre, so I've been trying to help folks out. One guy, in the swamps outside Saint Denis, fell off his horse and needed taking to the doctor, so I sling him on back (jettisoning my perfect alligator skin I might add) and ride hard. Just before we reach Doc, I 'collide' with another horse slinging the poor dying cunt off and into a wall, which apparently makes me guilty of murder! Shot to fuck by the police AND I've lost my alligator skin.

Sick of this game again

Cuellar

Also someone pickpocketed me in Saint Denis and I chased him down and lassoed him, hogtied him, but then when I pick him up suddenly I'm 'kidnapping' and surrounded by fuzz.

Screw this