Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Spoiler alert
Yeah, he's definitely dying :(

I get the sense I'm coming to the end of the story now and that looks like it's where it's going, so I went out and decked Arthur out in the absolute finest clothing I could buy, sneaking into Saint Denis when I'm wanted dead or alive to get him some dashing garments and a good haircut. If it's his time to go I want him to go in style.
[close]

kalowski

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 22, 2020, 12:58:36 PM
Spoiler alert

I get the sense I'm coming to the end of the story now and that looks like it's where it's going, so I went out and decked Arthur out in the absolute finest clothing I could buy, sneaking into Saint Denis when I'm wanted dead or alive to get him some dashing garments and a good haircut. If it's his time to go I want him to go in style.
[close]
If I remember correctly the end took longer than I expected. Lots of interesting missions to come (depending where you are up to).

Noodle Lizard

Spoiler alert

[close]

Try and find the widow stranger in the woods up near Annesburg and try to do those missions before you go (I think there are 3 in total, whenever a blip appears in her area). I found that narratively very satisfying in the final chapter.

Rizla

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 22, 2020, 06:03:31 PM
Try and find the widow stranger in the woods up near Annesburg and try to do those missions before you go (I think there are 3 in total, whenever a blip appears in her area). I found that narratively very satisfying in the final chapter.

What's satisfying is when you dump as many animal carcasses  as you can find on her husband's grave before firing flaming arrows at her house and blasting away at her front door with a shotgun.

I think it was the way she pronounced "naivete".

bgmnts

On reply, I did come to realise just how much I liked Arthur Morgan as a character. Might be one of Rockstar's best.

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on September 22, 2020, 06:26:19 PM
On reply, I did come to realise just how much I liked Arthur Morgan as a character. Might be one of Rockstar's best.

Arthur
Spoiler alert
was a good man.
[close]

JamesTC

Spoiler alert

[close]

Hope you've enough money left over to buy your horse something nice. Can't be spending all that money on Arthur and leaving the horse without a nice new saddle.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on September 22, 2020, 06:26:19 PM

Yep. On my first playthrough, I was behaving as I would in any Rockstar game (i.e. like a fucking madman) and wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to the story because Rockstar games have never wowed me in that regard. But once I got somewhere into Chapter 3 I began to get invested in Arthur as a character and it forced me to want to change my playstyle even in my "free time", which is quite a feat. Most of the other characters in your camp are quite good too; Sean, Hosea, Lenny, Charles and Dutch has his moments. Micah's the only real exception, too cartoonish a villain from the get-go. I don't think they ever really justified why nobody had blown fuck out of his head and left him in a swamp somewhere.

On my second playthrough, I did everything "right" and ended with full honour. The only bastard part is that apparently my horse which I'd had since the beginning and was fully bonded with apparently died offscreen during the penultimate mission, so I missed out on getting the full perfect ending.

kalowski

Quote from: JamesTC on September 22, 2020, 06:55:32 PM
Hope you've enough money left over to buy your horse something nice. Can't be spending all that money on Arthur and leaving the horse without a nice new saddle.
This second go through I'm up to $6500 in my pockets. Decked out my horse Captain Sparkles with the finest trimmed mohican mane, neat tail, new saddlebags, saddle and little duck handle. Got a shotgun the other day and pimped it up beyond belief. (for the early 20th century)

beanheadmcginty

The rude word filter in this wouldn't let me name my horse "Osama". Bit racist innit? I'm sure there's loads of lovely Osamas about.

JamesTC

kalowski

My daughter named my horse Captain Sparkles. Previous horses include The Falcon and Lady Beaver.

Ferris

All horses are nothing in front of HOOVES aka the best ever horse.

Utter Shit

Did you all stick with your original horse? I see all these enormous beasts that, based on GTA5, I can only assume are able to zoom across the sky getting you to the next town in 20 seconds...but I can't give up the relationship I have with my tiny little entry-level horse Luka. Every time I send her flying into a tree or over a ridge I'm terrified she is going to die. Touch wood she has survived every scrape so far.

beanheadmcginty

By Chapter 5 I caved in and bought an Arabian (calledHairy Clopper), and his massive stamina levels do make a heck of a difference. I kept my first (Findus Lasagne) in the stable though and still pay her a visit every once in a while.

Utter Shit

Hmm, maybe I could retire her then.

Did you lot have a shitload of cash by the end? I think I've been too generous to the camp, I've only got about $300 left. Although I have barely knocked off any stagecoaches other than the ones that are part of the main storyline.

Spoiler alert
Maybe it's just me barely ever playing story games, but the characterisation is fantastic IMO. Dutch's gradual descent from inspiring leader to reckless nutter is played perfectly.

I'm excited to play through again at some point and see if Arthur's illness is hinted at earlier than when I first noticed it, as it does feel just slightly rushed. He's gone from seemingly fit and healthy to visibly very ill in quite a short time in-game.
[close]

Ferris

I donated about 50p and an old potato to the camp.

Fuck 'em. I'm going gambling.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 23, 2020, 03:10:52 PMDid you lot have a shitload of cash by the end? I think I've been too generous to the camp, I've only got about $300 left. Although I have barely knocked off any stagecoaches other than the ones that are part of the main storyline.

At your point in the game, you should have a fair amount of money to play with. If you haven't already, check your inventory and sell some valuables - you should've gotten a gold bar or two from one of the missions which is a cheeky $500 in your pocket. And don't donate money to the camp unless it's specifically for an upgrade or provisions, there's no benefit to it other than a little honor boost.

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 23, 2020, 03:10:52 PMI'm excited to play through again at some point and see if Arthur's illness is hinted at earlier than when I first noticed it, as it does feel just slightly rushed. He's gone from seemingly fit and healthy to visibly very ill in quite a short time in-game.[/spoiler]

Spoiler alert
There are some hints; he starts developing cough sometime in Chapter III and I think he appears winded after a few missions before he gets diagnosed. On my first playthrough, I think I remember seeing his condition described as "Sick" in my player stats sometime before that too, but I initially chalked it down to some bad fish or something. I think the idea is that getting shipwrecked and having a rough go on it on that island made the disease progress faster, though I don't know if that's medically accurate. But yeah, it's a hard thing for them to incorporate without severely hampering people's fun playing the thing, so even once he's diagnosed and appears to be wasting away he's still practically superhuman.
[close]

Utter Shit

Sounds like I have been playing the game wrong the whole time money-wise haha, I've consistently given the camp more or less everything bar what I needed for ammo and provisions.

I have only got less than half of the animals in my compendium as well, fuck knows where all the other ones are. I still find the odd one here and there but I haven't seen an interesting big one since I got to the swamps and saw the big alligators.

kalowski

Spoiler alert
Second time round it was so obvious when I caught the illness. I assume you can't procede until you do that particular mission.
[close]

kalowski

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 23, 2020, 07:07:37 PM
Sounds like I have been playing the game wrong the whole time money-wise haha, I've consistently given the camp more or less everything bar what I needed for ammo and provisions.

I have only got less than half of the animals in my compendium as well, fuck knows where all the other ones are. I still find the odd one here and there but I haven't seen an interesting big one since I got to the swamps and saw the big alligators.
Got any alligator eggs?
Or the tricorn hat?
Or civil war hat and knife?
Or legendary beaver.
Or rhe dead woman in the brothel?

The game has so many dark corners!

kalowski

Ferris

Must play this again.

End game spoilers:
Spoiler alert
I spent the whole game desperate to get back into the map from RDR1 for the nostalgia kick as it's my favourite ever game I think, and it's basically desolate space which was a massive disappointment and (as it was my last few hours of gameplay really) negatively coloured my memory of the game as a whole. Shame. I almost wish they hadn't included it as it feels so thinly sketched out, when the original was so brilliant and packed full of stuff.
[close]

The Roofdog

That part of the map
Spoiler alert
did feel really empty
[close]
, having never played RDR1 I assume they wanted to keep
Spoiler alert
the exact same map? But it should've been about half the area to feel worthwhile
[close]

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2020, 08:14:36 PM
Must play this again.

End game spoilers:
Spoiler alert
I spent the whole game desperate to get back into the map from RDR1 for the nostalgia kick as it's my favourite ever game I think, and it's basically desolate space which was a massive disappointment and (as it was my last few hours of gameplay really) negatively coloured my memory of the game as a whole. Shame. I almost wish they hadn't included it as it feels so thinly sketched out, when the original was so brilliant and packed full of stuff.
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Spoiler alert
There is some stuff going on in New Austin. I think Tumbleweed has a whole plot with a Joe Arpaio-type sheriff, although I fucked him off with a shotgun to the head before letting it play out too much.
[close]

Ferris

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 24, 2020, 02:22:33 AM
Spoiler alert
There is some stuff going on in New Austin. I think Tumbleweed has a whole plot with a Joe Arpaio-type sheriff, although I fucked him off with a shotgun to the head before letting it play out too much.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Literally 2 or 3 missions in an area that previously gave an entire storyline's worth of stuff? It feels 99% empty which is a shame compared to how loved-in it felt for RDR1
[close]

H-O-W-L

Endgame spoiler:
Spoiler alert
There is unused dialogue for Sick Arthur being there so I think they just ran out of time to integrate it sadly. Shame they'll never DLC it either.
[close]

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 23, 2020, 06:30:19 PM
Spoiler alert
There are some hints; he starts developing cough sometime in Chapter III and I think he appears winded after a few missions before he gets diagnosed. On my first playthrough, I think I remember seeing his condition described as "Sick" in my player stats sometime before that too, but I initially chalked it down to some bad fish or something. I think the idea is that getting shipwrecked and having a rough go on it on that island made the disease progress faster, though I don't know if that's medically accurate. But yeah, it's a hard thing for them to incorporate without severely hampering people's fun playing the thing, so even once he's diagnosed and appears to be wasting away he's still practically superhuman.
[close]

Spoiler alert
It is medically accurate. Tuberculosis progression is increased by extreme physical strain and very damp weather and Guarma was both for Arthur. That and he half-drowned at least twice.
[close]

Utter Shit

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler alert
Stupid dead old bastard broke my heart. I knew it was coming but it still hurt. Luckily I was just about in the black honour-wise, so I got the ending I was hoping for and expecting. If I'd have got the negative honour ending I don't think I could have handled it.

From the point it became clear that he was going to die, everything I did had a horrible sadness about it. Which I suppose is obvious, but I've never felt like that about a game before. Knowing that whatever I did from that point on wasn't going to change Arthur's outcome, and the best I could hope for was that he would find some peace (getting John, Abigail and Jack out alive) and die somewhere noble. So I suppose it was the happiest ending I could have hoped for, but it was still horrible.

I've only just started the prologue - I didn't actually want to start it at all, but I wanted to make sure I had the game saved before I switched off. Don't have much motivation to turn it back on at the moment, it won't feel right playing as someone other than my man Arthur.
[close]

Also, I don't know if I accidentally skipped a cut scene or what, but for the last few missions of the main story, I didn't have my horse any more. I'm pretty sure I didn't get her killed during gameplay, but suddenly I was stuck with a completely different one. So she didn't get a happy ending either.

Anyone know roughly how long the epilogue is? I want to start the game afresh and really explore the whole game, find every animal etc.