Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

I really love how RDR2's art style is simultaneously very stylized while also retaining a level of realism. I think it'll retain its visual sharpness for a solid decade or more at this point, by virtue of being so stylized.

Utter Shit

The depth to this game is insane. For the past week I've done nothing but hunting for perfect pelts to tart up our camp, probably 10 hours or so in total, and it hasn't got boring for even a moment. Anyone recommend any other small little tasks and side-quests you can get yourself into?

Also, I got mugged for $1300 in Saint-Denis and was absolutely fuming, especially as after the cut scene of them knocking me out there was nothing else, just me waking up somewhere down a load of money with no apparent way to get it back. But I went back to the same spot later, and there they were again. Got my money back, and long story short the three robbers no longer have heads or limbs.

Gambrinus

I quite enjoyed fishing once I'd changed the controls. Try catching all the legendary fish? I think you need to meet the fisherman writer first. He hangs out by Flat Iron lake a couple of minutes ride from the Chapter 3 camp.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

my brother and I are both dipping in and out of this sharing a save, was watching him play and
Spoiler alert
I have no idea how neither of us had heard a thing about Guarma until we ended up there!! amazing surprise, looks stunning! we thought he was just going to slope off along the beach and the credits would roll
[close]

Utter Shit

Chapter 5 spoilers ahead...

Spoiler alert
Why the fuck did they give you so little time to explore Guarma? It must have taken so much time to create this completely separate world, and they don't even give you much chance to have a look around, much less give you things to do there. I don't even mean loads of missions and random events, just a few more interesting animals and birds to find etc. It's such a beautifully realised environment and it's a real shame that it's so under-utilised.
[close]

Ferris

Spoiler alert
Completely agree. The idea (I think?) is that you spend the time there feeling hunted and powerless which means you're unable to explore, but ultimately it just feels like a waste. There were rumours of a planned ferry service from Saint Denis to the island that opens up later in the game but it was abandoned for whatever reason.
[close]

Utter Shit

Spoiler alert
Yeah that makes sense from a narrative POV, but why not offer a way of returning there as John in the epilogue? Or if you wanted it to fit into the existing story, have them land on the island in the same way but allow you to explore as you work out where you are? I'm sure there are good reasons why they did things the way they did, it's just a shame (as someone who has spent hundreds of hours in the main world) that you get a glimpse of this beautiful, different environment but are smacked into the action so quickly that you don't get any opportunity to properly experience it.
[close]

I've loved this game so much but have really torn the arse out of it over the past few years - what game would you recommend for someone who wants to experience something similar...good graphics and a detailed, rich open world. Ideally not sci-fi or fantasy but maybe that is something I need to get over - I certainly didn't expect to be as attached to a cowboy game as I ended up being. I've read that RDR2 really is the pinnacle if that's the sort of game that you want, but is there anything close? I bought that Watch Dogs London game but it just felt so barren and lifeless by comparison.

The Roofdog

Witcher 3 is the only one that comes close for me but it's fantasy obviously.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 21, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
what game would you recommend for someone who wants to experience something similar...good graphics and a detailed, rich open world.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 21, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
Spoiler alert
Yeah that makes sense from a narrative POV, but why not offer a way of returning there as John in the epilogue? Or if you wanted it to fit into the existing story, have them land on the island in the same way but allow you to explore as you work out where you are? I'm sure there are good reasons why they did things the way they did, it's just a shame (as someone who has spent hundreds of hours in the main world) that you get a glimpse of this beautiful, different environment but are smacked into the action so quickly that you don't get any opportunity to properly experience it.
[close]

I've loved this game so much but have really torn the arse out of it over the past few years - what game would you recommend for someone who wants to experience something similar...good graphics and a detailed, rich open world. Ideally not sci-fi or fantasy but maybe that is something I need to get over - I certainly didn't expect to be as attached to a cowboy game as I ended up being. I've read that RDR2 really is the pinnacle if that's the sort of game that you want, but is there anything close? I bought that Watch Dogs London game but it just felt so barren and lifeless by comparison.

Re: the first part
Spoiler alert
it isn't that big, it just feels huge. It's a bit of a swizz really, but it works and feels huge an unexplored because the game doesn't give you the opportunity to explore it. It was also probably going to be a map for some online stuff so they held it back in story mode, but online never took off so now it's just a bit of a cul de sac. You can get there via glitch if you want to explore it, search on YouTube and you can make your way there and muck about as much as you like
[close]

Second bit - Skyrim. It's brilliant, and feels like a real, lived-in world. I'm still finding new characters and places in it after nearly 10 years. You can dramatically upgrade the graphics if you want via mods, but I think the base game is just fine.

Quote from: The Roofdog on July 21, 2021, 01:24:18 PM
Witcher 3 is the only one that comes close for me but it's fantasy obviously.

I also used to be a fantasy hater, but have fallen in love with Witcher 3 since getting it on the Switch and have sunk so many hours into doing everything I can. Even hanging out in the pubs and playing cards with people is oddly nice and there are some great and varied quests.

mobias

Just gone back to playing RDR2 since it got the Nvidia DLSS update last week on PC. Basically it means that if you've got an RTX3080 or 3090 graphics card you can theoretically play it at 120FPS. I think you do need a 120Hz monitor to really appreciate it properly though. Anyway I say theoretically because I've got an RTX3080 and the highest I could get the FPS is 90, and I've only got a 60hz monitor so there was a ton of screen tearing.

There's rumours that RDR2 is going to get a rerelease with ray tracing and other eye candy. I guess similar to the GTAV rerelease thats coming out in November.

Utter Shit

Cheers for the advice everyone - I had a look at the games recommended and I'm going to pick up The Witcher 3 as it's dirt cheap so if I don't get into it (which I anticipate being the case) then no harm done. If I enjoy it then I'll get the Assassin's Creed and Skyrim games. Had a look at Uncharted 4 as well, but it doesn't seem to be open world? And are there any more open world games on the horizon, either on PS4 or PS5?

Chedney Honks

Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn
Days Gone

Chollis

AC: Odyssey
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn

which one of these should i buy? just had a peek on YouTube and they all look beautiful

i'm in the same boat as Utter Shit in that I really want a rich, immersive, open-world game to get stuck into, but i've 'pleted Witcher 3.
RDR2, Witcher 3 and Skyrim my favourite games of this type.

H-O-W-L

I replayed Fallout 1 and I'm halfway through Fallout 2. If you're able to get over the hump of "eurr, it's old!" and grab the fan patches (specifically I recommend Fallout Et Tu for FO1) to make it run buttery smooth on modern hardware you'll have a great time IMO. I thought I wouldn't be very immersed or get interested and I would ditch it as I have many times when trying to replay but it just snatched me this time. This is coming off the back of my 2nd RDR2 run.

Fallout 1 is one of my favourites of all time, they really nailed the world and as much as I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas I don't find it as immersive for some reason. The only thing that fucked me off is the time limit that means the days are constantly ticking down when all i wanted to do was explore everywhere in my own time.

H-O-W-L

If your game's patched then getting the water chip is the only time limit. You can do it in the first 10 or so days if you just rush Necropolis.

Dyl Spinks

I've never played this game (although I did buy it for my 19 year-old son), and I've got to say, the music is ace (Lanois, who I've always loved).

Do Lanois's contributions feature prominently/regularly in the gameplay?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on July 27, 2021, 10:09:08 AM
I've never played this game (although I did buy it for my 19 year-old son), and I've got to say, the music is ace (Lanois, who I've always loved).

Do Lanois's contributions feature prominently/regularly in the gameplay?

Yes. A heartbreakingly effective moment uses one of his songs to great effect, to the point that it tears me up even to think about it.

Rizla

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 27, 2021, 09:36:25 PM
Yes. A heartbreakingly effective moment uses one of his songs to great effect, to the point that it tears me up even to think about it.

Gluey Lewis :-(

Utter Shit

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 27, 2021, 09:36:25 PM

When is this?

Spoiler alert
The one that immediately springs to mind is his composition of the D'Angelo song when Arthur is travelling back to the camp from Guarma? That is so beautifully done - just leaves you to your thoughts with the song rather than spoon-feeding you emotions
[close]

Rizla

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 28, 2021, 01:19:53 PM
When is this?

I assumed it was this
Spoiler alert
after you send the girls off and the horse dies - I can't quite remember how it happens actually, I couldn't bear to go through it again on subsequent playthroughs. Same with Jimmy, the aliens and "Shine a light" in GTAV, it was such a lovely moment the first time I didn't want to sully it with a repeat, if that makes sense...
[close]

EDIT

Also, has anyone seen this? It's incredible.

Mobius

Quote from: Rizla on July 28, 2021, 10:27:50 PM
Also, has anyone seen this? It's incredible.

I knew what this was going to be before even clicking it and yes it rules!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 28, 2021, 01:19:53 PM
When is this?

Spoiler alert
The one that immediately springs to mind is his composition of the D'Angelo song when Arthur is travelling back to the camp from Guarma? That is so beautifully done - just leaves you to your thoughts with the song rather than spoon-feeding you emotions
[close]

It's actually
Spoiler alert
when Arthur takes his last ride. If you have high honor, it plays the full version of Lanois' "That's The Way It Is", whereas if you have medium or low honor it only plays the chorus.

"There is a good man within you, but he is wresslin' with a giant."
"Thank you, brother. There ain't enough kindness in the world, that's for sure."
[close]

Blue Jam

Utter Shit

Three years later and I'm still making idiotic mistakes that translate into very funny in-game moments.

I wandered into the Braithwaite estate
Spoiler alert
(post-fire)
[close]
and some arsehole started shooting at me...I'm trying to boost my honour so rather than kill him I decided to tie him up.

Having done that, he kept gobbing off at me so I had a change of heart and decided an extremely painful and violent death would be the better choice. As I finalised my plans I antagonised him a bit as punishment for being mouthy.

I was feeling very pleased with myself as I readied my fire bottle and launched it at him as he lay there helpless on the floor...only I didn't step back far enough away, and the bottle exploded all over me. Both dead. Not so smug now, hey.

bgmnts

Thinking about redownloading the online but last time I tried it was a huge empty space.

Has it gotten better?

letsgobrian

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2021, 11:01:10 PM
Thinking about redownloading the online but last time I tried it was a huge empty space.

Has it gotten better?

That bug is long fixed. There are still other bugs, but nothing major like no animals right now.

They just added Call To Arms, a survival mode, which is one of strongest additions to online they have done.