Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I feel like the whole looking after a series of bases mechanic is going to feel like a Fallout 4-style nuisance.

I don't think anyone is asking for Uzis, as opposed to non-shit melee, some new motion capture animation rather than this PS3 stale baked crap and non-Waxwork Renee faces.

mobias

Quote from: New Jack on August 10, 2018, 03:18:05 PM

I doubt I'll touch online if its anything like GTAV though.

Its nothing like GTA Online. Its an evolution of RDR1 online thankfully. No shark cards or any of that crap.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Just an old timey sack with a dollar sign on it?

mobias

From what I can gather they want to make money from it post release in the same way they did with RDR1 and GTAIV - traditional episodic DLC. Suits me. I don't mind paying for stuff as long as its worth while. I'd gladly pay for another cowboy zombies DLC.   

QDRPHNC

Kotaku spends 2 hours with RDR2.

Overall sounds positive. Only thing in there that made me worry is that they've introduced the need to eat, similar to GTA:SA. Eat too much, you get fat and slow. Too little, thinner and weaker.

Interesting things:
- left trigger is not only used to aim when your gun is drawn, but used to "focus" on whatever you like.
- Guns can be damaged by water and use. Can be cleaned to restore them.
- Horse balls get bigger and smaller depending on temperature.
- Gunfights could be slower, as you'll have to manually pull the hammer back if you want an accurate shot.
- Your hair and beard grow, you can get them cut at the barbershop.
- There will be a first person mode. This is good news, I thought it added immensely to GTA5.

Lots of other stuff in there, worth reading.

mobias

The guys at Gamesradar have reviewed the gameplay. I don't usually follow games critics but I really like Dan Dawkins. It does sound utterly incredible. I keep forgetting that its actually out really soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=UPC9ErMGlbA

Some more info
Miscellaneous
- Entirely playable in 1st person mode.
- Customisable HUD.
- Each character will have different sets of clothes to coincide with weather conditions.
- Like the first game you have a range of choices, and your decision affects your honor meter.
- When hunting, you can sell the carcass or take it to the butchers for meat. If you leave it too long, it'll rot.
- Your camp will not wait for you. Members of your gang who reside at camp will come and go, and finding out where exactly they've gone from others will be the basis of a number of quests and side quests.
- If you hold the trackpad to turn on the cinematic camera you can set a waypoint and hold X and your horse will automatically make its way to the destination.
- As you skin an animal, you can see where the exit wounds are.
- You can pet dogs. Those dogs won't bark at you again if you see them.
- You can buy newspapers which will cover events that occur throughout the story.

Weapons and Gunplay
- You can physically see all your weapons on Arthur's character model. You can hold only hold two sidearms and two long weapons (along with a knife, lasso, and throwables).
- Gun customisation, such as engravings.
- Dead Eye now has 5 levels, Level 1 allows for slowdown, Level 2 allows you to paint targets and unleash a barrage of shots, and Level 3 allows you to manually pick your shooting points, etc.
- It's possible to shoot weapons out of enemy hands.
- Weapons get dirty and clogged up over time, or if you get them wet, so you'll need to clean them to get the best performance.
- If you double-tap L1 Arthur puts his gun away with a flourish.

Arthur
- Beard grows over time, but you can shave.
- Clothing customisations go as far as allowing layering and minor adjustments, like the option to roll up your sleeves.
- You get hungry over time, but you can get fat if you eat too much, effecting stamina.
- Stats like stamina can be raised by doing physical activities (such as in GTA V or Bethesda RPG's).
- Snow on Arthur's clothing will eventually melt. Mud will harden and wipe away. Blood will dry.
- You can swim (just about).
- Putting on a bandana during a crime and then taking it off afterwards makes the Wanted meter drop faster.
- You can pay your own bounty, but townspeople will still remember any trouble you caused and comment on it when you return.
- Arthur can look at his reflection in the mirror and will comment on what he sees.

Horse
- The whistle command button can be held down and Arthur will whistle until he runs out of breath.
- Visit Stables to customise your horse, switching out its saddle, blanket, stirrups, reins and saddle horn.
- You can name your horse.
- You can clean your horse.
- Horses poop dynamically.
- If your horse dies, it's gone forever.
- You can tell your horse to flee when it's in a precarious situation to try to spare its life.
- Horse testicles shrink depending on the in-game weather.

As ever, the kind of crap that sounds cool but in terms of the gameplay is just nothin.

Bhazor

Love the "honor system". Stop a train, kill a few dozen guards, rob a hundred people but you let that one guy go. So you're a hero! Likewise the "cinematic" commutes. Where you can get around the notorious Rockstar commute by... watching a ten minute FFXV style cutscene of your commute instead.

mobias

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 20, 2018, 07:48:36 PM
As ever, the kind of crap that sounds cool but in terms of the gameplay is just nothin.

Kill joy!

Mister Six

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 20, 2018, 07:48:36 PM

Aye, but if I get this I'll definitely be petting loads of dogs.

It does sound like a repeat of GTA V though - a borderline clinically obsessive level of detail wrapped around the same old rickety Rockstar gameplay.

Twed

It sounds like a bunch of GTA: SA stat meter crap.

Quote from: mobias on September 20, 2018, 10:41:08 PM
Kill joy!

I'm being a bit glib but I find that so much of this is busy work crap. They're still at the level of 'ideas you'd have as a 12-year-old'. Enormously exciting to imagine this stuff and the level of detail and to discuss with your mates, 'like your gun would get wet when it's raining so you'd have to dry it or it wouldn't fire properly and you could get a waterproof holster or grow your hand with growth hormones so your fat paw blocks 6% more rain from getting into the gun's innards' but the practical reality is that all that shit is not fun at all and distances the player from the actual gameplay. And even worse, that's not even a valid criticism because that IS the gameplay. That's the stuff you're meant to enjoy. I understand it conceptually from the point of view of immersion, but again that stuff distances you from immersion. To be immersed is a pretty delicate balance of being engaged on a macro level by simply being in the world and interacting with its moving parts, not being forced to stare at its superfluous minute details.

Consignia

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 21, 2018, 05:37:20 AM
They're still at the level of 'ideas you'd have as a 12-year-old'.

That is the most apt description of that feature list posted. I really enjoyed the first RDR, but things like the list and that gameplay trailer which went into detail about the things you can do at camp just really did nothing for me.

At least now we know that horse testicles shrink in cold weather. A selling point if ever I saw one.

mobias

The stuff about having to keep your gun clean reminds me a bit of Witcher 3 where you had to have an armour or weapon repair kit with you if your sword suddenly went blunt in the middle of a level 60 boss fight. It was always just annoying and because there was no animation or cut scene of Geralt sharpening his sword or repairing his armour it all just seemed utterly tagged on, slightly pointless and annoying. That is a general criticism of RPG games though, for me. I know some people seriously love all that sort of crap. 

I really enjoyed the little RPG elements in RDR1. They seemed immersive enough without getting in the way of the fun too much. For some reason it all worked a lot better than it ever has done in GTA. Maybe the simpler, slower backdrop of the Western setting just lends itself to all the extra immersive gameplay details much more than a game where really all you just want to do is drive or fly around blowing shit up.

Bhazor

I do like the sound of weapon cleaning because that could factor into the actually exciting bit of gameplay. Escaping the badlads by diving into a river swimming ashore and having to choose whether to frantically dry your gun and fight back or just fuck off. Like the gun stuff in Far Cry 2. But watch your commute from an exciting filmic angle? Mashing the x button during cutscenes? Hunger management? Shaving? Bollocks.

mobias

Quote from: Bhazor on September 21, 2018, 10:15:16 AM
But watch your commute from an exciting filmic angle?

Thats apparently amazing in action through. For a game which is really all about taking things at quite a slow pace and getting immersed in the beauty of it all its supposed to be a really great feature to have.

Quote from: Bhazor on September 21, 2018, 10:15:16 AM
Shaving? Bollocks.

Shaving your bollocks would be an excellent feature to have too.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 21, 2018, 05:37:20 AM
I'm being a bit glib but I find that so much of this is busy work crap. They're still at the level of 'ideas you'd have as a 12-year-old'. Enormously exciting to imagine this stuff and the level of detail and to discuss with your mates, 'like your gun would get wet when it's raining so you'd have to dry it or it wouldn't fire properly and you could get a waterproof holster or grow your hand with growth hormones so your fat paw blocks 6% more rain from getting into the gun's innards' but the practical reality is that all that shit is not fun at all and distances the player from the actual gameplay. And even worse, that's not even a valid criticism because that IS the gameplay. That's the stuff you're meant to enjoy. I understand it conceptually from the point of view of immersion, but again that stuff distances you from immersion. To be immersed is a pretty delicate balance of being engaged on a macro level by simply being in the world and interacting with its moving parts, not being forced to stare at its superfluous minute details.

(I realise mobias basically said the same thing with much less words).

I agree with a lot of this, and I hate busywork in games (hated No Man's Sky for this reason). However, while it's easy to dismiss RDR as "GTA with horses", I've always found the two games to be completely different experiences, despite the similarity of the mechanics. Having to stop to eat or work out in the fast-paced world of GTA was a pain in the arse. Having to take the time to clean your gun or pet your horse in RDR, where the slow, meditative pace itself is part of the point, could well feel very different. The jury is out on that stuff, but there's still plenty to look forward to.

Consignia

But will it have realistic detailed horse vaginas? My having fun pretending to be a cowboy is completely predicated on that.

mobias

I have it on good authority that 5GB of that space alone is used for the the dynamically rendered horse testicles. 

Hank Venture

Anything about microtransactions yet? Me buying it hinges on it not having any.

QDRPHNC

Noodle Lizard

Most of the reveals didn't get me too excited (count me in as one who hates busywork in games), but I'm properly happy that it looks as if you can go fishing.  Maybe I ought to buy a fishing game.  Or just go fishing.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 27, 2018, 06:15:49 PM
Well, there's two months of my internet limit right there.

On unlimited over here - bring your PS4 so we can mug off my internet provider.

I'm getting the physical copy, 105gb is bonkers

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 27, 2018, 11:39:09 PM
On unlimited over here - bring your PS4 so we can mug off my internet provider.

I'm getting the physical copy, 105gb is bonkers

I'm on an xbox onnnnnnnnne *

Can you get a physical copy if you preordered via the microsoft store? I hope so. Fucking hell.

* Although I suppose I could still mug it off your internet provider. Who are you with? I have Tek Savvy. I can't do this to them, it'll kill them!

Ferris

Beanfield - only available in wanker condo buildings like what we live in.

mobias

The game itself is about 70GB and there's a further large chunk that has to be downloaded for the online part of the game.

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 27, 2018, 06:15:38 PM
Anything about microtransactions yet? Me buying it hinges on it not having any.

Last time I heard Rockstar aim to make their money with large episodic DLC, as with RDR1 and GTAIV. This will certainly be nothing like GTA Online from what I can gather.

hedgehog90