Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,471
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Yeah, yeah, it's no noble attitude. How many of their employees were under pressure to work more hours because the top are normalising it? It's a poison attitude in the industry.

Mister Six

Absolute fucking bollocks unless they've changed things dramatically in the last few years. A mate of mine who was by no means in a senior position was working such long hours he could barely string sentences together by the end of each crunch time. And he was not alone

mobias

There's a few things I know. Crunch time on RDR2 has definitely been worse than it was for GTAV but come bonus day Rockstar are generous with all that cash they make. Even people quite low down get a nice lump sum wad of cash for all their extra effort. Competition for top tier highly skilled staff in the IT industry and certainly in AAA gaming is such that these studios have to look after their employ's in a way they probably didn't have to a few years back. Thats what I've been told anyway.

The friends I've got who work at Rockstar North have definitely been working late and at weekends since the Summer but they're pretty well looked after. There's some decent perks to make it more bearable.

Zetetic

QuoteThe point I was trying to make in the article was related to how the narrative and dialogue in the game was crafted

Christ, and it'll still be fucking terrible.

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on October 15, 2018, 07:40:30 PM
There's a few things I know. Crunch time on RDR2 has definitely been worse than it was for GTAV but come bonus day Rockstar are generous with all that cash they make.

That's true. But is it worth the toll on mental and physical health, not to mention one's social life?

And at least a few years ago it wasn't just "late and at weekends", it was substantial chunks of your life being given up, not just the odd Saturday or 8pm finish.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2018, 10:21:45 PM
That's true. But is it worth the toll on mental and physical health, not to mention one's social life?

The guys I know at Rockstar are pretty cool with it because as they say it only happens once every 5 years or so. God only knows what its like to work for Ubisoft or Activision or one of the other studios that annualises its big game releases. Crunch time once a year would quite rightly drive anyone to despair. I think thats another reason everyone wants to work for Rockstar. 

Mister Six

Maybe it's different now Rockstar focuses on massive releases every five years and has wound in the DS and remakes side of things.

Hank Venture

Shithousers, more like. I'm back to not wanting to buy it again.

QDRPHNC

I'm not saying it's right, but "working your arse off in exchange for very decent perks" is hardly unusual, especially in the digital industries.

mobias

Staff made to work overtime? Pre-order cancelled.

Consignia

It's far a bigger problem than just offering overtime. It's cultivating a bad work ethic which is grinding people to the ground physically and emotionally for what is poor management. The crunch is quite infamous in the games industry, and I'm under no illusions most games I've enjoyed have been subject to it. However, what really has annoyed me in this case is the CEO boasting about the awful work environment they are promoting.

No, I didn't have this on pre-order. No, this isn't the only reason I'm not going to get this game. But it's the straw on camel's back for me about a game I think's steeped in things that don't make it fun, for what is the detriment to the well being of the creators. So I'm effectively going to boycott this game. I don't care it's not going to make a difference to the bottom line; I just want no part in this shit.

It's just far too often consumers defending these shitty practices because it's the way things are. Gamers can be right little corporate cock suckers at times.

Consignia

Quote from: Consignia on October 16, 2018, 07:26:01 PM
Gamers can be right little corporate cock suckers at times.

This line isn't directed at anyone here by the way, just some of the sentiment gleaned from Twitter. Apologies if it comes across as very harsh.

biggytitbo

mobias

Looks like the first leaks from review copies are getting out and people starting to put streams online via reddit. Although Rockstar are inevitably shutting them down almost as soon as they appear.

The main story apparently tops out at around 65 hours. Decent length, much longer than GTAV which I think was around 40 hours.

People are desperate to see leaks of what the map looks like but I'm really looking foreword to slowly discovering that for myself.

Ferris

^yeah I don't get the desperation to ruin the surprises for yourself. Seems very odd.

Edit: I'm going to stay inside all day and play the first one again.

I forgot about spoiler wankers. Best of luck folks.

Malcy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 20, 2018, 04:16:32 PM
^yeah I don't get the desperation to ruin the surprises for yourself. Seems very odd.

Edit: I'm going to stay inside all day and play the first one again.

I started playing the first one yesterday. Enjoying it so far. Still getting used to not being able to zip across the map in a fast car though!

I have a game on the iPad called Six Guns which seems to be a knock off version of this but it was really good. Same sort of collecting flowers and killing animals etc.

New Jack

Ordered some ket off the dark web for TOTAL IMMERSION in this.

Your clothes get muddy.
You have to shave.
You can get fat.

So immersive, this escape from reality

AsparagusTrevor

biggytitbo

This is one of those games where the review scores will all be 9 and 10/10 regardless of how good it is, cos the industry knows what side its bread is buttered on. And HYPE of course.

GTA4 is still the highest scoring game on metacritic I think, and that turned out not to actually be that good.

Barry Admin

Cowboys hats aren't made of tinfoil anyway.

New Jack

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 22, 2018, 12:47:24 PM
This is one of those games where the review scores will all be 9 and 10/10 regardless of how good it is, cos the industry knows what side its bread is buttered on. And HYPE of course.

GTA4 is still the highest scoring game on metacritic I think, and that turned out not to actually be that good.

Probably. I don't even bother with Metacritic. I'm a word of mouth type. Though Spiderman got loads of good reviews and I fucking love that

I think it'll be ace, but my idea of fun is talkin like a cowboy, pardner, and if I'm doing it on ket I'll just be staring at sunsets with my beard growing (and when I come home I'll do the same in Red Dead 2!!)

I have read a few previews. Leafed through Edge's in the shop and that jizzed like fuck aboot it. I used to love Edge. Used to love a lot of things... . Can't see the Official PlayStation Magazine or whatever calling it shit dross. Their palms are crossed with silver.

If we are going by what magazines think, I just hope it's good enough to feature in Retro Gamer when I'm Old Jack.

I am fucking loving the PC Gamer site covering it, just because I am a cunt laughing at comments from outraged PC Gamers who believe in the format war bollocks. I'll be playing it on my GayStation

Neomod

RDR is one of my favourite games but the hero/anti hero character model has really put me off this. Therefore I will not be buying it until I know for sure you can change his appearance radically.

The odd thing is usually I don't give a shit what your character looks like.

New Jack

Quote from: Neomod on October 22, 2018, 02:37:34 PM
RDR is one of my favourite games but the hero/anti hero character model has really put me off this. Therefore I will not be buying it until I know for sure you can change his appearance radically.

The odd thing is usually I don't give a shit what your character looks like.

You can make him fat or thin and grow a beard and turn up his jeans.

Fuck hats like. Seems there's a decent amount of molesting the fella's looks.

But... Does it go far enough? If he needs to shave, surely he can go bald? Maybe he can gradually develop short-sightedness too. And gout. And it can affect his temper stat, and he gets automatically lairy and has a go at random punters in the saloon. Yeehaw!

biggytitbo

Can you play as a native American in this and try to defend the existence of your very civilisation from the ethnic cleansing of the white settlers? Also can you shoot peoples hats off?

kittens

got friday off work. how do i buy this game so i can play it immediately on friday.

biggytitbo

I think if you buy a digital version it downloads in advance?

If you buy the disc you'll get home all excited, pop it in (the disc) and be confronted with a vast update that will keep you waiting hours.

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 22, 2018, 03:20:32 PM
I think if you buy a digital version it downloads in advance?

If you buy the disc you'll get home all excited, pop it in (the disc) and be confronted with a vast update that will keep you waiting hours.

He'll already be at home though. Hes got the day off work so will just be waiting around for ages

Amazon Prime

Simply Games might ship it early because they seem to with everything else.