Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osmium

Looks great. Shame it will just be about shooting cunts, endlessly.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Bhazor on October 20, 2016, 09:32:54 PM
Rockstar are among the worst at dragging the media drip feed out as far as possible. Expect another $100million advertising campaign for the 6 months leading to release.

It'll work though, this will be one of the few games I will definitely pre-order and know I won't be disappointed.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Osmium on October 21, 2016, 02:59:16 AM
Looks great. Shame it will just be about shooting cunts, endlessly

1. Cool!
2. Also, hopefully there will be plenty of new flowers to pick
3. It would be great if you were given the chance to establish yourself in the RDR world. Build (or buy) your own shop or bar, for example, and stock it up and run it as you please. Maybe start a ranch – hire ranch hands, protect your cattle, make money, expand. It would be nice if you could recruit followers too, whether they be gang members or employees. Basically, things that provide an alternative to being a wanderer, and give you more focus. I know it's a Western, not Farmville, but I'd go for that aspect.

mobias

Yeah looking forward to the first game play details and a bit more info about the world its all set in.

Reading round a few other forums, especially Neogaf, its surprising how many people are underwhelmed by the graphics. I think it looks amazing. The fact that it doesn't look impossibly good (remember the first GTAV trailer?) makes me think, in fact I know, this the game we'll be playing this time next year. It was apparently captured on the standard PS4 version. Not the PS4 Pro, which I don't think Rockstar are supporting anyway.   

Shay Chaise

This is just coming from my imagination but I expect they'll build on everything they've learned with GTAO and you'll be able to form posses roaming the landscape causing trouble or solving problems and having out and out warfare and defending your camp or base. I don't see them going back to the multiple angle narrative, because you never felt particularly attached as many people did with previous protagonists, or certainly with John Marston. That also seems to fit the prequel idea, knowing what we do about his past.

Noodle Lizard

Calling a Native American woman as one of the playable characters to throw a bone at the Twatters.  Not complaining, mind you.

Custard

Hope Marston gets to bang Bonnie this time. Maybe as next year's Hot Coffee

Custard

Seriously though, I'm very excited about this. RDR is easily one of my most loved games ever, and it affected me on a level the GTA games never quite reach. Maybe cos I liked Marston so much. What a lad

Now I'll have to finally buy one of those new consoles the kids are talking about

mobias

My guess is the game won't be a prequel, as frequently reported, but will be a direct sequel where you play as John Marston's son.

Neomod

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 22, 2016, 09:43:07 AM
Now I'll have to finally buy one of those new consoles the kids are talking about

Yeah me too. I didn't actually complete the first one (72%) even though I bought and played Undead Nightmare so have returned this week. Still holds up very well.

kittens

replayed the first one last year, i'm pretty sure it's my favourite game of all time. didn't like undead nightmare though. i guess because i didn't play it the first time round, so this time it felt like a pointless addition. i am fully confident that i am going to love this game

Am I the only one who really misses the somewhat more over the top Spaghetti Western feel of Red Dead Revolver? I loved the screen looking like damaged celluloid and the raiding of the library of old sound effects and themes from film scores. Maybe it's for the best that Red Dead Redemption has gone for being a more modern 'Deadwood' type of Western as those tend to devote more time to character-building and establishing a world, but I miss the fun of being able to pretend I was playing in the crazy Italian Westerns of the 60's/70's.

mobias

I never played Red Dead Revolver but I thought RDR had its fair share of slightly over the top comic book characters. It would't surprise me at all if RDR2 is a lot more gritty and realistic though.

I think one do the things I liked about RDR1 was the fact that because it was a new franchise (if you exclude Red Dead Revolver) Rockstar could start from scratch with it. Having played through GTAV twice now its pretty clear GTA suffers a lot from having to tick too many boxes of what people expect from the franchise. Its weighed down rather a lot by its own popularity. With Red Dead they can be a lot more focussed with it and create a really engaging beautiful world. They don't have to appeal to the Saints Row crowd. Its a more mature game.

Space ghost

I hope they dial the euphoria animation engine back up to gta iv and rdr leveles again. V felt so lacking with it scaled back.

Neomod

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on October 22, 2016, 11:59:36 AM
Am I the only one who really misses the somewhat more over the top Spaghetti Western feel of Red Dead Revolver? I loved the screen looking like damaged celluloid and the raiding of the library of old sound effects and themes from film scores. Maybe it's for the best that Red Dead Redemption has gone for being a more modern 'Deadwood' type of Western as those tend to devote more time to character-building and establishing a world, but I miss the fun of being able to pretend I was playing in the crazy Italian Westerns of the 60's/70's.

I do think there are some Leone tropes in RDRedemption, in the mexico section especially. The theme to RDRevolver though is superb. I wouldn't mind a few more Morricone-isms in the next game.

https://youtu.be/l-H2emrYWro?t=1m13s

Neomod

Quote from: mobias on October 22, 2016, 10:37:27 AM
My guess is the game won't be a prequel, as frequently reported, but will be a direct sequel where you play as John Marston's son.

This outsidexbox video seems to offer compelling evidence otherwise but who knows. Interesting video nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6itiDJa8lbo

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 22, 2016, 09:40:45 AM
Hope Marston gets to bang Bonnie this time. Maybe as next year's Hot Coffee

YES PLEASE C'MON.  I was always a bit disappointed when he eventually gets home and his wife is a bit of a dick.

Twed

I hope that after you get used to the character he gets taken away from you and you have to be his fucking Wesley Crusher son forever.

mobias

Quote from: Neomod on October 22, 2016, 06:44:06 PM
This outsidexbox video seems to offer compelling evidence otherwise but who knows. Interesting video nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6itiDJa8lbo

Yeah interesting stuff. I think there's still room for it to be a sequel though. All their evidence for it being a prequel seems a bit thin. The leaked info a while back does point to it being a prequel though. http://wccftech.com/red-dead-redemption-2-details-leak-disgruntled-rockstar-employee/

Viero_Berlotti

Wasn't RDR1 set in or very near the beginning of the early 20th century? I always thought they'd have nowhere to go but back with the next one. If they went any further forward you'd be getting into a timeframe that was considered outside of what is traditionally thought of as the 'Wild West' era. My guess would be the mid-1870s this time around.

I just hope they set it in a time before Gatling guns were invented so we don't have to endure the typically turgid mission of mowing down waves of enemies from the back of a truck with one.

(I was joking earlier on in the thread about the main protagonists by the way, although I do agree with however thinks there might be a playable female Native American character)

mobias

I suppose Red Dead Redemption was set so late on because they wanted to tie it in with the Mexican civil war, which was early 20th century. Maybe all the Red Dead games well end up being prequels to each other.

Bhazor

It occured to me recently that the Wild West is the one period of history I have zero interest in. Just a total flatline for me and I don't really know why. Maybe its the recurring idea that the hills in the background are more interesting than the characters in the foreground.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/24/the-character-you-missed-in-the-red-dead-redemption-2-trailer

Literally any other combination of time and place would be more exciting to me. 1920s Spain? First murmurs of civil war. Interesting. 1860s Germany? Emergence of German identity and the first movements towards World War 1. All the great german artists emerge here. 1730s Sweden? The Riksdag issues a strict sumptuary law prohibiting luxury imports. Who doesn't love tax laws!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shay Chaise on October 18, 2016, 05:48:32 PM
bloody awful feel and mechanics.

Yup. It is something they've worked hard to improve on but definitely still a major flaw Rockstar's game development.

mobias

Apparently the level of detail in this game is something to behold. Like Uncharted 4 and then some. Insane levels of detail in the graphics, physics and audio. All the more impressive since its massive open world. Still a year from release but its mesmerising to just walk around the world so I've heard. The AI is like something you've never seen in a game too.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mobias on November 25, 2016, 10:37:52 PM
Apparently the level of detail in this game is something to behold. Like Uncharted 4 and then some. Insane levels of detail in the graphics, physics and audio. All the more impressive since its massive open world. Still a year from release but its mesmerising to just walk around the world so I've heard. The AI is like something you've never seen in a game too.

Is there a single big release we haven't heard this about?

Shay Chaise

I want to be able to headbutt any horse or NPC. Headbutt all day. Start a mission, headbutt the guy you're protecting. Fail. Restart. Headbutt. Fail. Restart. Headbutt. Quit the game and headbutt my dad.

mobias

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 25, 2016, 11:03:23 PM
Is there a single big release we haven't heard this about?

Except this is Rockstar's first big release on this generation of consoles and they're coming to it late in the day and out to show how its done I guess. They've got a certain amount to prove. Plus my info hasn't come from a games journalist.

Some stuff might get stripped out before release though. Its happened before.

kittens

i am completely buying into the hype with this one. first game is my favourite of all time, and i trust them to make something fun and good. can't frigging wait boys