Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)  (Read 38688 times)

mobias

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
First gameplay trailer released today. Looks mega https://www.rockstargames.com

4K link here https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/videos?id=12100

Its worth watching it at higher res because the graphics are stunning

New Jack

• Biggy laughed at my family deaths; won't say sorry
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
Ace!! Time for a vape and a watch!

Edit: fuck me, that looks special

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Tempted to book some time off work so I can sit about in my pants and play this like the absolute DEGENERATE I am

mobias

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »
Tempted to book some time off work so I can sit about in my pants and play this like the absolute DEGENERATE I am

I'm up for that too. Maybe we could do it together?

New Jack

« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
I assume I'll still keep on applying for work, but it's interesting to note I've closed my Indeed.co.uk tab yet I'm on my third play of that trailer

I like some of the new systems, the fighting looks deeper - after Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza I thought GTA could use a grapple button - and I like the idea of mechanics like intimidation, there was a GTAV mod that looked similar (but obviously very basic - point a gun at someone and they put their hands up) so I know the engine can be expanded and this looks like everything I'd want and more!

It looks just... deeper in everything, the setting is a huge plus. Things like it having an ecosystem will add vibrancy, life. And not that I doubted it would be present, but Deadeye is a great mechanic and it's back.

That scene with the crocodile. Man, that's how night should look in games.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
I do enjoy the corporate briefing tone of Rockstar demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjOXR9QnMo

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »
I buy about one game a year, the other day I went mad and preordered the super super deluxe version with the sweet horse.

Ham Bap

• I’m a ham bap.
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:03 AM »

I’m going one further and planning a week off sick from work at the start of November to sit in my pants and play it.

kittens

• kittens
  • Silver Member
  • don't have a cow man
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
only got 1 day of holiday left this year. wanted to take the week off for this. don't wanna book my day yet cos what if they change the bloody release date again. might have to take it all as unpaid leave

« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:24 AM »
I was going to say all this taking holiday stuff is fucking mad then remembered I took a day off for E3.

gmoney

• Hug a jug of wine
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
I was going to say all this taking holiday stuff is fucking mad then remembered I took a day off for E3.

This is the best joke I've seen you make, nice one Bosty. Imagine someone doing that!

« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
Haha, yes...imagine.

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »
I buy about one game a year, the other day I went mad and preordered the super super deluxe version with the sweet horse.

You will only encourage them, you know.

(I did the same)

Neomod

• Oh my genitals | I'm a janitor
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
That was a nice touch when Morgan got chucked through the saloon window into the muddy street and was covered in mud. It's small details like that you notice mid game and smile to yourself, light a pipe and tip your hat to the developers.

It was the same with the care taken in RDR1.

I'm sure I noticed the voice of Jim Beaver (Ellsworth from Deadwood) in that trailer.

New Jack

« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
You can stroke your horse it seems
But they don't have bollocks

Hmm, pretty conflicted

- Mr Hands (too soon?)

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »
That was a nice touch when Morgan got chucked through the saloon window into the muddy street and was covered in mud. It's small details like that you notice mid game and smile to yourself, light a pipe and tip your hat to the developers.

It was the same with the care taken in RDR1.

I'm sure I noticed the voice of Jim Beaver (Ellsworth from Deadwood) in that trailer.

A dev was very happy with that rain/mud, and they decided it was a highlight because part of that cutscene panned down to the mud so it was 80% of the screen and you couldn’t miss it, before reframing on the character but leaving a big puddle-y patch in frame with the light on it so it stands out. It’s designed to make you go “oooh! Mud!” and it works because both myself and Mrs Ferris went “ooh! Mud!”.

New Jack

« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
I was bothered by the ground a bit in a few scenes in this trailer as they look like flat textures for non flat surfaces and I have to complain about something

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 目を開けて
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »
Wow, that looks like PS2 era mipmapping.

« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
I have to be honest, the lighting looks amazing and the foliage but everything else looks like a bog standard PS4 game these days.

New Jack

« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
The skies look ace, and the characters have good movement.

It's not finished yet so hopefully they whack a bit of modern bump mapping onto those floor textures

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• If you kiss me now, I know you'd fool me again
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
It looks exactly like the previous one.

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »
It looks exactly like the previous one.

I played through it a few weeks ago, and the new one definitely looks nicer. Then again, I have RDR1 on the PS3 so I’m out of date anyway.

« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2018, 01:46:33 PM »
Never came out on PS4 unless I've misunderstood.

Edited for grammar.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:04:16 PM by The Boston Crab »

FerriswheelBueller

• Floaters gonna float.
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
Shows what I know.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
The last couple of GTA games have worn me out a bit - too much reliance on rudimentary core mechanics, then introducing new contextual mechanics that work for one mission only and basically just mean pressing button prompts when told to get the next cutscene to activate. Lazy, shitty design.

However, it looks like this might have some more substantial core mechanics. If it does - and they're properly integrated into the game and not just a thin veneer on the usual Rockstar fallbacks - then this could be great.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just pick it up second-hand for the poker.

« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »
It looks nice, but they always say they've improved combat and shooting, so I'll wait and see. Their improvements in those areas have always been very gradual.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• If you kiss me now, I know you'd fool me again
« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
It looks nice, but they always say they've improved combat and shooting, so I'll wait and see. Their improvements in those areas have always been very gradual.
This is what I was getting at. The voiceover in the video I watched was talking up the improvements they'd made, but it all looked exactly the same as before. About the biggest difference I noticed was that you're part of a gang now and you have to take care of your horse - which sounds a wee bit crap, but then I thought the same when they announced the RPG elements in GTA: San Andreas and those never really impacted the game much.

I suppose, given the setting, there's a limit to how much they can change, unless they were to go all Wild Wild West with it. And it's not like more of the same is a bad thing.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 目を開けて
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
The video did leave me rather non-plussed. Sure, taking care of your house might sound like a good idea, but in practice it'll either a complete fag or just involve giving it a carrot after every mission. Most of the things listed in the video seem like they'll get in way of the gameplay rather than enhance the experience.

When they said gameplay video, I thought they'd have someone actually playing a bit of the game, not a smash bros style sober listing of the mechanics.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
You can stroke your horse it seems
But they don't have bollocks

Shows what you fucking know mate. No indication if they have anuses though. Hot brown socket of bliss.

New Jack

« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »
Game improved!!

I know the GTA series far too well, and I'm excited because I do think they've added new layers to fighting here (like I said, a simple grapple button would do wonders), and anything extra on top of 'interact with violence' is a push in the right direction. I can visualise how context sensitive reactions to the player work, as I've seen it done with mods, and can only assume Rockstar will do a far better job. I think it's hard to show snapshots of individual systems in a video and get across how they add to one experience, but that's why I'm excited.

I doubt I'll touch online if its anything like GTAV though. How can they add new shit to the old West so much anyway?  I find it therefore heartening that on the PS store page one of the pre order bonuses is online money for GTAV... Not Red Dead 2. Please, no fucking shark cards