Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam Series 3 finally coming to BBC Radio 4 Extra (+ Raw Meat Radio repeat).

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, October 19, 2016, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiral King

This Beethoven sketch is underrated little gem. I love Kevin Eldon's really quick and curt "no" to Morris' bizarre, muffled "and do you enjoy [bowling]?"

Edit: Fuck. Almost a perfect ending. And Smith was so well behaved during the intro. Oh well. Should be an easy edit if the iPlayer admins can do their one job correctly.

Edit 2: It's now on iPlayer with nothing cut off on either end. Over to you, olliebean.

olliebean

Episode 3 (Freesat and iPlayer) now available on Mega (URL as before). I've made sure they're decrypted this time.

Spiral King

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 3 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

This was fairly straight forward. The intro is something of a revelation, with the unobscured, haunting chimes... if only because I now realise a "dark synth overlay" on the original Radio 1 broadcasts must have been put there by someone other than Morris... maybe the remnants of a "Blue Jam has strong language" warning? Dunno. Either way, I really like how clean it is now. Outro was kinda frustrating, as Smith blabbed over the final heart beat sound effect... I tried patching it in from the Radio 1 rip, but there was a bit of tape hiss and it was literally half a second, so I decided against struggling with it/settling for the final seconds sounding uneven. Eventually I just whacked a fade on it, and it's fine, but I may come back to it in a few weeks if it bugs me enough.

TJ

Spiral King

Obligatory reminder: Episode 4 is on in 5 minutes-ish.

Edit: Perfect opening. Smith has been super well behaved over the intros for this set of repeats. Good stuff.

Spiral King

I love this sketch. "Could you stop this daughter?" is one of my all time favourite Morris lines.

One of my favourite episodes, this.

The "House Wheel" sketch that's coming up really made me laugh when I first heard it.

Spiral King

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on November 18, 2016, 11:19:00 PM
One of my favourite episodes, this.

The "House Wheel" sketch that's coming up really made me laugh when I first heard it.

It's David Cann wheeze laughing at the end that does it for me. It's the perfect conclusion to a building crescendo between Bullmore and Eldon.

Spiral King

Great music in this episode too! This Moloko track is really choice, and the Beloved remix later is just beautiful.

Spiral King

I always did prefer the bewildered "what" in this episode to the aggravated "Go away!" in the Jam adaptation, re: the car wash question. I also think Julia Davis' performance here is a little better tbh.

Spiral King

This episode makes me really appreciate how much the music makes Blue Jam so much better than its television sister. I wish they'd made the TV show an hour long and took a cue from "The Trip" and kept the music as an integral part of the experience. It may have worked so much better.

Probably would never have been on DVD though.

Spiral King

As much as I'm not a fan of the Welsh sketches, I think this is my favourite one. The ending with all of them breaking down over the demise of their "Daddy" is very funny. Great lead in into the Beloved remix too. Good little moment.

Spiral King

Very clean ending too! A ridiculous amount of outro that we didn't have before. This is going to be an easy edit.

olliebean

iPlayer and Freeview rips now up in the usual place. One stream error in the Freeview - see log file for details - probably inaudible, though.

Spiral King

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 4 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

Very simple edit this week. Just chopped off the last of Smith's preamble into the clean opening, and then cut off the end of the file just before Smith inhales over the very last heart beats with a quick fade to make it a little less jarring.

Shade

Quote from: Spiral King on November 18, 2016, 11:48:20 PM
As much as I'm not a fan of the Welsh sketches, I think this is my favourite one. The ending with all of them breaking down over the demise of their "Daddy" is very funny. Great lead in into the Beloved remix too. Good little moment.

I haven't listened to these for a few years, but I member the bit you mention. A good example of why I preferred the radio version. The way the sketches bleed into the music and vice versa gives it a dream-like quality. I think this same episode has the Doc HIV sketch that has the interlude during the music. I always liked that one. Nothing dangerous or wacky on the Doc's part this time just his forgetfulness reducing his patient to tears. The London dungeon monologue starts with another good transition, and ends with one if I remember rightly.

olliebean

Got 'em up nice and early this week. Quite a few steam errors in the Freeview stream (I need a better aerial), but I've skimmed through and most are inaudible, the few that aren't are almost imperceptible clicks that I very much doubt I'd have noticed if I wasn't listening out for them. Anyway, nothing missing from the iPlayer rip and Arthur's given us a wonderfully clean open and close this week. Files up in the usual place.

Spiral King

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 5 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

Ridiculously easy edit. Everything was clean as a whistle and the entire process took me five minutes, including the upload time. Not much more to say than that. Missed this as it went out as I was working, but as I previously said, the final monologue is wonderful. The Dramatic's Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get is also a treat.

Spiral King

Episode 6 is up on iPlayer. Ending is cut off by those incompetent iPlayer techs. Will stitch the Freeview/Freesat rip onto it once olliebean gets them up.

olliebean

It overran by a few minutes this week - I was worried my Freeview rip hadn't caught the end; luckily it got it with just 20 seconds to spare. Will be uploaded soon.

<edit> I can't get the files to decrypt on Mega. Logged out and in again several times and they're still showing as undecrypted when I'm not logged in. I'm going to have to find somewhere else to upload them.

<re-edit> The files are on Mega now. I re-uploaded them via the website and that seems to have worked. Sorry for the delay.

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Spiral King

^ No problem. Editing/archiving this show is actually very enjoyable to me, and I'm so glad BBC 4 Extra repeated them, so that I could do this little project.

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 6 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A and MP2 > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

A bit of a pain, but a relatively easy fix honestly. If this round of repeats has taught me anything, it's to edit with Audacity more efficiently and quickly. I applied the ending of the MP2 to the cut off on the M4A. After that, it was just a case of doing a basic top and tail on it with a half second of silence on each side. Something to note is that Arthur does do a slightly inhale over the last second of heartbeat, but it's very subtle, and the rest is otherwise very clean. Enjoy.

-

Okay, so all over and done, right? Basically. But in a week's time, I want to do like a massive compilation thread, with additional bonus content. This inclues the Battersea live show, Rarities CD, Rothko monlogue from My Wrongs DVD, packaging scans, and various website files (DocRude, jam artillery mp3, etc). May also include complete archives of the original RealAudio and MP3s from the Radio 1 broadcasts, if anyone is interested in an archive of those.

I do hope they do decide to repeat at least Series 2 at some point. I'll keep an eye out, as redoing those is very much of interest to me. The missing audio in Episode 1 is annoying, and the whole broadcast is louder and more compressed than Series 1 and 3. A lot of room for an improved repeat, imo. Probably won't happen, but I live in hope.

hermitical

I haven't started yet but I'll definitely be attacking your uploads. To my shame I am completely unfamiliar with CM's radio work, even to the extent of only hearing snippets of Blue Jam.

If there was a central repository of links, be it a thread or file transfer place it would be great, at the moment links seem spread across threads

weirdbeard

Quote from: hermitical on December 03, 2016, 10:23:38 PM
I haven't started yet but I'll definitely be attacking your uploads. To my shame I am completely unfamiliar with CM's radio work, even to the extent of only hearing snippets of Blue Jam.

If there was a central repository of links, be it a thread or file transfer place it would be great, at the moment links seem spread across threads

My MEGA folder of No Known Cure, Morning Edition and GLR shows is still alive

mega:///#fm/JFQWgTKQ

Would be nice to add some new shows or clips to it over Christmas, and I know some are out there.

Aguirre

Quote from: Spiral King on October 28, 2016, 11:45:58 PM
Totally forgot when exactly this was on. Oh well... hopefully it shows up on iPlayer soon after it's done going out.

olliebean, are you grabbing a Freeview rip?
Just want to say thanks for your Blue Jam .flac links.

blue reel

Thank you from Michigan, of all places. These flacs sound awesome, very much appreciate all the work put into them.

AtomicRust

Quote from: Spiral King on December 03, 2016, 05:52:57 PM

Okay, so all over and done, right? Basically. But in a week's time, I want to do like a massive compilation thread, with additional bonus content. This inclues the Battersea live show, Rarities CD, Rothko monlogue from My Wrongs DVD, packaging scans, and various website files (DocRude, jam artillery mp3, etc). May also include complete archives of the original RealAudio and MP3s from the Radio 1 broadcasts, if anyone is interested in an archive of those.

Eternal thanks for the work! I am immensely interested in the compilation idea! Especially since I have no idea what the Battersea live show is!