Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Line of Duty Season 4

Started by Van Dammage, October 21, 2016, 03:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dammage

Apologies if I get any hopes up with this thread, season 4 won't be airing until some time in 2017. However, I am currently rewatching it and I decided to look up the next season to see if there was any news. Quite pleased to here that the target for AC 12 this season will be played by Thandie Newton. Jason Watkins and Lee Ingleby are also new faces in the cast. Not much information other than that so far, but that sounds really promising, Newton is always great and its cool that they can attract and fairly big actor like that.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/line-of-duty/feature/a792215/line-of-duty-series-3-four-ways-it-was-almost-very-different/

I was reading more into season 3 too ^^ and found some fairly mad ways that Mercurio dicked around with the script. If you're not arsed reading it :

Number 1 and 2 were that
Spoiler alert
Danny
[close]
(Spoilered just in case anyone who hasn't seen 3 stumbles in) survived the first episode and instead of his death at the end of the episode it would have been him executing Harry Baines instead.

Number 3 was that Lindsay Denton kills Dot.

Number 4, by far the most surprising, was that Dot was actually supposed to kill Steve Arnott.

Anyway, If season 4 is anything close to the quality of 3 it'll be amazing. Looking forward to more great lines from Ted "He can be a wee irritating gobshite" Hastings too. No trailer or any other details at the moment, but it has also been commissioned for a season 5 as well. Anyone else interested in this? I seem to remember a few here were watching it when it aired.

Phil_A

Yes, big fan here. It'll be interesting to see what carries through to the next season given that the third conclusively wrapped up most of the ongoing plot threads. Are Arnott and Fleming still the focus of the story?

I knew about Thandie Newton but I'm pleased to hear Watkins is on board. He's a terrific actor.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Phil_A on October 21, 2016, 06:56:21 PM
Yes, big fan here. It'll be interesting to see what carries through to the next season given that the third conclusively wrapped up most of the ongoing plot threads. Are Arnott and Fleming still the focus of the story?

I was thinking about that too. The whole Tommy Hunter thing which was the driving force for every season seems fairly wrapped up. Having said that, even though
Spoiler alert
Dot
[close]
is dead I still hope they'll look more into the people he was working for. People capable and willing to just shoot up a police station with assault rifles and be so well organised that they could organise a pick up for him within the space of a few minutes. Even though he spilled his guts to AC 12 I highly doubt he knows who was really pulling the strings.

Johnny Textface

Another big fan here. I binged on all the episodes a few months back. Really looking forward to a new season, just a shame some of the main protagonists won't feature.

Van Dammage

Finished re watching season 3 yesterday and I love how tense the interrogation scenes really are, particularly the two in the finale. The dialogue really is excellent and acting is on point too.

Van Dammage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMnloEl1sM - 15 second long teaser trailer for season 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUzQhOmroIY - Minute long trailer (I've not watched this one for fear of spoliers.)

Both of the videos have hundreds more dislikes than likes for some reason. A quick glance at the comments shows that everyone seems to hate Thandie Newton. I don't see why, she's not that bad.

Mobius

Not watching either due to spoilers but who the fuck doesn't like Thandie Newton?

Absolutely fucking love this show. My only gripe is that David Morrissey hasn't yet been in it.

Sad that Craig Parkinson won't be about any more.

Phil_A

Quite surprised by the quick turnaround for this season, as all the previous ones had a couple of years between them. I trust Mercurio to deliver the goods, but I do hope the shorter gap doesn't affect the quality of writing.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Mobius on February 27, 2017, 10:28:43 PM
Not watching either due to spoilers but who the fuck doesn't like Thandie Newton?

Absolutely fucking love this show. My only gripe is that David Morrissey hasn't yet been in it.

Sad that Craig Parkinson won't be about any more.

I don't understand the hate for Newton at all. The top rated comments on both videos are calling her shite and saying something about ruining a good series. I watched the short teaser earlier on and it seems Paul Higgins is returning too.

Parkinson is actually the only reason I found the trailers. I saw him in the gambling episode of Black Books last night and looked it up afterwards.

Van Dammage

Starting on the 26th of March.

Rocket Surgery

Just found out by accident that this is starting tomorrow night. Knew it was imminent but thought we still had a while to wait.

Was planning a full rewatch in advance of the new series. Now I'm hoping to steadily go through the previous three series over the next few weeks while going around with my fingers in my ears, so I can binge on series 4 after it's finished. Very doubtful I'll hold out that long, but that's the plan.

Well excited. Don't fuck this up, Jed & co.

Dr Syntax Head

Where does this show stand on the gritty police drama grimness scale? The further up the scale the more pique of interest for me

Rocket Surgery

Not sure what you're comparing it to, but plenty of horrible things happen to blameless, decent people (and some dreadful people as well) if that's what you're asking.

It's not as visually graphic as certain other shows, but then the focus of it is on corruption within the force, so it's not just 'another week, another psycho bundling teenage smackhead prostitutes into his car and eating them'-type stuff.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 25, 2017, 01:49:03 PM
Where does this show stand on the gritty police drama grimness scale? The further up the scale the more pique of interest for me

It's gritty in the sense that it's quite realistic. The crimes begin to escalate as the series go on. Season 3 is a lot larger scale than season 1 and a lot more awful things happen. But yeah, what would you be comparing it to?.

Dr Syntax Head

I dunno really, maybe Happy Valley. That was quite bleak at times

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 25, 2017, 02:17:14 PM
Happy Valley.

Something I've been meaning to watch for a while. But haven't, so can't comment.

Line Of Duty is much more down-to-earth realistic than the fanciful flights of Luther[nb]which I did actually like[/nb] but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as gruesome as Red Riding[nb]which I also thought was pretty good[/nb].

My advice: watch the bloody thing.

Dr Syntax Head

I liked Luther despite it's ridiculousness. There was grimness to it that I liked, and the scenes of London were great.

I will just bloody watch it. Being a massive Wire fan i'm in the mood for some realistic police drama

Van Dammage

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 25, 2017, 02:44:39 PM
I liked Luther despite it's ridiculousness. There was grimness to it that I liked, and the scenes of London were great.

I will just bloody watch it. Being a massive Wire fan i'm in the mood for some realistic police drama

I felt there was a large improvement in season 2 and 3. If you don't feel it quite taking off in season 1 I'd recommend sticking with it for a bit.

Rocket Surgery

I've met a few people who felt a similar way about The Wire.

It definitely steps up a level later on, but it's well worth watching from the beginning. If nothing else, it helps to have a handle on the series-spanning story arc, which is still unfolding.

Phil_A

Ha, great double rug-pull in the last few minutes - Mercurio does it again! Absolutely no idea where this is going from here.

It totally fooled me as well, at first I thought "Are they really
Spoiler alert
killing off the guest star in episode one
[close]
again?" I should've known better by now.

studpuppet

Yeah, because as a Forensics Officer,
Spoiler alert
after 'killing' my victim, getting changed, taking a trip to my local Homebase, getting into a protective suit, and rolling the body onto some plastic sheeting, and plugging in my Black & Decker
[close]
I'd miss the fact that
Spoiler alert
her body was still warm and not at all stiff
[close]

Anyway if I was him I'd keep going and
Spoiler alert
'Harvey Dent'
[close]
her. It'd be a memorable start to Ep02...

Was the
Spoiler alert
supermarket manager from off of "Trollied" about to saw her head in half, top to bottom?  That's how it looked, which would surely be a waste of time, and dull the saw blade. They say "a bad workman blames his tools," well, Mr Humphries from out of off of "Are You Being Served" (the TV movie), maybe if you'd made wiser decisions on how best to dissect Sandy Neutron you wouldn't be in this mess, literally or figuratively.
[close]

Quincey

I thought Newton was excellent.

Van Dammage

So
Spoiler alert
Newton's Husband is balaclava man and forensic man has a balaclava on hand for the purpose of framing the actual balaclava man by standing in front of CCTV?
[close]

Mobius

did anyone find
Spoiler alert
Thandie banging her head a bit..off? Dunno if it was just weirdly filmed, but my first thought was she did it on purpose (was clearly egging the forensic bloke on to get him shitcanned for assaulting a copper) but perhaps went a bit far.

Her husband is a weird'un. She's being all coy around him too and his 'it's over now' sounded like 'I've finished now, sorry about that'

Interesting breakneck first episode. I hope it eventually ties into the story that's run through previous seasons - I assume so judging by Jamie from The Thick Of It still being a complete twat.
[close]

Van Dammage

Quote from: Mobius on March 27, 2017, 11:41:44 PM
did anyone find
Spoiler alert
Thandie banging her head a bit..off? Dunno if it was just weirdly filmed, but my first thought was she did it on purpose (was clearly egging the forensic bloke on to get him shitcanned for assaulting a copper) but perhaps went a bit far.

Her husband is a weird'un. She's being all coy around him too and his 'it's over now' sounded like 'I've finished now, sorry about that'

Interesting breakneck first episode. I hope it eventually ties into the story that's run through previous seasons - I assume so judging by Jamie from The Thick Of It still being a complete twat.
[close]

It definitely did look a bit oddly filmed. Also, on the husband,
Spoiler alert
He really did seem a bit dodgy and there was another odd shot where the camera lingered on the boot of his car for a while.
[close]

Did anyone else catch
Spoiler alert
the black car parking outside the forensic lads house after he buzzed Newton in?
[close]
. Looked like there might be something going on with it. EDIT : Fella on reddit said that the
Spoiler alert
car is like the one that her husband was driving earlier. I'll have to take a look.
[close]

Mobius

Quote from: Van Dammage on March 28, 2017, 12:16:01 AM
Did anyone else catch
Spoiler alert
the black car parking outside the forensic lads house after he buzzed Newton in?
[close]
. Looked like there might be something going on with it. EDIT : Fella on reddit said that the
Spoiler alert
car is like the one that her husband was driving earlier. I'll have to take a look.
[close]

Yeah I thought that was
Spoiler alert
the cleaner from the cafe as he'd mentioned her coming to size up his flat, and his panic was her arriving (which I assume he'd anticipated as he was cooking) at the same time as his boss which is why he was so keen to be rid of her.
[close]

Van Dammage

Quote from: Mobius on March 28, 2017, 12:44:34 AM
Yeah I thought that was
Spoiler alert
the cleaner from the cafe as he'd mentioned her coming to size up his flat, and his panic was her arriving (which I assume he'd anticipated as he was cooking) at the same time as his boss which is why he was so keen to be rid of her.
[close]

Spoiler alert
He didn't actually get the cleaner though, did he? I assumed he just wanted some of her DNA to compare with something from the scene and was just pretending. That's how I interpreted the bit where the camera lingers on her fingerprint as she hands him his drink. She was the escaped victim wasn't she? I doubt she drives a Merc as well.
[close]

I went back and screenshotted the two cars :

http://i.imgur.com/1lndmLC.png?1
Spoiler alert
Husbands
[close]

http://i.imgur.com/73k3Moc.png   
Spoiler alert
One that turns up outside the house
[close]

Mobius

Spoiler alert
Ah I didn't realise cafe girl was escape girl. I thought he was sizing up another target as they'd made mention the victims had similar appearances.

Definitely looks like her blokes car but she left her phone at home (presumably so as not to be triangulated..although if she had the intention of riling him up to get him fired.. that doesn't make much sense) so how did he know where she was!
[close]

This bloody show.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Mobius on March 28, 2017, 01:32:58 AM
Spoiler alert
Ah I didn't realise cafe girl was escape girl. I thought he was sizing up another target as they'd made mention the victims had similar appearances.

Definitely looks like her blokes car but she left her phone at home (presumably so as not to be triangulated..although if she had the intention of riling him up to get him fired.. that doesn't make much sense) so how did he know where she was!
[close]

This bloody show.

Spoiler alert
Cafe girl looked like she had a scar on her ear as well (from the earrings being ripped out I assume). I might be wrong though, I just assumed it was her because its mentioned that she works two jobs earlier when Newton is talking to Kate.
[close]

As for knowing where she was
Spoiler alert
I don't have a clue either. Husband did have a look at her phone after asking the children where she went but I have no idea how he might have found her using that. She even turned it off before leaving.
[close]