Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

With the old thread having reached 100 pages, it's time to start a new one.  So here it is.

Meanwhile, have the latest one of these:

Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 201?/??/??:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)

Threads about the old series, in chronological order of creation:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Second thread, 2011/01/14 - 2016/10/21)
Old Doctor Who - Part 3 (You're reading it now...)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order:
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)
Class (Doctor Who spin-off) series 1

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)
K9: Timequake (new movie coming 2017, allegedly)
Doctor Who or Chips? (addressing the burning issue of the day)

(See here for sources.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

purlieu

I just got a box of 18 Target novelisations in the post for less than £20.
On the downside, they're mostly by Terrance Dicks. But I'm dedicated to this now.
I've also 'located' a number of the expensive ones, which means this will all be a lot easier now that I don't have to shell out £100 for The Wheel in Space or So Vile a Sin.

Camp Tramp

I had the Wheel In Space, I scribbled in it when I ran out of notepaper.

Bad Ambassador

The new animated version of The Power of the Daleks is launching tomorrow, with the first going up at 5.50pm at the BBC Store. The first three minutes of it will also stream 'as live' via Periscope here. The remaining five episodes will be released daily.

The serial will be released on DVD on 21 November in a two-disc set, with the extras listed here.

Following that, a colour version will be available from the BBC Store from New Year's Eve, with a Blu-ray release containing both colour and black-and-white versions coming out on 6 February.

Power will be shown in selected cinemas in the US on 14 November, followed by a weekly run on BBC America from the 19th. The colour version will be available through BBCA's site in December, with both versions on a DVD from Barnes & Noble from 24 January.

In Australia, Power will run in selected cinemas for a week from 12 November, with the DVD released on 14 December.

Canada and New Zealand are also having cinema showings, with DVD dates presumably being the same as the US and Australia respectively.

Deanjam

Already pre-ordered the DVD so the digital version can bugger off. So can the colour (urgh) version to be honest. I can wait a couple of weeks more.

Replies From View

Already ordered the DVD as well, and I'm completely uninterested in seeing it in colour.  I can't see why a high definition Blu Ray release would be worthwhile, unless it's crammed with more extras not on the DVD.

Small Man Big Horse

It's a shame they're not doing a few more UK cinema screenings instead of just the one at the bfi, as I'd love to see it that way, but I guess they think they can make more money doing it this way over here. But they're wrong, instead of paying to see it on the big screen I shall now be illegally downloading it. And then donating that money to drug lords. That'll teach them.

Replies From View

I like these.  They're aimed at children, but they're in the same spirit as the Blue Peter Doctor Who presentations from when we were kids, so manage to create a nostalgic feeling even though they're talking about new things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qGWarveIuQ

The Doctor Who Fan Show on The Power of the Daleks, including a short interview with the producer of the animation.

Deanjam

WHY ARE THEY SO YOUNG!!!

*weeps*

Replies From View

purlieu

Haha fucking hell who wants a colour version

mjwilson

I've no objection to a colour version. Since the Blu Ray has both, I'll wait until that one comes out.

Malcy

Interested in seeing a colour version. Dunno whether to grab this next week (not paying BBC Store) or just wait for the DVD. Defo gonna watch Tenth Planet before though.

Deanjam

Ambient Sheep

Yeah, because that will encourage them to make more of these, won't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 05, 2016, 03:51:12 PM
Yeah, because that will encourage them to make more of these, won't it?

This.  Download the fan-made tele-snap reconstructions of missing episodes to your heart's content, but animation studios seem to suffer massive losses whenever they work on these Doctor Who releases, and paying for them is the least you can do.

Replies From View

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on November 05, 2016, 04:00:02 PM
This.  Download the fan-made tele-snap reconstructions of missing episodes to your heart's content, but animation studios seem to suffer massive losses whenever they work on these Doctor Who releases, and paying for them is the least you can do.

I don't know what the "This" was, as it appears that a post has been deleted.

My position is fairly simple, I think.

I will pay, happily, for a DVD release of old Doctor Who if it contains content I am interested in.

I am interested in seeing the animation of PoTD on DVD, so I have preordered the DVD.

I'm not interested that much in 'owning' content from a digital perspective, so I can wait for that until I get the DVD.  I hope the DVD shelving is consistent with the rest of the Classic Who range.

I've liked the animations I've seen so far, but only enough to buy a DVD with them on.

If animation studios make losses, then that's somebody else's problem.  I just buy what I want.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on November 04, 2016, 05:23:48 PM
I can't see why a high definition Blu Ray release would be worthwhile, unless it's crammed with more extras not on the DVD.

1. High definition
2. Bonus Colour version
3. Gorgeous looking steelbook : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5KNNUG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1478373733&sr=8-5

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on November 05, 2016, 07:26:58 PM
1. High definition
2. Bonus Colour version
3. Gorgeous looking steelbook : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5KNNUG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1478373733&sr=8-5

1)  The animation isn't going to benefit from an astonishing level of detail, I assume.  It's nice and everything, but not something that needs to be extremely sharp.
2)  For me, this story is to plug a gap of missing black and white episodes.  The animation has been built around filling that gap sensitively, with camera angles, sets, actor blocking and editing closely resembling what would have been done in 1966.  Everyone has different tastes, but I can't get my head around including a colour version of this any more than colourising Laurel and Hardy.  Your link reveals that the Blu-ray is £10 more expensive than the DVD, so it's an expensive 'bonus'.
3)  Fair enough regarding the appearance of the steelbook, but my discs will be removed from their case anyway and put with the other Classic Who DVDs I store in one of those massive DVD wallet things.

I could be won around if the Blu-ray includes extra features not on the DVD, but I don't have a Blu-ray player anyway.

weekender

I've been thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player, but no arguments here or elsewhere are making me commit.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on November 05, 2016, 07:41:10 PM
2)  For me, this story is to plug a gap of missing black and white episodes.  The animation has been built around filling that gap sensitively, with camera angles, sets, actor blocking and editing closely resembling what would have been done in 1966.

On those grounds, you could just as well argue against it being release in widescreen.
(If the original Power got returned, I wouldn't be interested in it being colourised. But since it's a newly created version, it doesn't seem like a problem to me.)

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on November 06, 2016, 08:19:29 AM
On those grounds, you could just as well argue against it being release in widescreen.

I'll have to check previous animations but I'm fairly sure they're 4:3 to match the episodes.  I certainly don't recall them suddenly pinging to widescreen.  Mind you, The Power of the Daleks doesn't have any surviving episodes to match.

Norton Canes

Well what do you know, the annual Gallifrey Base Top Three Tournament - where members of the internet's favourite Doctor Who message board engage in a protracted knockout-based voting process to find their all-time favourite story - has once again reached its climactic final round.

The following stories are in with a shout of taking the coveted top spot:

The War Games
City of Death
The Caves of Androzani
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Human Nature/The Family of Blood
Heaven Sent

Last year's winner, Pertwee parallel universe thriller Inferno was a surprise exit at the semi-final stage this time round; as were six Philip Hinchcliffe stories, making this the first ever Hinchcliffe-free final. Heaven Sent is the only story never to have won the tournament.

Voters choose their three favourite stories, in order of preference (1st, 2nd, 3rd) from the list. Their first choice receives three points, their second receives two and their third receives one.

Deanjam

Blinder Data

Heaven Sent was brilliant. Probably the greatest episode of New Who: a perfect marriage of writer, director and Doctor. It thoroughly deserves to be in the GOAT list. It will date much better than The Empty Child, for one thing.

So ner ner you're wrong

Norton Canes

Heaven Sent was excellent up to the faintly risible timey-wimey not-as-clever-as-it-thinks typically Moffat resolution.

Anyway I'm putting The Caves of Androzani in first place, I always do. The War Games second, then maybe The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

weekender

How can Inferno not win this every year?

What did it lose to?

Anyway, out of what's left I'd go for The War Games, if I could be bothered voting on GB that is[nb]I can't bring my self to even post on there anymore, just because of that prick Pariscub and his completely arbitrary rules on the missing episodes thread.[/nb].

Malcy

Quote from: weekender on November 10, 2016, 06:59:27 PM
How can Inferno not win this every year?

What did it lose to?

Anyway, out of what's left I'd go for The War Games, if I could be bothered voting on GB that is[nb]I can't bring my self to even post on there anymore, just because of that prick Pariscub and his completely arbitrary rules on the missing episodes thread.[/nb].

Pariscub is a prick. Constant rule reminders and such. Get a life man. There was a guy called Fanny posting spoilers there recently. He got fed up of him and said Pariscub 'took it up the arse and enjoyed it' or some such. Sure i took a screenshot i laughed so much. Was good to see someone just say whatever they felt rather than the usual crap of apologising to bunch of idiots who love their little kingdom of 70 odd thousand Who fans. I rarely post on the Who threads. The non-Who threads can be bad enough!

Anyway...

Out of the remaining stories on the list i'd have to choose between either The War Games or Caves Of Androzani. 2 fantastic stories each with their own merits. On saying that there are a lot of other stories i enjoy the same so choosing one outright is too hard. Glad to see Genesis Of The Daleks isn't in the running for a change. It's good but massively overrated.

Heaven Sent is really good as well though. Rewatched it as part of the last 3 eps of the last series. Bar a few Moffat esque things it's brilliant. Capaldi is superb and the score is very like Paddy Kingsland's of the 80's.