Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on April 03, 2018, 01:45:53 PM
Oh and Dicks made Four to Doomsday even less interesting than its TV version.

I hope he gives the cricket ball scene the air of office-chair-in-space it deserves.

purlieu

Divided Loyalties was a bit bonkers. Heavy on back-story and mythology, it features some bits and bobs that I know will be explored properly in the NAs & EDAs - the Lovecraftian Great Old Ones, stuff about Lungbarrow - in a story about the Celestial Toymaker which features a lengthy flashback to the Doctor's days at the Academy with his friends The Master, The Rani, the Meddling Monk, the War Chief and a few others (all of whom now have proper names). Every chapter is name after an OMD song. I'm very fond of these kind of stories so I enjoyed it a lot.

purlieu

I never found Black Orchid a particularly engaging whodunnit, but fucking hell turning the two-parter into one of the longest Targets to date made it even more tedious. About thirty pages detailing all the different hits and runs The Doctor made while playing cricket. That was a slog and a half.

purlieu

Earthshock given relatively restrained treatment by Ian Marter, although I enjoyed his description of the victims of the Cybermen attack as 'pulped human bodies', and regular references to the Cybermen having oil-scented breath.
Time-Flight was ever so slightly less annoying on paper than on screen, but still a pretty pointless story that almost single-handedly ruins Ainley's Master in only his third story. I think, he had only been used in Logopolis, Castrovalva, The King's Demons, Planet of Fire and Survival, I'd find his incarnation enjoyable, but his turns up so frequently with such shit plans that I got totally sick of him. And imagine what a surprise it would be in Survival, having not seen him for five seasons.

Norton Canes

When we moved house once back in the 80's all my stuff was in boxes for a week and the only book I had was Time-Flight. Must have read it through about a dozen times.

Replies From View

Replies From View

The new Doctor Who logo will be appearing on Big Finish releases soon.  This one will be out in July, several months before series 11 is broadcast.

QuoteBig Finish have released the artwork for their new release for the continuing adventures of the Eighth Doctor in the Time War. The Time War 2 boxset is released in July and will be one of the first releases to feature the new Doctor Who logo.

As it's one of the only aspects of the new series that has been released a lot of focus has been given to the logo. And now, we will be seeing it a lot more often. Soon it will start to appear on other Big Finish Doctor Who releases. This is the first time that Big Finish will have the same branding as the current television series.

"We're really excited about this brand new look for our productions," says executive producer Nick Briggs. "It's the first major change to our cover layout since 2006, and for me it feels as though it unifies all Doctor Who productions nicely in the same Doctor Who family."

The artwork for The Time War 2 is by Tom Webster and can be seen here.

https://www.blogtorwho.com/new-logo-for-big-finish-doctor-who-range/

Alberon

Why has a picture of Julia Mckenzie been photoshopped in next to the Ogron?

Alberon

Oh yes, so she is. I was just looking at the top credits

Replies From View

She's one of Jon Pertwee's favourites.  Human eyes = human emotion.

purlieu

Quotefor me it feels as though it unifies all Doctor Who productions nicely in the same Doctor Who family.
It will do until six or seven years time, when it'll be unnecessarily out of date.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on April 22, 2018, 10:44:42 AM
It will do until six or seven years time, when it'll be unnecessarily out of date.

Correct.  Also it's making the brand new logo feel old and familiar before the series 11 opening titles have introduced it.

I for one think the new logo is shite.

Replies From View

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 22, 2018, 12:00:31 PM
I for one think the new logo is shite.

Outright shite?  What do you dislike about it?

Its too thin, font wise. In my mind the Doctor should have a nice Thick font.

maett

Quote from: Replies From View on April 22, 2018, 12:01:33 PM
Outright shite?  What do you dislike about it?
ripped off Game of Thrones

Replies From View

Because of the extended T of 'Thrones'?

Norton Canes

I don't mind the thinness, the 'H' and 'O' in particular look like they're made out of bent wire, which seems very Doctor Who ish.

Norton Canes

Just a heads up that the latest DWM Special Edition, 'In The Studio', has a classic 'Jenna Coleman trying desperately hard to emote' shot on the cover...

Norton Canes

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I saw Louise Jameson in a production of 'Vincent River' a couple of weeks ago at the Park Theatre in Finsbury. It was fantastic and she was absolutely electrifying. The run's finished now but there's a rumour it might transfer to another London venue so if you see it advertised do get tickets, it's a must-see.

Oh and I spoke to her for a couple of minutes in the bar afterwards. Sigh.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 26, 2018, 10:42:44 AM
Just a heads up that the latest DWM Special Edition, 'In The Studio', has a classic 'Jenna Coleman trying desperately hard to emote' shot on the cover...

Fuck's sake.  DON'T CRACK YOUR MAKE-UP COLEMAN, WHATEVER YOU DO.

Ruined Capaldi's tenure.  (I'm obviously still not over that.)

Deanjam

Yes she's terrible. Horrible character. Horrible actress. Danny Pink? Horrible. Cyber Brigadier? Horrible. Moon laying space beast? Horrible. Doctor in sunglasses? Horrible. Adric? Horrible.

purlieu

Quote from: Deanjam on April 26, 2018, 04:04:31 PM
Adric? Horrible.
I'm trudging through the really quite dull novel Empire of Death (Victorian boy can supposedly speak to the dead, met by the dream team of Davison + Nyssa, ugh) and this makes the second story in a row since he died that Adric has returned, in hallucination or ghost form. Just fuck off!

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on April 26, 2018, 05:19:55 PM
I'm trudging through the really quite dull novel Empire of Death (Victorian boy can supposedly speak to the dead, met by the dream team of Davison + Nyssa, ugh) and this makes the second story in a row since he died that Adric has returned, in hallucination or ghost form. Just fuck off!

Adric Liiiiiiiives!

Alberon

Norton Canes

DWM 525

QuoteDoctor Who Magazine - Issue 525 looks into those scenes from Doctor Who that are Missing in Action

Not everything that's filmed and recorded for Doctor Who makes it to the screen. The new issue of Doctor Who Magazine reveals details of numerous scenes that have been cut, including major sequences that have been lost forever.

Also in this issue...

MICHELLE RYAN An exclusive interview with Michelle about the return of glamorous cat burglar Lady Christina.
WILL OSWALD Editor Will Oswald started working on Doctor Who in 2007 and has been responsible for many missing scenes, as well as initiating new material.
THE TIME TEAM The Time Team has regenerated – just in time to revisit landmark episodes from the series' history.
OUT OF THE TARDIS Janet Fielding, who played air hostess Tegan, answers questions from the TARDIS tin.
THE DOCTOR'S SCARF Musician and illustrator Jamie Lenman goes on a cosplay mission to recreate the most iconic item from the Doctor's wardrobe.
NEW FACES Behind the scenes at the launches of the Second, Third and Fourth Doctors.
THE FACT OF FICTION Exploring the hidden depths of the 2009 Easter Special Planet of the Dead.
THE CLOCKWISE WAR Part three of a new comic strip adventure written by Scott Gray and illustrated by John Ross.
PLUS... The Blogs of Doom, news, previews, book and audio reviews, prize-winning competitions and much more

Nice cover. Interested to know about the missing scenes.

Norton Canes

Also...

QuoteIn an exclusive deal with Sainsbury's supermarket, Doctor Who: Energy of the Daleks, produced by Big Finish Productions, will be available for the first time on vinyl record.

From the 25th May, Sainsbury's will be stocking a strictly limited pressing of 'Energy Of the Daleks' on blue 180GM Heavyweight Vinyl. This will be available in participating stores only, limited to 1,500 units.

A spokesperson from Sainsbury's saidWe're really excited to be stocking something as iconic as the Doctor in our stores, so to have "Energy of The Daleks" on a limited run on blue vinyl is a massive treat for us.
The Daleks take on Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor in this Doctor Who full-cast audio drama from 2012, which takes place between The Talons of Weng-Chiang and Horror of Fang Rock, both broadcast on BBC One in 1977.

Whoever thought there'd be a day when a limited edition 180GM vinyl pressing of a Big Finish Doctor Who story would be released in Sainsbos? Crazy times.

Replies From View

I bet Asda get angry whenever Sainsbury's say that they will be doing an offer exclusively for themselves.

Deanjam

Energy of the Daleks is a terrible title.