Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Montage of the Daleks

Collage of the Daleks

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on May 05, 2018, 07:04:03 PM
Was going to suggest The Weakest Link of the Daleks, but I suppose we've had that.

Forgot about that.

purlieu

Parking Space of the Daleks
Shopping List of the Daleks
The Very Best of the Daleks

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on May 05, 2018, 09:04:14 PM
The Very Best of the Daleks

Alan Partridge's favourite episode.

Midlife Crisis of the Daleks,
Dicks of the Daleks.

Replies From View

Terry Wogan of the Daleks

Attila

Small and Far Away of the Daleks

daf

Doctor Who in a Boring Adventure with The Sensorites

Deanjam

How Dare You Insult the Sensorites You Philistine of the Daleks.

GoodSpicey

Quote from: Deanjam on May 06, 2018, 03:45:55 PM
How Dare You Insult the Sensorites You Philistine of the Daleks.

Quoted for truth of the Daleks.....

...... From Space.

Bad Ambassador

There's a novelization of Doctor Who Meets Scratchman coming out next year, adapted by no one's favourite writer, James Goss.

If you don't know, it's an unproduced film script co-written by Tom Baker with the Devil as the villain. It's exactly as nonsensical as that sounds.

Eric Saward must still not be playing ball.

The Roofdog

They should call it by its New Series title, Doctor Who and the Scratchman Pit.

purlieu

I've enjoyed Goss's Adams novelisations, it'll be interesting to see what he does with a story that isn't Adams-era Who.

Bad Ambassador

From Wiki:

During spare time in filming, Tom Baker and Ian Marter (who played Harry Sullivan in the series and later novelised several Doctor Who scripts for Target Books) wrote a script for a Doctor Who film, Doctor Who meets Scratchman. The script, sometimes titled Doctor Who and the Big Game, saw the Doctor encounter the Daleks, meet the Devil known as Harry Scratch or Scratchman, robots known as Cybors, scarecrows made from bones, the Greek god Pan, and at times Vincent Price and Twiggy were associated with the production to play as the villain Harry Scratch and a possible new female companion after Elisabeth Sladen left the TV series. The finale of the film was to have taken place on a giant pinball table, with the Doctor, Harry and Sarah dodging balls as well as battling Daleks on the board. During his tenure as the Fourth Doctor, Baker repeatedly tried to attract funding for the film. At one point, he received substantial donations from fans, but after taking legal advice was forced to return them. The plans were eventually dropped.

They'll start working their way through the various unmade 80s-90s movie scripts next.

purlieu

Yes, although I've enjoyed the last few, it would be nice if our one Classic Who novel a year was an original story in the future.

Snatched this from an old Doctor Who Magazine.

Shame there was no Kickstarter in 1977, eh? I can't imagine this would've turned out well but I still wish it existed.

daf

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on May 11, 2018, 01:53:58 AM
I can't imagine this would've turned out well but I still wish it existed.

Maybe Big Finish could make a version of it with 'WPC Ann Kelso'? *

- - - - - - - - - -
* (their new post Leela / pre Romana I 1978 based companion)

Replies From View

Animated version after that too, please.

purlieu

Books!
Empire of Death remained dull, despite the odd interesting moment and a genuine intriguing concept. But an underwritten Davison paired with Nyssa can't carry a book.
Arc of Infinity did nothing to improve on the TV version and was a shit way to mark my 200th Who novel.
Fear of the Dark was two-thirds a really good Lovecraftian horror story about a powerful entity from before the creation of the universe, followed by a third of dull action stuff, as these things often seem to be. Captured Davison's Doctor perfectly, though.
Now onto Zeta Major. Wasn't expecting a sequel to Planet of Evil, but here we go. It's started out pretty bold.

Bad Ambassador

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/doctor%20who/any/any/any/any/0/any/any/any/any/2018/any/any?advanced=true

In lieu of any official announcement, here's the BBFC classfications of the new extras on the Season 12 Blu-ray set. I think a few are missing, but there a lot of good stuff here.

Malcy

Twitch are streaming every classic episode in a marathon starting next Tuesday.

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on May 16, 2018, 10:07:54 PM
Now onto Zeta Major. Wasn't expecting a sequel to Planet of Evil, but here we go. It's started out pretty bold.
Well that was tedious, plodding and convoluted. Not quite knowing who's on whose side is fine if the two sides aren't populated by one-dimensional characters who barely get any time and are mostly seen in minutes from meetings.

Next in the 'Fourth Doctor stories with unnecessary Fifth Doctor sequel novels' is The Sands of Time, which appears to be a sequel to The Androids of Mars.

Malcy

Sat watching Fred Dineage's Murders That Shocked The Nation. Telling the story of John Haigh the acid bath murderer when all of a sudden Richard Franklin aka Captain. Mike Yates gets interviewed! His aunt was nearly a victim.

Anyone seen other Who stars in unexpected places?

I've decided that I'm going to rewatch the Pertwee era in the next few weeks. I went to watch Inferno the other day but couldn't find my DVD. So going to order another one and the few others I'm missing.

Bad Ambassador

Nicola Bryant in a life insurance commercial.

Norton Canes

Colin Baker in another TV show.

The only Pertwee I haven't watched on DVD is Colony In Space. Should make the effort I guess.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on May 31, 2018, 01:44:16 AM
Anyone seen other Who stars in unexpected places?

This isn't unexpected, as I heard about it in a Pertwee interview and actively sought it out on DVD, but its very existence was unexpected to me until that:  Jon Pertwee in a crime mystery quiz called "Whodunnit".

I like to tell myself it slots into the Third Doctor canon somewhere.  Most likely between The Green Death and The Time Warrior.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 31, 2018, 09:23:01 AM
The only Pertwee I haven't watched on DVD is Colony In Space. Should make the effort I guess.

Any particular reason?  It's not the worst he was in.

Norton Canes

No reason really, it just kind of drifted to the bottom of the list. Love Mac Hulke's novelisation so I'm sure it has its merits.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on May 31, 2018, 09:52:47 AM
This isn't unexpected, as I heard about it in a Pertwee interview and actively sought it out on DVD, but its very existence was unexpected to me until that:  Jon Pertwee in a crime mystery quiz called "Whodunnit".

I like to tell myself it slots into the Third Doctor canon somewhere.  Most likely between The Green Death and The Time Warrior.

Did you find it? Sounds good. Pertwee was such an entertaining man. Have you heard the 2 hr life story on stage thing he done? Was broadcast on BBC as an edited down Hour With Jon Pertwee. Superb.

I was looking at my DVD's and saw Colony In Space and struggled to think what happens in it. That was what helped prompt a Pertwee era rewatch. It's by far my favourite era. It's the one I watched first at 3/4 on the UK Gold omnibus repeats.

Malcy

Speaking of Colony In Space...