Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on December 29, 2018, 10:38:31 AM
I have three still in boxes: The Beginning (lovely heavy-weight box), and the Key / Trial box sets. The rest I dumped though.

Why not keep the boxes, but turn them to face the wall with other DVDs in them?  Is it because it's a pain to pull out two or three DVDs at once when you just want one?

Me, I lack shelf space but have kept all the DVD cases and cardboard sleeves in a cupboard somewhere.  All the discs are in sequence in mighty album style sleeves:  one for the 60s, one for the 70s, one for the 80s plus the TV Movie and Scream of the Shalka, and one for 2005-2017 (ten series worth).

It's good.

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on December 29, 2018, 10:48:23 AM
Why not keep the boxes, but turn them to face the wall with other DVDs in them?
I didn't think much about it at the time, just got rid of them as they were just flimsy cardboard anyway and didn't serve much purpose. I do the same for most CDs that come in slipcases.

I was just looking at my stack of DVDs and thinking about future BR releases. I reckon the last one to be released will be season 3, as that has the fewest surviving stories (only three DVD releases to date). 1 & 6 will be the first '60s ones released, as they are almost complete and feature some of the most iconic moments. 2 will be the biggest space-saver, going down from eight DVDs to one boxset. I wonder how 4 and 21 are going to be marketed, especially in the US where they're released as "Tom Baker season 1" etc. "William Hartnell season 4 / Patrick Troughton season 1" is a bit awkward.

Some more ponderances... will the movie be reissued on BR with the Whittaker logo? When and where will Scream of the Shalka and More than 30 Years in the TARDIS appear? Will Shada be in the 17 box?

Back to books

This was a pleasant enough romp. Seven and Ace investigate a care home where aliens seem to be curing Alzheimers. Some nice atmosphere, a generally decent plot with some nice twists. The pacing is a bit off and it features some UNIT angst which is totally out of place, but otherwise a good read. Seven and Ace are written perfectly. Nice to have a new adventure after a long trawl of Targets, too.

I recently started working through the massive stack of non-Who books I've acquired in the past couple of years so for the moment I'm reading fewer of these, but I'll be on to Ghost Light next week no doubt.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on December 29, 2018, 11:58:55 AM
2 will be the biggest space-saver, going down from eight DVDs to one boxset.

I'm guessing the missing stories will be animated as much as possible.  They're seemingly getting season 4 done in this way first.

Replies From View

Ah, sorry - I misunderstood the point you were making there.

Deanjam

Watched some of the season 19 blu ray last night. On the behind the sofa bit Peter Davison asks if they are watching one of his seasons. When told yes he replies, with relief "Oh Good. I though it might be one of Colins'!"

I laughed and laughed.

Deanjam

Janet Fielding: "And now we come to Earthshock. A story with a very happy ending."
Matthew Waterhouse: "For me ... I didn't have to be in Time Flight."

Har har.

Replies From View

Of course the joke is on him, because in order to keep Adric's death a secret JNT wanted to make sure Waterhouse appeared in the next week's Radio Times - which meant he did have to be in Time-Flight!

kidsick5000

It looks like Twitch is about to stream Doctor Who again from Jan 5
https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

Norton Canes

Probably not the best thing to watch if you're after a light-hearted start to the working week but here's Toby Hadoke's Doctor Who In Memoriam 2018, "Remembering those people from the world of Doctor Who who we lost this year."

As you would expect from Mr Hadoke it is phenomenally comprehensive. Though you may want to watch with the sound down as his music choices are pretty egregious.

Replies From View

Better quality audio of some of the missing episodes has been unearthed:

http://m.doctorwhonews.net/2019/01/randolph-tapes.html

Alberon

We always go on about the missing episodes, but we are really very lucky that we have audio of all of them. And the fact that a lot of that audio is of such good quality is a real bonus.

We could easily just have scripts of many of the lost episodes.

mjwilson

And similarly, although some fans have become tired of Phil Morris not telling us everything he knows, the recovery of Enemy and (almost all of) Web was a bigger find than I ever expected to see again.

Norton Canes

Happy Birthday William Hartnell, born today in 1908

Tonight seems the perfect night to polish off the last two episodes of The Gunfighters I've been meaning to get round to.

Replies From View

I wonder how much cake he will eat

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 08, 2019, 12:27:57 PM
The Gunfighters

It's a Musical!
It's a Comedy!
It's a Western!
It's a Musical Comedy Western!!!

Amazing to think this was once considered the NADIR of all Doctor Who stories, and The Celestial Toymaker * the best - the crazy fools!

- - - - - - - - - - -
* where we alternate between the companions playing party games, and the Doctor's disembodied hand moving some wooden blocks around for four bum-numbing weeks . . . shoot me now Doc Holliday!)

Alberon

Oh, and don't forget the gratuitous use of the N-word as well in The Celestial Toymaker.

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on December 30, 2018, 12:32:51 AM
Of course the joke is on him, because in order to keep Adric's death a secret JNT wanted to make sure Waterhouse appeared in the next week's Radio Times - which meant he did have to be in Time-Flight!

Just watched Time-Flight for the first time in donkey's years and the little prick is actually in the story!

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 09, 2019, 05:08:46 PM
Just watched Time-Flight for the first time in donkey's years and the little prick is actually in the story!

Exactly!  I don't lie you know!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Alberon on January 08, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
Oh, and don't forget the gratuitous use of the N-word as well in The Celestial Toymaker

One of the estimable classic series analysts - Sandifer, I think, or it might have been Miles - also draws our attention to the definition of Celestial as 'eastern' or 'Chinese' and basically accuses the Toymaker of being a yellowface parody.

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 09, 2019, 05:46:56 PM
One of the estimable classic series analysts - Sandifer, I think, or it might have been Miles - also draws our attention to the definition of Celestial as 'eastern' or 'Chinese' and basically accuses the Toymaker of being a yellowface parody.

Sandifer.

Watched the one episode in one of the Lost in Time sets, and its a bit ... "the thwarter has become the thwartee".

As an aside, the Christopher Lee Fu Manchu films date to approximately the same time. God, when Twitter stumble across them ...

gatchamandave

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 09, 2019, 06:25:05 PM
Sandifer.

Watched the one episode in one of the Lost in Time sets, and its a bit ... "the thwarter has become the thwartee".

As an aside, the Christopher Lee Fu Manchu films date to approximately the same time. God, when Twitter stumble across them ...

It falls down because

1.Michael Gough does NOT play the part in yellow face or do a " me velly solly" voice.

2. Sandifer quotes from the novelisation that the Toymaker owned Chinese property, wore Chinese clothes and sat behind a Chinese desk, therefore he's supposed to be Chinese, and as "Celestial" is an insult - because Sandifer had obviously seen Deadwood - then Gerry Davis deliberately wrote avracist script and thus a racist novelisation...

...only Gerry Davis didn't write the novelisation, according to The Target Book by Steve Lyons, but granted permission for his name to be attached to it.

Its one of her higher profile...um...redemptive readings (sic) but it doesn't hold water.

purlieu

Her point has never realistically stretched beyond "we were sometimes a bit shit about foreigners back in the day". Which is pretty redundant if you're voicing it as if it's a radical new realisation.

Norton Canes

Just re-read that Sandifer piece on The Celestial Toymaker. Thin, verging on desperate, stuff. "He's playing the role in obvious yellowface"...

Hmm. (Admittedly these are photos taken on set rather than stills, so maybe not from actual recorded scenes so perhaps he had more make-up for the actual takes, also I presume they haven't been colourised)

Anyway even more hilarious is the Sandifer take on the previous story, The Ark. Yes, the Monoids are portrayed unsympathetically as incompetent native types. But this...

"But the real problem is that once you see it, you see what was going on in the rest of John Wiles's tenure. It starts with a seemingly inoccuous detail - that the Monoids have Beatles haircuts. The Beatles, of course, are the icon of youth culture. It's very, very difficult to come up with a reading of the decision to make the irredeemable savages have Beatles haircuts as anything other than a savage condemnation of youth culture"

Yeah.

Bad Ambassador

Regarding that absurd yellowface claim, it could be that she's mistaking Gough's slightly unusual natural features for a white actor in make-up, not unlike Michael McIntyre.

Norton Canes

As it's a slow news day, why not have a go at this, from the official Doctor Who FB page...

"Happy National Hat Day! Celebrate with a selection of 50 true hats that have been sported in Doctor Who... and one fake. Can you spot it?"

Replies From View

Random companion and Missy ones bundled in there for some reason?

Norton Canes

Bad Ambassador

daf

Jodie's second hat? - I don't remember seeing that one.

Norton Canes

Haven't looked at the answer but I reckon you're both wrong...