Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

They could be placeholder covers.

Deanjam

If you flick between the two images it's like the Dalek weapon effect in the classic series.

Deanjam

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2019, 12:20:15 PM
If you flick between the two images it's like the Dalek weapon effect in the classic series.

Why have they made beer mats of it?

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 19, 2019, 12:55:24 PM
Why have they made beer mats of it?

Because they make more sense if you read them drunk.

purlieu

I'm trying to imagine what led to those designs. Like... the series of creative decisions made that resulted in such completely ill-fitting nonsense.

"Shall we do them to continue the series of new Target-style books we started last year?"
"Nah, let's make them look like 1950s soap packaging instead"

mjwilson

I mean, at least make the Dalek bigger.

pigamus

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2019, 12:24:03 PM
These are nicer

Oh, those are fantastic. Are they Alister Pearson?

Deanjam

Quote from: pigamus on January 19, 2019, 04:09:08 PM
Oh, those are fantastic. Are they Alister Pearson?

The one on the right is by Lee Binding. I don't know the other.

Quote from: purlieu on January 19, 2019, 01:13:06 PM
I'm trying to imagine what led to those designs. Like... the series of creative decisions made that resulted in such completely ill-fitting nonsense.

"Shall we do them to continue the series of new Target-style books we started last year?"
"Nah, let's make them look like 1950s soap packaging instead"

I think these are the hardback covers though.  They might later be reprinted as paperbacks with Target-style covers, as with City of Death.

Norton Canes

Is this the one where Reece Shearsmith played the Doctor?

Only kidding, excellent cover. Did he do one for Revelation?

purlieu

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 19, 2019, 05:00:48 PM
I think these are the hardback covers though.  They might later be reprinted as paperbacks with Target-style covers, as with City of Death.
City of Death was done as a normal paperback with the same cover as the hardback. The Target-style one came later on (and is an abridged version).
I mean, the City of Death and Pirate Planet covers weren't great, but they were a thousand times better than these.

I'm really hoping the BBC start doing some original classic-era novels again. They promised there'd be more, but after the first three it's just been novelisations of Douglas Adams stories, and now Scratchman, plus, bizarrely, one each for the Tenth Doctor and Eleventh Doctor. Let's just have some new stories BBC, aye?

Quote from: purlieu on January 19, 2019, 11:06:17 PM
City of Death was done as a normal paperback with the same cover as the hardback. The Target-style one came later on (and is an abridged version).

Yeah, I knew that, my point was that it later got reprinted as a Target-style paperback - and it is edited, but then the original would have been a lot longer than a Target.  Ought to try and check how much got edited out sometime I suppose.

Norton Canes

The question is, which Eric Saward scripted these? The Eric Saward who wrote The Visitation as a very straightforward and utterly mundane adaptation of the story as transmitted, or the Eric Saward who attempted to channel Douglas Adams with a bizarre version of The Twin Dilemma that went of on all kinds of unrelated tangents?

purlieu

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 20, 2019, 07:02:36 AM
Yeah, I knew that, my point was that it later got reprinted as a Target-style paperback - and it is edited, but then the original would have been a lot longer than a Target.  Ought to try and check how much got edited out sometime I suppose.
But then the Targets of the new episodes are mostly longer than the classic 120-140 page ones too (but I get where you're coming from).
Quote from: Norton Canes on January 20, 2019, 10:45:28 AM
The question is, which Eric Saward scripted these? The Eric Saward who wrote The Visitation as a very straightforward and utterly mundane adaptation of the story as transmitted, or the Eric Saward who attempted to channel Douglas Adams with a bizarre version of The Twin Dilemma that went of on all kinds of unrelated tangents?
The latter I hope. I've seen a lot of criticism for his Adams-aping in the Twin Dilemma and Slipback novelisations, but I think they're pretty entertaining to be honest, and frankly far more entertaining than either story has the right to be. I'd imagine these new ones are going to be 300-400 page books: whether this will mean Resurrection is better explained or more convoluted remains to be seen; it's also possible that The Doctor and Peri will actually be relevant to the plot of Revelation this time. I'm looking forward to them, either way, daft covers aside.

Malcy

pigamus

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 16, 2019, 10:57:52 AM
I do quite often agree with Sandifer but when I disagree I really disagree.

Well, she did call Kill the Moon the greatest Doctor Who story of all time. Which... no.

Norton Canes

Apropos nothing in particular, here's a still I'd not seen before from The Unquiet Dead. It is nice.

Though The Quiet Undead was unremarkable as a story, I remember thinking at the time "Wow, this looks good."

daf

Quick heads up on the season 19 blu ray set - it went out of stock recently on Amazon, but is currently back in.

It's likely to go out of print pretty pronto - so if you want it - GET IT NOW *

- - - - - - -
* (if you think £39.99 is too expensive, Season 12 is around £300-£350 on ebay - so it will never be any cheaper!)

Norton Canes

It just struck me, did Chris Chibnall regularly write editorials for the Monthly, like his predecessors? I glanced at the latest one and it wasn't him, did he do many at all? And if he did... look, I might as well ask... were they any good?

purlieu

A pretty good job as a novelisation, quite fleshed out, lots of nice turns of phrase, an 'Ace burning Gabriel Chase' prologue. But a lot of the appeal of the TV version is in the look and atmosphere of it, which is lost in this adaptation. So overall very good, but not a patch on the TV version.

Phil_A

Huh. Apparently the Scratchman novelisation "written" by Tom Baker is almost entirely the work of James Goss, not that you'd know that from the cover. False advertising?

Alberon

Quote from: Phil_A on January 24, 2019, 07:02:55 PM
Huh. Apparently the Scratchman novelisation "written" by Tom Baker is almost entirely the work of James Goss, not that you'd know that from the cover. False advertising?

Not too surprised to be honest. I always thought it'd be a bit like William Shatner's books which are all ghostwritten.

purlieu

Early on it was advertised as a Tom Baker / James Goss book (much like the Krikkitmen novel being an Adams / Goss book), but the latter's name seems to have disappeared from the marketing in recent times, which confused me a tad.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on January 24, 2019, 08:42:05 PM
Not too surprised to be honest. I always thought it'd be a bit like William Shatner's books which are all ghostwritten.

I assumed the same. Tom, like the Shat, would have story input and ideas of a general direction they want it to go and then someone else does the proper writing.

I'm sure Goss got a few quid if they wanted to just have Tom's name on it. Odd though. The Garfield-Stevens always had their names on the Shatner books albeit in smaller font.

Replies From View

pigamus

Quote from: purlieu on January 24, 2019, 05:46:09 PM

A pretty good job as a novelisation, quite fleshed out, lots of nice turns of phrase, an 'Ace burning Gabriel Chase' prologue. But a lot of the appeal of the TV version is in the look and atmosphere of it, which is lost in this adaptation. So overall very good, but not a patch on the TV version.

People say the TV version is incomprehensible - is the novel clearer?

Malcy

Here's Tom reading an excerpt. I want an Audiobook version read by him.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=X5FQNJpz2Uo