Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on January 24, 2019, 10:56:10 PM
People say the TV version is incomprehensible - is the novel clearer?

Have you seen the TV version?

pigamus

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on January 26, 2019, 11:01:58 AM
Yeah.

Ah, just wondered.  I actually find the TV version a bit rushed but not incomprehensible.  It feels unclear but in a trippy, positive way to me rather than as a fault.

I've not read the book.

Deanjam

Wasn't the TV version originally meant to be 4 episodes?

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 26, 2019, 11:41:31 AM
Wasn't the TV version originally meant to be 4 episodes?

I think so, yes.

purlieu

Not having the sound issues fogging the dialogue is definitely an advantage of the novelisation. It's probably easy enough to grasp the overall plot from one read, whereas the TV version takes two or three viewings to properly get your head around, I think. The differences aren't vast, but the book just feels a bit more detailed and maybe slightly better paced.

Replies From View

In the novelisation does it say "That one who plays 'That's the way to the zoo' on the piano - you fancy her"?

Because if it doesn't it is missing a crucial detail from the TV version.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on January 26, 2019, 11:40:34 AM
Ah, just wondered.  I actually find the TV version a bit rushed but not incomprehensible.  It feels unclear but in a trippy, positive way to me rather than as a fault.

I've not read the book.

Yeah, apparently it does make sense if you watch it very carefully, but it's a bit opaque, shall we say. Like purlieu says, I enjoy the atmosphere of it and don't worry too much about the details. But I don't love it as much as I do the other three Season 26 stories.

Norton Canes

Whoopi Goldberg asked to be the first female Doctor Who

QuoteWhoopi Goldberg has revealed that years ago she asked BBC bosses to give her the lead role in Doctor Who.

The 63-year-old actress said: "The idea of that just so made me happy. But they were like, 'Um, no.'"

Doesn't say when this was - old series or nu-Who. Mush as I like the idea that JN-T might have turned her down, it must've been post-2005..?

gatchamandave

Nah, likely to have been another of Philip Segal's "ideas" circa 1996 - Guinan's a bit Doctorish, so you can see why they would go for it, thus throwing away the whole white, Edwardian frock coated default setting that they ultimately embraced wholesale

Replies From View

Quote from: gatchamandave on February 05, 2019, 01:35:54 PM
Nah, likely to have been another of Philip Segal's "ideas" circa 1996 -

Almost certainly the 1996 movie, yes.  I think Segal was keen to have a British Doctor, but it's possible the studio were pushing for an American one.

And at that time the idea of a female Doctor would have been less radical than it was once the show had been back for a few years.

Pranet

Remember Twitch did an old Doctor Who marathon last year? They had to leave out a lot of the Dalek stories. They are showing them from this Sunday.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-daleks-come-to-twitch-for-six-day-marathon#_

Deanjam

R.I.P Pat Gorman. Always fun spotting him in an episode.

Inspired by other efforts on this thread, I've been working through the BBC 8th doctor novels.

When they're good, they're good. When they're bad ...

Replies From View

John Peel?

As in... John Peel?

Or not.

At the time they were being published the John Peel who was a DJ had a column in the Radio Times, and he did comment in one of them that he sometimes got letters that had been written to a namesake of his who wrote novels about Daleks.  Where they'd give their thoughts as to how good or bad they thought 'War of the Daleks' was, and that sort of thing.

Quote from: Replies From View on February 15, 2019, 11:15:11 AM
John Peel?

As in... John Peel?

Or not.

Not.

He's a pal of Terry Nation, so got pretty much exclusive rights to do the missing Dalek Targets.

Power and Evil weren't bad, so I went into that one with high hopes.

And, until a certain point, its not awful. There's a series of bridging chapters between the 4 main 'parts' that are quite good.

and then ...

daf

QuoteA friend of the television writer Terry Nation, Peel wrote novelisations of several Doctor Who stories for Target Books featuring Nation's Daleks; he is reportedly one of the few writers to have been willing to do so, given the high percentage of the author's fee that Nation's agents demanded for the rights to use the Daleks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peel_(writer)

To be fair, unlike John Ravenscroft, 'John Peel' is his actual factual name (John Ronald Peel), but given how famous the Radio Peel was - I'd have chosen 'Ron Peel' as a nom-de-biro, just to avoid the inevitable ensuing confusion, schism & chaos. *

"Next up on Bake off, it's Emperor Rosko . . . no, not that one!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (maybe he was like Judge "who are The Beatles?" Pickles or somebody, & had never heard of Peelie?)

Attila

Fabby in joke in this week's Holby City -- there's a golden boy junior doctor whose character is the son of a senior doctor played by Jemma Redgrave. Her character was a major, I think, in the military, so lots of plots about how she's so good at field surgery, etc. Nothing else really has ever been mentioned about the particulars of the family.

Anyway, Jr doc was getting dressed down by someone for being spoiled/sheltered, and he remarked, along the lines that he grew up in a pretty strict family, as his mother was a major and his granddad a brigadier.

Got a bit of a chuckle out of me, anyway.

samadriel

Y'know brigadier is a real rank, right?  Or is there a further Who connection I'm missing here?

Jemma Redgrave's character in Doctor Who is the daughter of the Brigadier, that'll have been what Attila was referencing.

samadriel

Ohh, now I see.  That's pretty cool.

Attila

Quote from: samadriel on February 16, 2019, 03:20:17 AM
Y'know brigadier is a real rank, right?  Or is there a further Who connection I'm missing here?

Yes.

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on February 16, 2019, 06:38:18 AM
Jemma Redgrave's character in Doctor Who is the daughter of the Brigadier, that'll have been what Attila was referencing.

Yes!

Quote from: samadriel on February 16, 2019, 07:14:56 AM
Ohh, now I see.  That's pretty cool.

Yes :)

Malcy

https://mobile.twitter.com/dwcoverstory/status/1096810260151578624

An Ian Levine extended Downtime with Sylvester McCoy. I've seen the original but not this and don't want to.

Replies From View

I thought those Sylvester McCoy sequences were filmed years ago?

McCoy is on record saying he had filmed something for "a fan" that was rubbish and he regretted doing it.  I assumed it was this project.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on February 17, 2019, 02:59:25 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dwcoverstory/status/1096810260151578624

An Ian Levine extended Downtime with Sylvester McCoy. I've seen the original but not this and don't want to.

For a second I thought Levine had cast himself in his own production as a Time Lord.

It is hilarious that he is dismissive of Big Finish yet shit like that can enter his own special continuity.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on February 17, 2019, 07:54:47 PM
It is hilarious that he is dismissive of Big Finish yet shit like that can enter his own special continuity.

It's astonishing to me how poor his output is.  He's done some disgusting looking animations.  The Shada animation samples were poor enough, but he's done others which are basically cut-out stills of the Sixth Doctor and the Ainley Master stretching and squashing with arms and props flapping around in front of them.

And yet he clearly thinks of himself as some kind of undiscovered genius.  I would find it amusing but I just feel sorry for him.

Alberon

Had to have a look at the trailers that exist on Youtube. The bit with Sylvester McCoy clearly bitterly regretting agreeing to it is sad, but this two and a half minute bit here is gold.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=1559