Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on February 17, 2019, 09:40:29 PM
Had to have a look at the trailers that exist on Youtube. The bit with Sylvester McCoy clearly bitterly regretting agreeing to it is sad, but this two and a half minute bit here is gold.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=1559

Atrocious. You have to wonder why you would bother making something like that knowing how utterly shite it was going to be.

JamesTC

Oh dear god, that is horrendous.

That is beyond amateurish. It is like a parody of shit fan films.

They had enough money for McCoy but couldn't afford anybody with even the most basic animation or CG experience.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on February 17, 2019, 10:48:05 PM
Atrocious. You have to wonder why you would bother making something like that knowing how utterly shite it was going to be.

I think he thinks it's brilliant.

Phil_A

Quote from: Alberon on February 17, 2019, 09:40:29 PM
Had to have a look at the trailers that exist on Youtube. The bit with Sylvester McCoy clearly bitterly regretting agreeing to it is sad, but this two and a half minute bit here is gold.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=1559

Jesus, it's like an accidental David Lynch film. Static Peter Miles dressed as a cabaret MC shuffling around in front of clip art Daleks. Wow Ian Wow.

Just had a horrified realisation that the guy in costume "acting" opposite McCoy in the later clip is very probably Levine himself. Desolation.

JamesTC

Quote from: Phil_A on February 17, 2019, 11:01:36 PM
Just had a horrified realisation that the guy in costume "acting" opposite McCoy in the later clip is very probably Levine himself. Desolation.

I thought it was him at first but I hear that it isn't him. I'm still not 100% as it does sound like him putting on a grandiose voice. Apparently it is Steven O'Donnell.

Phil_A

Oh my word, this entire sequence is absolute gold, not least the absurd Gilliam-esque animation of the Master falling over. Actual tears in my eyes.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=1142

16:00, what the flipping fuck, it sounds like Gyles Brandreth voicing the Sixth Doctor.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=936

kidsick5000

Quote from: JamesTC on February 17, 2019, 11:07:49 PM
I thought it was him at first but I hear that it isn't him. I'm still not 100% as it does sound like him putting on a grandiose voice. Apparently it is Steven O'Donnell.

Spudgun?

Malcy

Quote from: Phil_A on February 17, 2019, 11:21:44 PM
Oh my word, this entire sequence is absolute gold, not least the absurd Gilliam-esque animation of the Master falling over. Actual tears in my eyes.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=1142

16:00, what the flipping fuck, it sounds like Gyles Brandreth voicing the Sixth Doctor.

https://youtu.be/-4650h76xLk?t=936

The noise the Master makes when he falls is like a plumber dropping his tool bag. Even worse, the Brig's fall sounds like someone moving a metal filing cabinet across the floor of a disused warehouse.

The Brigadier's voice sounds like a camp Paul Merton as well.

Does anyone know where Ian Levine gets enough money to persuade anyone famous or not to do this?

Replies From View

I had no idea you guys hadn't seen this stuff.  I'd have shared it ages ago if I'd known.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on February 18, 2019, 12:22:55 AM
Does anyone know where Ian Levine gets enough money to persuade anyone famous or not to do this?

Became a multi-millionaire off the royalties from co-writing the theme to K9 & Company - Hans Zimmer wrote most of it, but I understand the main "neep-neep" hook was all Levine's idea.

seriously though . . . he was a record producer back when record sales were MASSIVE :
QuoteEvelyn Thomas (. . .) I brought her out of retirement in 1984 years later and we sold seven million copies with her
- - - -
Between 1983 and 1985 we had sales of twelve million records.
- - - -
You have over 40 million sales to your name. What a career!
- - - -
I discovered that my Great Grandfather murdered a Cossac whilst in Russia with his bare hands
http://www.dmcworld.net/interviews/dj-legends-ian-levine/

He also helped save a few stories from being junked - (including 'The Daleks') - and track down some more (estimated at 35 episodes) - so that got him a LOT of goodwill.

Replies From View

I have a lot of respect for him for saving The Daleks and other stories.  And I suspect he has a condition that creates social and communication difficulties (most likely an autistic spectrum condition), so when others laugh I tend to feel sorry for him.  There's no denying that his own output is dreadful, but he always insists on doing things his own way rather than funding better efforts.

Alberon

I think he burned up the last of the goodwill with top Doctor Who names trying to chase down the omnirumour that Philip Morris had recovered nearly all the missing episodes.

His place in the preservation of the history of Doctor Who is hard to overstate but I can imagine he's very hard work to get along with. He really should have known better than to expect the BBC to buy his animations though.

If we're doing amateur Dr Who efforts, I do like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

Can never quite work out if the voices are careful cut and paste or some very effective mimicry.

Deanjam

Quote from: A Hat Like That on February 18, 2019, 12:30:22 PM
If we're doing amateur Dr Who efforts, I do like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

Can never quite work out if the voices are careful cut and paste or some very effective mimicry.

I laughed heartily at "Oh for heaven's sake girl, go and put something warm on."

Deffo audio grabs for the voices.

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on February 18, 2019, 11:44:03 AM
And I suspect he has a condition that creates social and communication difficulties (most likely an autistic spectrum condition), so when others laugh I tend to feel sorry for him.  There's no denying that his own output is dreadful, but he always insists on doing things his own way rather than funding better efforts.
Oh, he's definitely autistic. That level of scarily intense fandom combined with a lack of self-awareness and no next to no social skills. I've seen him on Twitter absolutely digging himself into a hole because he gets really angry because the show isn't going his way, and I totally relate to that very rigid thinking (albeit on a far less extreme level). I feel sorry for him because his version of Doctor Who is obviously his reason for living a lot of the time, and he's lost that and feels helpless without it.

At the same time, sometimes there are things that are just instinctively funny, and when something is this terrible there's no real way of avoiding it.

JamesTC

Has Ian added a young picture of himself to the people having the meal with the Queen who all get exterminated?

Replies From View

Norton Canes

Excellent. Always thought live action remakes were a better way to go than animations.

Alberon

Even if it is light years ahead in quality this has as much chance as being released by the BBC as one of Levine's efforts, surely?

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on February 20, 2019, 02:41:54 PM
Even if it is light years ahead in quality this has as much chance as being released by the BBC as one of Levine's efforts, surely?

I'm sure, yes.  Unless it is as an extra feature on a release that contains much more.

purlieu

I'd love it to get a proper release, as it's the only episode that would really work in this format. When they get around to the season 3 BluRay I wonder if it'll be considered. It'll be available in HD and will cut costs on animation.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on February 20, 2019, 03:25:30 PM
I'd love it to get a proper release, as it's the only episode that would really work in this format. When they get around to the season 3 BluRay I wonder if it'll be considered. It'll be available in HD and will cut costs on animation.

On the other hand I assume it's not using the original audio.

Also in terms of a season 3 release this story ought to visually align with the rest of The Daleks' Master Plan.

pigamus

Quote from: JamesTC on February 17, 2019, 10:55:07 PM
Oh dear god, that is horrendous.

That is beyond amateurish. It is like a parody of shit fan films.

They had enough money for McCoy but couldn't afford anybody with even the most basic animation or CG experience.

I think it's about status more than anything. "I'm rich enough and important enough for Sylv to say yes."

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on February 18, 2019, 11:44:03 AM
I have a lot of respect for him for saving The Daleks and other stories.  And I suspect he has a condition that creates social and communication difficulties (most likely an autistic spectrum condition), so when others laugh I tend to feel sorry for him.  There's no denying that his own output is dreadful, but he always insists on doing things his own way rather than funding better efforts.

This is the saddest thing - he genuinely was an important northern soul and disco DJ as well, or at least a noteworthy one. He's just allowed himself to become a joke. But I wouldn't slag him off - there but for the grace of God go I and all the rest of it.

Norton Canes

Here's the article on North West Tonight about the UCLAN version of Mission To The Unknown (18:58)

Props to them, looks like they're really going for it. Just hope the result is free to see on the web.

I'm sure I've said this here before, but I'll reiterate, I've been dying to see a lost 60's episode remade with faithful studio techniques. No reason why it shouldn't be done with other stories.

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on February 20, 2019, 06:37:36 PM
On the other hand I assume it's not using the original audio.

Also in terms of a season 3 release this story ought to visually align with the rest of The Daleks' Master Plan.
Well as it's a sort-of standalone that sits a serial before Master Plan, I'd forgive them a certain lack of continuity. If they did go with it maybe they'd offer a telesnap version alongside it.

Malcy

BBC news item for the Mission To The Unknown remake.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qcnFWPZb6Gc

Edit - missed  the post 2 up!

Norton Canes

Possible future stories the crew at UCLAN might want to recreate:

Warriors of the Deepdale (featuring Preston!)
The Ley of the Land
Fulwood Circle
Ribble-ation of the Daleks

Norton Canes

Andrew Cartmel tweeting that Graeme Curry, author of The Happiness Patrol (and extra in Silver Nemesis) has passed away.