Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Some info about The Macra Terror release :
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=the-macra-terror-dvd-and-bluray-cover-art-and-special-features-revealed

Special features for the DVD and Blu-ray release include:
QuoteAudio Commentary: Toby Hadoke presents an audio commentary track on all four episodes of 'The Macra Terror', featuring cast and crew from the original 1967 production - Frazer Hines (Jamie), Terence Lodge (Medok), Anthony Gardner (Alvis), Maureen Lane (Majorette) and director, John Davies. Commentary produced by John Kelly and recorded in London on 4th January 2019.

Episode Reconstructions: Surviving film frames, fragments of existing footage and set photographs are brought together with the original unedited audio to reconstruct a presentation of the original now lost live-action production of 'The Macra Terror', as seen by viewers of BBC 1 in 1967. Produced by Derek Handley. Available to watch with or without an optional narration track read by Anneke Wills.

Bonus Mini-Episode: A ten-minute animated short, built around an otherwise lost Doctor Who episode from 1968 starring Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines. Directed by AnneMarie Walsh.

Alternative Black and White presentation: The full four-part animation is also available to view in an alternative black and white format on disc 2.

1992 Audio Presentation: In 1992, the BBC Audio Collection released 'The Macra Terror' on audio cassette, in a special release narrated by Colin Baker. It was the first time that the story had been made commercially available by the BBC and that audio-only release is included here in full.

Surviving Footage: Less than two minutes of original footage still exist from the 1967 production of 'The Macra Terror'. These film fragments have been painstakingly restored and digitally remastered for this release, with considerable improvements made to the overall picture quality and resolution of this unique footage. Film restoration by Peter Crocker.

Behind the scenes film: In 1967, during pre-production of 'The Macra Terror', film cameras visited the visual effects workshop in Uxbridge where work was underway on construction of the Macra props. Special effects props and models from other Doctor Who stories can also be seen in the workshop, including parts of a Cyberman from 'The Tenth Planet' (1966) and an aeroplane from 'The Faceless Ones' (1967). This footage is accompanied by a new audio commentary track from Doctor Who visual effects designer and BBC visual effects historian, Mike Tucker, explaining some of the effects techniques and props featured in the film.

Censored Scene: A reconstruction of a scene from episode 2 of 'The Macra Terror' that was heavily re-edited by censors for the episode's Australian television transmission in November 1967.

Title sequences: 'The Macra Terror' saw the debut of a new title sequence for Doctor Who - the first time the programme had made such a change. The title sequence is presented here in full, remastered in HD and in a number of alternative versions.

Photo gallery: A collection of 36 photographs taken during the production of 'The Macra Terror' in 1967, featuring original design department set photographs and Radio Times publicity images. All presented in HD.

Production Paperwork: A full set of original camera scripts, studio schedules, floor plans and other materials are available to view by accessing disc 2 via your computer's DVD or Blu Ray ROM drive.

Animation Test: Prior to the project being formally commissioned, this short animation test (of a scene from episode 3 of 'The Macra Terror') was produced in March 2018, to investigate the feasibility of mounting the production in full.
Animatics: A selection of scenes showing how the new animated production of 'The Macra Terror' went from initial storyboards to final animation. Storyboard art by Adrian Salmon.
Animation Gallery: A gallery of artwork from the development, pre-production and animation of the new animated version of 'The Macra Terror', including character art from Martin Geraghty and background paintings from Graham Bleathman, Colin Howard and Lydia Butz.
Teaser Trailer: A short teaser trailer animated by Rob Ritchie, produced to promote the announcement of a new production of 'The Macra Terror' in December 2018.

Additional extras exclusive to Steelbook :
Gridlock: The Macra returned to Doctor Who in 2007, in this episode starring David Tennant and written by Russell T. Davies
Audio commentary: Julie Gardner, Travis Oliver and Marie Jones discuss the making of 'Gridlock' in this audio commentary track from 2007.
Doctor Who Confidential – Are we there yet?: A documentary looking at the making of the 2007 story, 'Gridlock'.

(I don't think there's anything new on the steelbook - as those are all on the series 3 DVD/bluray)

Norton Canes

Malcy

Decent extras. Will be getting this one.

Norton Canes

Where's the 'Bonus Mini Episode' from? And how come Gridlock isn't on there? I for one feel the story of the Macra isn't complete without it.

daf

I think the Bonus episode is the ten minute Wheel in Space - that was shown at the BFI a few months ago :
QuoteA new animated sequence from the 1968 Doctor Who story, The Wheel In Space, is to get its debut at the British Film Institute's Southbank Centre this December.

The 10-minute sequence is from Episode 1 of the six-part story. The episode has been missing from the BBC archives since it was junked in the early 1970's. Only two of the six episodes from the story still exist in the archives.

This newly announced mini-episode is produced by Charles Norton, who produced the animated versions of Power of the Daleks and Shada. It is directed by Anne Marie Walsh who will introduce the BFI Southbank screening and will be included on a future BBC DVD.
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11/wheel-in-space-animated-mini-episode.html

QuoteAnd how come Gridlock isn't on there?
Gridlock is only on the Steelbook bonus (third) disc, along with the confidential (see above ^) - currently £29 from Zoom / £33 on Amazon.

Replies From View

Interesting they would bundle Wheel in Space on this, though.  I assume this means they have no immediate plans to finish that one off?

JamesTC

Great set of extras. Not only do they include two versions of the animation (colour and B&W) but they include a recon with both the soundtrack and the narrated soundtrack. On top of all that they cram in the rubbish Colin Baker narrated soundtrack. All so comprehensive.

Was waiting to order to see what the exclusive disc had in the steelbook. I have just ordered the standard blu-ray. Feel like they could have gotten away with including Gridlock on the standard version and making the recon and The Wheel in Space animation the exclusive steelbook content. They're being too nice there.

Quote from: Replies From View on March 04, 2019, 04:56:02 PM
Interesting they would bundle Wheel in Space on this, though.  I assume this means they have no immediate plans to finish that one off?

I believe it is just a proof of concept test done very cheap. It demonstrates what can be done now they have the character models.

The problem they face with most animation from this point is that you have existing episodes in the way as you do with The Wheel in Space so it is interesting that this test animation is in widescreen and colour.

Do you animate all 7 episodes of The Evil of the Daleks in order to present it all in colour/widescreen or do you limit the whole thing by just doing the 6 missing episodes in black and white and fullscreen?

mjwilson

So we have to buy the steelbook in order to get a non-shit cover?

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on March 05, 2019, 09:32:43 PM
So we have to buy the steelbook in order to get a non-shit cover?

It's possible the DVD cover will be reversible so it fits with the rest of the range.  That has happened in the past.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah, what's the most recent thing? Shada? That had a reversible cover.

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed this on youtube, a video of Tony Slattery watching his audition for the Who Tv Movie for the first time in 25 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzc8meTpvs I like McGann an awful lot but my love for Slattery means I would have really enjoyed seeing him in the role, though not with the american accent in the second bit!

Norton Canes

Oh yeah. I was going to link to that. It's not so much an audition as an amiable chat, is it. Hi Tony, could you just chat your way vaguely through a few of these lines? Ta. And in an American accent. Great. And again, but speak more quickly. No, quickly but in the British accent. Yeah, that's great. Love that.

Replies From View

I'm quite surprised to see how he looks nowadays.  And his words are very slurred.  Has he been through something terrible I don't know about?

Alberon

Yeah, I was going to say that. Especially when you compare it to the clip of him on the video just ten years earlier on Kingdom.

Deanjam

He looks older than 59. EDIT: Actually reminded me of Nick Courteney.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 06, 2019, 04:22:25 PM
Just noticed this on youtube, a video of Tony Slattery watching his audition for the Who Tv Movie for the first time in 25 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzc8meTpvs I like McGann an awful lot but my love for Slattery means I would have really enjoyed seeing him in the role, though not with the american accent in the second bit!

That was lovely. Always liked Tony from his Whose Line Is It Anyway? days.

daf

Looks a bit like a blend of David & Michael Troughton now - mainly Michael, but with David's mouth.

(Is it beyond the R's of P. that old Randy Trousers Doc 2 had the back door key to Ma Slattery's back in 1959?)

purlieu

This popped up in my Facebook memories today. From The Krikkitmen.
Should really get back to my book marathon again soon.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm halfway through the audiobook of Scratchman. Not convinced it's much cop but Tom is having a lovely old time. "CHAPTER TWELVE," he booms, adding "you'll like this one".

samadriel

Quote from: purlieu on March 08, 2019, 01:12:13 PM

This popped up in my Facebook memories today. From The Krikkitmen.
Should really get back to my book marathon again soon.

Have I mentioned that your marathon is the main reason I read this thread?  Good luck with it.

purlieu

Oh, thank you! With remarks like that, I feel I really must return to the books soon. I have The Curse of Fenric in view as I type.

Malcy

Seems like 'The Highlanders' could be next based on it's low amount of characters. 'The Macra Terror' was chosen to be animated for that reason.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a26824309/doctor-who-animated-episodes-reconstructions/

Alberon

A historical? I wouldn't have predicted that.

JamesTC

After seeing the comment a few weeks ago about The Crusades not being possible because of the number of costumes, I took a look at some other stories with telesnaps existing to see if any are simple in the same way The Macra Terror and The Power of the Daleks are. The Highlanders was one that I thought wasn't too complicated. It has a few sets and a good number of guests but a lot of the costumes are very similar, particularly for the British army.

Marco Polo might actually end up being cheaper just to remount the whole thing with the cast from An Adventure in Time and Space. Perhaps if the new Dads Army recreations are well received this might actually be a possibility.

Replies From View

I don't mind any full recreations as long as they are a bonus extra rather than presented as the main version.  The original audio is key for me.  So, for example, I'll take the animated version of The Tenth Planet episode 4 over the recreation that was used at the start of Twice Upon A Time (if the latter was extended to full episode length and presented as the official version).

Phil_A

I love this, particularly Saward's kidney bean-shaped head

samadriel

Replies From View

JamesTC

There is a moment in the opening of the new Earthshock documentary on the Season 19 Blu-Ray which honestly makes Saward look the spit of Dr Terrible from Dr Terrible's House of Horrible.

Replies From View

I think all the moments of Saward bitching about JNT and Colin Baker are brilliant, though.  I would like a DVD extra compiling just those.

Deanjam

So the season 18 blurays are out and about (not mine though - sad face), but there appears to be a shed load of pdf extras included on this one. (Clic on the pic to embiggen it).