Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Deanjam on March 16, 2019, 12:57:38 PM
there appears to be a shed load of pdf extras included on this one.

None of which I can access on my computer - stupid clockwork mac!

JamesTC

Season 12 and 19 have loads too. I'm planning on getting an external Blu-Ray reader to play them on my computer/laptop but £80 to read a few documents is a bit steep right now.

The BBC Enterprises sales documents sound especially interesting. I wonder how much of the sales documents exist for the 60s seasons.

Replies From View

Here's Paul McGann's audition to contrast with that Tony Slattery one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimMCga-ZIs

Deanjam

JamesTC

I'm up to State of Decay on the set.

A Weekend with Waterhouse is lovely.

Deanjam

Quote from: JamesTC on March 17, 2019, 03:16:35 PM
A Weekend with Waterhouse is lovely.

Looking forward to this. Loved 'Living with Levene'.

Replies From View

I wonder what other titles they can do.

daf

Troughton Era :

Walking with Wills
Holidaying with Hines
Pottering around with Padbury

Malcy

JamesTC

Break with Bryant
Meander with McCoy
Putrefying with Pertwee.

daf

purlieu

Mine came on Friday, although I've not touched it as I'm supposed to be going through them with the missus. But then we're also midway through watching The Muppet Show, The Avengers, Joe 90, Stingray, Timeslip and The Clangers, and have about 200 films to watch, so fuck knows when we'll get around to it. I might just start without her and then revisit the released ones later.

daf

Not sure if this was posted before, but, like season 19, they made a special trailer for the new blu ray set :

Galactic Glitter Package Tours

purlieu

"E is for excellent".

Fantastic stuff.

Replies From View

Did anyone ever discover the logic of them doing seasons 12, 19 and 18, in that order?

daf

Something like :

12 - Kick off with the most famous doctor's first season
19 - has the most surviving original film footage* - so a good showcase for the HD

I think 10 was rumoured to be the next one, then 26 I think.

Tom is 85 now, so possibly a good idea to get his covered first - just incase?

- - - -
* aside from Shada, I think there's very little outside of season 19 that retains the original film elements

purlieu

10 was meant to be before 18, but various issues meant it was easier to get 18 out first. In that context, one of each of the most well-remembered colour-era Doctors makes sense. 26 is rumoured to be after 10, which is obviously the most well regarded of The Shit Era, and with only two series I reckon they'll spread Colin out a bit more thinly anyway. Apparently they aren't going to save all the '60s ones to the end, but I think we'll get a couple more after 26 before they do one of them. A telesnap version of Marco Polo (which has already been partially done) would make the first series complete and an obvious choice.

Replies From View

Surely they'll animate Marco Polo?

purlieu

JamesTC

It seems that the release schedule for the rest of the year is Season 10 in June/July and then Season 23 followed by Season 26 at the end of the year.

The talk on the Roobarbs forum is that an easier one (Season 23) was parachuted in to replace a more complex season which had to be delayed.

A special feature was teased on Twitter before being deleted which showed Terry Molloy cooking with the Doctor Who cookbook. Toby Hadoke joked in the Weekend with Waterhouse feature that he would like to go around all the cast and crew who contributed to the Doctor Who cookbook and have them cook their meal from the book. Given that the cookbook was released in between Season 22 and 23 and then released in paperback during the broadcast of Season 23, it seems a good bet that this feature is for Season 23.

daf

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2019, 06:05:10 PM
and with only two series I reckon they'll spread Colin out a bit more thinly anyway.

They could animate some of Colin's Big Finish stories with Evelyn as his third series (all 4 parters):

The Marian Conspiracy (16th Century Historical, Evelyn Introduction)
The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (features Nick Courtney as the Brig plus James Bolam as the baddie)
Bloodtide (Silurians & Charles Darwin)
Jubilee (alternative UK timeline Daleks)
Doctor Who and the Pirates (part 3 is a complete musical episode - with Pirate Bill Oddie chewing the scenery)
Medicinal Purposes (Burke & Hare plus David Tennant)

ALL of those are ten times better than anything we got from him on TV!

Deanjam

Weekend with Waterhouse was indeed lovely. He seems a very contented chap with no bitterness to the world. Also I noticed he has both seasons of Carnivale on his shelf and therefore is a good 'un.

Deanjam

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on March 17, 2019, 11:01:20 PM
Well, I never knew this had happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgpWb1AuN0

I don't know why, but as a shouldn't-be-together-in-the-same-picture scenario it reminds me of this:

Alberon

OK. I know this is a Doctor Who thread, but how the fuck did ^ happen?

Deanjam

Quote from: Alberon on March 17, 2019, 11:37:49 PM
OK. I know this is a Doctor Who thread, but how the fuck did ^ happen?

Oh haven't you seen THE clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on March 17, 2019, 06:05:10 PM
10 was meant to be before 18, but various issues meant it was easier to get 18 out first.

I've just realised another reason for putting out season 18 at this time - Davison's first story is the third of a three-parter, in a sense, as releasing it along with Tom Baker's final stories in the 'New Beginnings' DVD set and a VHS release before that showed.

My memory is that some of the features on the 'New Beginnings' release covered the JNT transition in a manner that would feel incomplete unless you have seasons 18 and 19 side by side.

daf

Noticed that there's actually a bit of proper HD on the set - The Leisure Hive Beach sequence, and a few bits on the motorway in Logopolis.

I think some of the model work in State of Decay is also in HD.

Norton Canes