Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on March 24, 2019, 05:43:15 PM

It was revealed on Gallifrey Base that it was a close toss up between this and The Highlanders. Good to know as I thought the historicals would have been off the table. They seem to be concentrating on stories that have no surviving episodes. So The Highlanders and Fury From The Deep would sort Troughton out. Then they could continue completing stories with one or two eps left...unless Morris pulls more rabbits out of his hat.

The Highlanders isn't too complicated. The British Army all have similar costumes so elements can be re-used.

Malcy

There's a Sil story being released in Blu-Ray in November.

QuoteAn original drama from the world of BBCtv s DOCTOR WHO, featuring SIL, the ruthless alien entrepreneur from planet Thoros Beta, played by NABIL SHABAN.

SIL is worried, very worried, which doesn t keep his reptilian skin in the best condition! Confined in a cold detention cell on the moon, awaiting a deportation hearing for trial on drugs offences on Earth, he faces a death sentence if the application is successful and he is found guilty. And his employers at the Universal Monetary Fund aren t pleased either. Not at all.

As time runs out and friends desert him, SIL must use all of his devious, vile, underhanded, ruthless, and amoral business acumen to survive. Can he possibly slime his way out of this one?

LIMITED EDITION

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Arodor-Multi-region-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B07NBD1R12/

And an Ace adventure in Nov 2020.

QuoteKATE LETHBRIDGE-STEWART IS DEAD!
Gordon Gordy Lethbridge-Stewart thought he had left the world of his grandfather behind him. As a research scientist, all he was interested in was developing new technologies.
Unfortunately, what he doesn t know is that retired UNIT operative Captain Douglas Cavendish has given him alien technology to develop his ideas with ... and that leads to a great deal of trouble indeed! Trouble that forces Kate Lethbridge-Stewart to make a life or death choice! In this fast paced sequel to both DAEMOS RISING and the DOCTOR WHO story THE TIME MONSTER, it s difficult to tell if reality is ... well ...real! Time itself it being manipulated and it s already run out more than once!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anomaly-Blu-ray-Sohie-Aldred/dp/B07PKZ9GBP/

Apart from Downtime & Wartime I've never really bothered with any of these unofficial spin off things.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JamesTC on March 24, 2019, 06:31:14 PM
The Highlanders isn't too complicated. The British Army all have similar costumes so elements can be re-used.

True, just design one sadistic cunt and use that for them all.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on March 24, 2019, 08:04:03 PM
Apart from Downtime & Wartime I've never really bothered with any of these unofficial spin off things.

Same.  There's just too much to engage with once you open certain floodgates.

The myth maker interviews that are released on DVD by the same company are good, though.

gatchamandave

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 25, 2019, 02:27:47 AM
True, just design one sadistic cunt and use that for them all.

Have you seen Peter Watkins Culloden ? Ur-text for this tale

jamiefairlie

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 25, 2019, 09:31:08 PM
Have you seen Peter Watkins Culloden ? Ur-text for this tale

Yes, it's excellent.

purlieu

Lots of rumours suggesting we were to have the next BluRay announced this week, but that doesn't seem to have happened. It'll probably be soon though, as HMV have apparently given a June 24th date for the Season 10 box. My second favourite Pertwee series behind 7, so I'll be happy to have that. It's still going to be a push for them to get to a four-a-year target (and they're going to need to hit that if there's much chance of getting the boxes out while the physical market is still healthy). 26, 17 and 22 are strongly rumoured to follow. I reckon we'll have a '60s one after those. A lot of people think one of the middle ones - 3 or 4 - are likely, but given that an animation of Marco Polo is pretty much off the cards, a telesnap version of that would be enough to complete the first series, and given its position in the show's history I still reckon it's got a good chance of being near the top of the list.

JamesTC

Quote from: purlieu on April 06, 2019, 10:25:49 PM
Lots of rumours suggesting we were to have the next BluRay announced this week, but that doesn't seem to have happened. It'll probably be soon though, as HMV have apparently given a June 24th date for the Season 10 box. My second favourite Pertwee series behind 7, so I'll be happy to have that. It's still going to be a push for them to get to a four-a-year target (and they're going to need to hit that if there's much chance of getting the boxes out while the physical market is still healthy). 26, 17 and 22 are strongly rumoured to follow. I reckon we'll have a '60s one after those. A lot of people think one of the middle ones - 3 or 4 - are likely, but given that an animation of Marco Polo is pretty much off the cards, a telesnap version of that would be enough to complete the first series, and given its position in the show's history I still reckon it's got a good chance of being near the top of the list.

Rumour on the Roobarbs forum is that it is 10, 23, 26 and then 14. There is a documentary in production about the Doctor Who Cookbook (looks to be in the mould of Weekend with Waterhouse) and that was out in between Season 22 and 23 (and re-released during Season 23) so would be best placed on Season 23 or at a push Season 22.

It doesn't seem like Season 17 is imminent. 17 is rumoured because some extras were filmed with Lalla Ward for City of Death before she moved out of the UK (I think it was to New Zealand). I think Season 17 is underrated though so would like to see that out earlier. Particularly as it would be a great opportunity to do an episodic version of the Shada animation. Destiny of the Daleks, The Horns of Nimon and The Creature from the Pit could both do with a new making of.

Deanjam

Malcy

Pertwee looks a bit disproportionate on the box.

Deanjam

it might not be the real deal of course. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

JamesTC

Looks legit. Sounds like the announcement will be tomorrow for a late June release.

Hopefully The Jon Pertwee Years is on that bonus disc.

Replies From View

Interesting to observe that at low resolutions, Jon Pertwee is suddenly wearing Colin Baker's costume.

purlieu

It's a subtle reference to the fact that Pertwee's trip to Karfel that led to the Timelash mural took place somewhere during this season.

Norton Canes

[Edit: Just noticed the weird 'fold'. Not sure what that's about]

Malcy

Norton Canes

He does look like he's opened his chest to let some monsters out.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 16, 2019, 10:35:19 AM
He still looks weird.

I think his neck seems too short.  He has a 'crushed' quality.

The aforementioned "fold" - don't these releases have a little sleeve they sit in, which you can remove to reveal the image without the lettering?  That horizontal line is just the top of that sleeve I think.

Malcy

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 16, 2019, 11:00:54 AM
He does look like he's opened his chest to let some monsters out.

By the look on his face he's struggling not to open something else!

Malcy

Announcement trailer with Jo, Cliff & Bessie! I'd love a spin off with the Pertwee era team.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8WBpPWy7jB8

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on April 16, 2019, 11:11:06 AM
The aforementioned "fold" - don't these releases have a little sleeve they sit in, which you can remove to reveal the image without the lettering?  That horizontal line is just the top of that sleeve I think.

Yes, this is correct.

Just pre-ordered mine. July 8th release date, which going off previous form will end up closer to August.

Deanjam

Lee Binding is the artist by the way.

Malcy

The Pertwee era is my favourite so think I will get this. I have Amazon credit burning a hole so might spend it on this.

Malcy

Death Of The Doctor is included in the extras for this. Seems to be the 2 part version. Missed opportunity to put the 45 min BBCHD version out. I had it recorded on a Sky box but I've never seen it anywhere else.

George White

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on April 16, 2019, 03:22:58 PM
The Pertwee era is my favourite so think I will get this. I have Amazon credit burning a hole so might spend it on this.

Yeah my first Doctor. Been watching some old episodes decently and his early series have the best opening titles sequence of all the doctors IMHO.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 16, 2019, 07:48:16 PM
Death Of The Doctor is included in the extras for this. Seems to be the 2 part version. Missed opportunity to put the 45 min BBCHD version out. I had it recorded on a Sky box but I've never seen it anywhere else.

Is that the Sarah Jane Adventures story?  It's on the Green Death special edition DVD I think.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 16, 2019, 10:08:57 PM
Is that the Sarah Jane Adventures story?  It's on the Green Death special edition DVD I think.

So it is. Think it's the 2 part version though. I wish the SJA stories had just been one ep instead of 2.

Malcy

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 16, 2019, 09:51:31 PM
Yeah my first Doctor. Been watching some old episodes decently and his early series have the best opening titles sequence of all the doctors IMHO.

The whole feel of his era does it for me but the titles especially. Those reds! I was going to start a Pertwee rewatch this month but I'll hang off and wait till this is nearer to release. I lost a lot of the DVD's so slowly rebuilding the collection.

purlieu

The disc art for The Green Death has The Doctor in his cleaning lady get up. Brilliant.