Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Malcy on April 16, 2019, 10:35:19 AM
He still looks weird.

Reverse the Polarity of the Pertwee Face!

Quote from: @timelordbrettsaw this on Instagram. Any chance this would be altered before release?

Quote from: @LeeBindingFixed and sent to the printers!
https://mobile.twitter.com/LeeBinding/status/1118528438539829248?p=v

Replies From View

Did Pertwee ever strike that pose, or is that a body double wearing his crumpled clothes and holding his sonic screwdriver?

daf

Probably a real Pertwee hand & body * - there were plenty of photos taken for each story (as seen on the DVD galleries) - so no shortage of source material to choose from.

Apparently :
Quotethe reference photos that had been sent to Lee had been flipped.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (though the hand may have originally been fingering a wine glass, possibly?)

Replies From View

I certainly don't recognise the third Doctor holding his sonic screwdriver like that in any photos I've seen him in.  Could have originally been a wine glass, but it could just as easily be a body double for everything except the head (assuming the costume is rattling around in good enough nick to take fresh photos of somebody wearing it).

Deanjam

The grip is wrong. He should be holding it in the palm of his hand, not by the fingers.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 17, 2019, 10:03:52 PM
I certainly don't recognise the third Doctor holding his sonic screwdriver like that in any photos I've seen him in.  Could have originally been a wine glass, but it could just as easily be a body double for everything except the head (assuming the costume is rattling around in good enough nick to take fresh photos of somebody wearing it).

Could it be a drawing/painting of the body? It looks too wide for his body. I don't think flipping the image has made it look better really. Just looks odd

daf

Series 4 steelbook announced :

Reading the episode list, I don't think I've ever seen 'Midnight'!

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 16, 2019, 10:34:10 AM

[Edit: Just noticed the weird 'fold'. Not sure what that's about]

His left eye is looking at you but his right eye isn't.

Midnight's a good one.

Currently re-reading Face of the Enemy. I rather like it, rattles along at a good old pace and follows up on a Season 7 classic in a decent manner.

Also, cameos by Lewis Collins, Martin Shaw, Fulton Mackay Garfield Morgan and possibly Maurice Roeves. He was in everything around then.

There's more here: http://www.oocities.org/rico.briggs/fote.html

Even with the densely packed references and continuity, it works. You could almost see it as a TV special, "The UNIT Files" or some such.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2019, 11:30:29 AM
Reading the episode list, I don't think I've ever seen 'Midnight'!

One of the standouts of that series I reckon.  In fact possibly the best episode of series 4 after Moffat's two-parter, and arguably one of RTD's most effective writing efforts for Doctor Who.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on April 18, 2019, 11:39:45 AM
His left eye is looking at you but his right eye isn't.

And it should be the other way round.

Jerzy Bondov

I like series 4. Probably my favourite RTD series as by that point I'd accepted that the finale would be a load of silly bollocks with a truly pathetic resolution. Donna was a very good companion, Midnight and Turn Left are both great ways to play with the format, the Library two-parter is a nice preview of the best of the Moffat years, I fucking love Bleach's Davros. The end of Journey's End is shit but RTD could never pull off a good series end and I don't begrudge him it (not now anyway). The mad Stolen Earth cliffhanger and its limp solution annoyed me at the time but now I'm nostalgic for that level of insanity. The willingness of RTD and Moffat to piss off or baffle the audience is sorely missed. * * * * great series of Doctor Who

Deanjam

I remember being baffled at the love for Midnight when it aired. Still am. Turn left is really good though with a great turn by Bernard Cribbins.

purlieu

Yeah, although I don't have much time for the RTD era, I do generally like series 4. The 'arc' is nicely subtle and intriguing, and there are plenty of really strong episodes. And no Doctor / companion love story. Midnight, Turn Left and the Library two-parter are definite highlights.

That said, just thinking about the finale makes me happy that Chibnall didn't even try that kind of bollocks. Although I think Matt's ones were pretty decent, on the whole I don't like the series finale idea. The original series managed 26 years without a big blow out at the end each time, and I'm glad 11 had a bit of a return to that. Not interested in a big series 11 discussion (because I know how unpopular it is), but I generally enjoy Chibnall's attempt to make it feel more like the classic series than the new one by dialling a load of stuff down. It's very hard to pull off 'spectacle', and I honestly think The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang is the only time the show's done it properly successfully (and even then Moffat managed it by scaling back to the TARDIS team and a rusty Dalek).

JamesTC

The Classic Series did arguably have what could be considered to be Season finales in the modern sense. The Armageddon Factor and The Trial of a Time Lord Parts 13-14 come to mind as they were part of overarching storylines. In general, they did seem to try to put a big hitter last. The 6 part season finales throughout the Tom Baker era for example.

New Who in general largely leaves me cold and while the specials in between were mostly some of the shittest Doctor Who ever made, Series 4 and 5 are great.

I usually hated the series finales but Turn Left/The Stolen Earth/Journeys End was the only one that I actually enjoyed. It isn't anything special and the Rose/Ten stuff can fuck off but it is a good bit of fun and the cliffhanger was hilarious in how it sent everybody into a tizz about a surprise regeneration.

The only New Who Big Finish that I buy outside of the Time War stuff is the David Tennant and Catherine Tate runs (the second one is out soon I think). They really had great chemistry on screen and it translated well to audio.

purlieu

Yes, I suppose some of them ended on 'big' stories (and some of them ended on The King's Demons or The Time Monster), but I suppose I got really bored of the 'everything leading up to this one big moment' structures of the series. The new series has definitely taken a little away from the 'random travels' aspect, with The Doctor being very much "I am The Doctor and A Superhero so you better fear me" and the each series having a number of things linking up to a big 'event' every 13 episodes. Other than the recurring villain at the end, it was nice in series 11 to just have ten standalone adventures without any grandness or spectacle again.

Norton Canes

Heads up - the new DWM contains a 'candid' interview with Eric Saward...

[edit: Apparently conducted by Benjammin Cook two years ago, but this is the first chance they've had to slot it in - so I'm guessing it's nothing especially controversial or revelationary. Though I expect there'll be something Revelation-ary.]

Norton Canes

Terror Of The Zygons was a great de facto conclusion to the season 12 story arc. New series wise I do like The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords but objectively World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls is perhaps the best.

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 03, 2019, 11:29:07 AM
objectively World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls is perhaps the best.

Cracking finale. So weighty and emotionally rich and just the right level of high stakes (it's a single spaceship of humans in threat rather than the whole world/universe/reality).

The only niggle for me is that it doesn't end with full-on proper regeneration. I don't mind Twice Upon a Time as a bit of filler, but I'd say it definitely detracts from The Doctor Falls that Capaldi doesn't bow out at the end.

Was this down to Chibnall not being interested in doing a Christmas special so Moffat felt he had to extend it, or was that just a rumour?

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 03, 2019, 11:45:18 AMWas this down to Chibnall not being interested in doing a Christmas special so Moffat felt he had to extend it, or was that just a rumour?

He didn't want to start his era with one, according to - I think - Moffat.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on May 03, 2019, 01:10:31 PM
He didn't want to start his era with one, according to - I think - Moffat.

Moffat understood that if there was no Christmas Special for 2017, Doctor Who would lose it in future years.  Chibnall didn't want to start his era with a Christmas Special so Moffat extended Capaldi's era into that story.  I think it works, even though it has its flaws.  Going from the Tenth Planet Cybermen story into one relating to the First Doctor's regeneration was pretty nifty.

Oh yeah and then Chibnall decided to fuck off the Christmas Special slot anyway because he doesn't have enough of an imagination to write a story for Christmas Day.  Decent of him.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm finally reading The Writer's Tale at the moment and it's such a fascinating read, and a great insight in to some of the stories we almost got but then didn't. I don't agree with everything Davies says (and though I understand his writing process I do wish it was different, if only so he could have given some of his scripts a couple more rewrites) but I love the passion he has for the show. It's made me decide to finally properly watch The Sarah Jane Adventures too, I only saw the first season and the two parter the Doctor appeared in, but in the light of Chibnall's Who I'm sure I'll appreciate it more.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 03, 2019, 07:40:17 PM
I'm finally reading The Writer's Tale at the moment and it's such a fascinating read, and a great insight in to some of the stories we almost got but then didn't. I don't agree with everything Davies says (and though I understand his writing process I do wish it was different, if only so he could have given some of his scripts a couple more rewrites) but I love the passion he has for the show. It's made me decide to finally properly watch The Sarah Jane Adventures too, I only saw the first season and the two parter the Doctor appeared in, but in the light of Chibnall's Who I'm sure I'll appreciate it more.

It really is a great book. So much to enjoy in it and a brilliant insight into his mind. Have fun with the SJA. Always really liked it and there are some really strong stories in it. It had years left in it too.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on May 03, 2019, 09:01:26 PM
It really is a great book. So much to enjoy in it and a brilliant insight into his mind. Have fun with the SJA. Always really liked it and there are some really strong stories in it. It had years left in it too.

I can't see it myself. I think it suffered from the same problems as new-Who (breakneck speed, little plot or characterisation, emotions set on hyper constantly, constant barrage of sensory overload sound  and visuals, fucking "sassy" teens etc) but to an even higher extent.

I never took to Liz Sladen's performances even in the original series. She had a weird way of swallowing her lines that I presume was meant to demonstrate nervousness or fear but ended up being really irritating over time. Once noticed you can never ignore it.

Weirdly, the audios she did for Big Finish didn't suffer from any of these problems and were really good.

The Roofdog

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 03, 2019, 10:18:51 PM
I never took to Liz Sladen's performances even in the original series. She had a weird way of swallowing her lines that I presume was meant to demonstrate nervousness or fear but ended up being really irritating over time. Once noticed you can never ignore it.

You misspelled "Always found a way to make even the hackiest, most mundane dialogue interesting because she was an amazingly inventive and great actor"

Malcy

Was never much of a Sarah fan in the original series but then the Baker era doesn't do much for me in general.

I think given the chance to go on it would have settled down and matured a bit. It felt like that's the way it was heading towards the end. The Curse Of Clyde Langer was great and good for a show aimed at a younger audience.

And it had Rani it for most of the episodes.

Shame we never got to see Jo Jones again & Ace turn up as was the original plan.

Bingo Fury

I just couldn't forgive her for ousting my beloved Jo Grant. 28, I was.

Malcy

Quote from: Bingo Fury on May 04, 2019, 01:06:19 AM
I just couldn't forgive her for ousting my beloved Jo Grant. 28, I was.

Give the new Torchwood audio a go. Jack & Jo in a sequel to The Green Death. She's at a con near me soon. Her and Benton. Can't wait.

jamiefairlie

Just been watching some of the Tom Baker run and, even though I did watch it at the time, I hadn't twigged that K9's voice was totally different during the 79-80 season. Apparently John Leeson was  not available and  ‎David Brierley did it....it's fucking awful! What a irritating voice, totally ruins the scenes he's in.