Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cyberleader: Where does a Cyberman leave his spaceship?
Cyberman: I don't know
Cyberleader: At a parking meteor
Cyberman: ho ho ho

I think the 1970s Cybermats were decent tho'.

Gave them teeth in the new series - nope!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 04:08:39 PM
I think the face is the important bit and that the 80s one is too chunky so there.

I already said hardly anyone agrees with me on this, so you don't really need to tell me.

I'm with you on this one, I never did get on with the 80's Cybermen, or the new series ones until World Enough and Time.

pigamus

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 16, 2019, 06:04:07 PM
Cyberleader: Where does a Cyberman leave his spaceship?
Cyberman: I don't know
Cyberleader: At a parking meteor
Cyberman: ho ho ho

Basically their square hat apparatus ruins the previously stark effect. It makes them almost cute. The face is still basically the same as the shit-scary ones from ten years earlier, but their headset gubbins makes them look like they're wearing lovely futuristic easter bonnets or something. Every time I see that clip of them coming down the steps of St Paul's I think,  "Ah, bless".

purlieu

The '80s ones have the down-at-the-corners mouth that makes them look constantly disappointed or like they're doing an impression of a blobfish.

pigamus

And the writers HATED them. Absolutely hated them. Robert Holmes especially. Never did quite get that.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on August 16, 2019, 06:15:59 PM
Basically their square hat apparatus ruins the previously stark effect. It makes them almost cute. The face is still basically the same as the shit-scary ones from ten years earlier, but their headset gubbins makes them look like they're wearing lovely futuristic easter bonnets or something. Every time I see that clip of them coming down the steps of St Paul's I think,  "Ah, bless".

The ones coming down the steps from St Paul's did so in 1968, some seven years before the Revenge of the Cybermen design that you quoted in your reply.

They have the wider heads but the tubing connecting the earpieces is a lot thinner and less stupid.

purlieu

Yeah, I don't mind the late '60s ones. The '70s ones with the corrugated piping around the head are worse, and the grumpy '80s ones are the worst.

Until the C3PO wearing The Wrong Trousers of the new era, that is.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on August 17, 2019, 02:39:25 PM
Until the C3PO wearing The Wrong Trousers of the new era, that is.

Oh god.

Annoys me so much that when we finally got Mondasian Cybermen in New Who, they turned to walk and:  STOMP STOMP STOMP just like the flipping Cybus Corporation ones.

purlieu

Yeah, that was the worst part of that story. Part of what made the '60s ones creepy was their litheness, the hideously insidious nature of them right down to how they'd sometimes just appear out of nowhere. The plodding, stomping reinvention in the modern era is so, so shit.

Ambient Sheep

Absolutely agree.  I couldn't believe it when the Mondasian ones STOMPed, I just don't understand who on earth could have signed off on that.

Bingo Fury

Replies From View

Quote from: Bingo Fury on August 19, 2019, 01:13:14 PM
Peak Cybermen design. It was all downhill from here.

I think that was the final time they were good, but I think they were better before their heads were widened.

Moonbase:

Tomb:

Wheel:

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
I think they were better before their heads were widened.

Absolutely - I think the only reason they changed them was because the masks were so close fitting, the actors were being turned into Cybermen for real - fainting and freaking out from claustrophobia.

The big side bits were added to allow them to move their head inside, and to let some air to circulate.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on August 19, 2019, 03:14:20 PM
Absolutely - I think the only reason they changed them was because the masks were so close fitting, the actors were being turned into Cybermen for real - fainting and freaking out from claustrophobia.

The big side bits were added to allow them to move their head inside, and to let some air to circulate.

Kryten's mask went to shit when they started thinking about Robert Llewellyn's comfort, as well.

MAKE THESE PEOPLE SUFFER NEXT TIME PLEASE

Norton Canes

Linx looked great in The Time Warrior and then they messed Styre's mask up in The Sontaran Experiment just because Kevin Lindsay was asphyxiating or something

kinda like the way they went in The Flood

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 19, 2019, 03:45:17 PM
Linx looked great in The Time Warrior

Still never bettered. That actually DID look like a glistening baked potato -

The later versions just looked far too dry and rubbery.

Replies From View

There are a few designs I wish they'd used in the new series instead of the ones they went with.

Replies From View

And while we're here, let's remember that the Silurians in 2010 could have looked like this:

Replies From View

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2019, 05:39:26 PM
The perfect baked potato.

Speaking of Colin Baker, I'm looking forward to this on the season 23 bluray. Pretty much the main reason for buying it.

Bad Ambassador

Never mind India Fisher, get Harry Hill to dress as Egg Wallace to judge the food.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
I think that was the final time they were good, but I think they were better before their heads were widened.

Don't ever change, Replies.

Norton Canes

I didn't realise Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred shared a birthday today. Happy birthday Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, you gave us a fun couple of years to end the classic run.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2019, 05:32:18 PM
And while we're here, let's remember that the Silurians in 2010 could have looked like this:

I don't blame Moffat for wanting something a little more lightweight, flexible and expressive, though. Madame Vastra looked great and I can't imagine a mask like that would've been a viable alternative for her character.

Where they should have used it was for Eldane, the elder Silurian who shows up in Cold Blood. It's so obviously Stephen Moore under the latex, it takes you right out of the moment.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 20, 2019, 12:52:42 PM
I didn't realise Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred shared a birthday today. Happy birthday Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, you gave us a fun couple of years to end the classic run.

The same day was Anthony Ainley's birthday as well.

Deanjam

And amazingly Survival was first broadcast on August 20th 1989!

This is sadly untrue

Alberon

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on August 20, 2019, 03:54:13 PM
The same day was Anthony Ainley's birthday as well.

And all three of them were born in the same year as well.

This is also sadly untrue